Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger experience - flying NWA first time on Delta codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
The 5500s are the older models, delivered in the mid 80s. The 5600s are much newer, with some delivered in the mid 90s and others among the last 757s off the line in the early 2000s. The -300s are the newest of all, with the first delivered around the same time as the last 5600s in 2002, up through the end of 2003.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I find this interesting, merger, poor economy, fight reductions, etc. Seems to me that a wise employee would realize that the climate is ripe for getting laid off. Especially those with a pissy attitude.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Watchful
I can understand why you miss the TV/video. I think I understand why you miss the leather seats. (No fun to draw on cloth seats with ball point pens, for sure!)

But don't blame the COLD dinner on NW. I'm not sure what NW segment you flew - but the COLD dinner is part of the new Delta specs - NW served hot meals until recently - but now the hot meals are restricted to longer segments (lots of discussion on another thread somewhere). Plenty of grief about that from long-time Red Tail flyers.
I agree, This COLD only thing is a great disappointment brought by Delta. I especially hate only getting cold cereal for breakfast. I want my eggs and sausage!

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I find this interesting, merger, poor economy, fight reductions, etc. Seems to me that a wise employee would realize that the climate is ripe for getting laid off. Especially those with a pissy attitude.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I agree, This COLD only thing is a great disappointment brought by Delta. I especially hate only getting cold cereal for breakfast. I want my eggs and sausage!
But look!! Here's a glowing review of the "best of class" cold dinner:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...salad-yum.html
Old Apr 24, 2009, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just flew NW for the first time since the big March 30 DL service changes. Ironically, the A320 was painted in the DL livery. I took this as a good sign. WRONG, I was...

-Leisurely boarding brough about zero words of greeting from FAs and no predeparture beverage. There were no bottled waters on the seats.

-Not once on the entire flight was the mention of the word Delta made...they kept saying thanks for flying NW, etc. I thought it was "Delta operated by NW"

-Safety cards and safety demo standard NW material

-no hot towels or pre-meal beverage in FC

-meal service offered from the cart a la NW (I thought this was being done away with...)
Breakfast was a large tray with NW glassware and mug, pre-poured Cheerios, a wrapped muffin, and banana. I could have served three of everything on the same tray and there would have been leftover room. It looked hilarious on the large tray. I realize no more hot breakfast on certain routes (this was CLT-MSP), but I would have thought warmed bagels with cream cheese, sliced fruit, and/or yoghurt would have been on the tray as well.

Needless to say, it was basically as if there were no DL rebranding of the flight except for the livery and inflight magazine.

This merger appears to be more drawn out than previously thought and customers are going to become quite confused at this inconsistent product delivery IMO.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Just flew NW for the first time since the big March 30 DL service changes. Ironically, the A320 was painted in the DL livery. I took this as a good sign. WRONG, I was...

-Leisurely boarding brough about zero words of greeting from FAs and no predeparture beverage. There were no bottled waters on the seats.

-Not once on the entire flight was the mention of the word Delta made...they kept saying thanks for flying NW, etc. I thought it was "Delta operated by NW"

-meal service offered from the cart a la NW (I thought this was being done away with...)
Breakfast was a large tray with NW glassware and mug, pre-poured Cheerios, a wrapped muffin, and banana. I could have served three of everything on the same tray and there would have been leftover room. It looked hilarious on the large tray. I realize no more hot breakfast on certain routes (this was CLT-MSP), but I would have thought warmed bagels with cream cheese, sliced fruit, and/or yoghurt would have been on the tray as well.

Needless to say, it was basically as if there were no DL rebranding of the flight except for the livery and inflight magazine.

This merger appears to be more drawn out than previously thought and customers are going to become quite confused at this inconsistent product delivery IMO.
I agree with you here...the downgrade to DL standards is terrible....the meals are now a joke and the lack of predeparture bev service reminds me of the bad ole days on NWA....it's a shame to see such a good airline brought down to these levels....I miss last years NWA

PS if I see those "customer service centers" start popping up at former NWA hubs I'll need to rethink my decision to stay - those service centers unfortunately are the worst thing possible and often times used to pass the buck...for now at least there's always NWA's Elite Services who are empowered to help pax
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by socrates
I agree with you here...the downgrade to DL standards is terrible.... the meals are now a joke and the lack of predeparture bev service reminds me of the bad ole days on NWA....it's a shame to see such a good airline brought down to these levels....I miss last years NWA
Um, SkyTeam777 wasn't bemoaning the "downgrade to DL standards." He was bemoaning the fact that the crew on his NW flight wasn't following DL standards. Nothing about that flight was the DL standard. I, for one, am used to a cheerful greeting... predeparture beverages... bottle of water, pillow, blanket, earphones at my seat when I sit down... prompt hanging of my jacket. And all that before they close the door.

The only reason a DL crew wouldn't take care of all of the above would be in the event of a delayed departure, and a rushed boarding process to get the plane off the gate as quickly as possible. SkyTeam777 points out this was a "leisurely boarding process," so most likely the crew was just lazy and bitter.

If it were my flight, I'd write an email to SMS with the NW flight number and date. There's no excuse for these NW crews who fail to get with the program.

I was chatting with my OBL on a flight earlier this week; the DL crews, she said, are VERY concerned about having to work with NW people. When she's had occasion to talk to them in the crew bus, she said they've usually been pretty grumpy.

for now at least there's always NWA's Elite Services who are empowered to help pax
And when they go away, there will always be Special Member Services. You will be treated just fine.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:16 pm

I agree with you here...the downgrade to DL standards is terrible....the meals are now a joke and the lack of predeparture bev service reminds me of the bad ole days on NWA....it's a shame to see such a good airline brought down to these levels....I miss last years NWA

PS if I see those "customer service centers" start popping up at former NWA hubs I'll need to rethink my decision to stay - those service centers unfortunately are the worst thing possible and often times used to pass the buck...for now at least there's always NWA's Elite Services who are empowered to help pax
Lack of PDB isn't a Delta signature... only once in 3 years have I not had a Pre departure beverage and we were running late.

As for the meal, sounds like NW not DL service. If it was DL there'd be nothing....
Old Apr 24, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Interesting...

I was on a few NW mainline flights a week ago and it was similar to Delta. Safety announcement was verbatim Deltalina safety video (think being on an MD-88, just change the location of the exits and that was our announcement).

I've always had PDBs on NW. Most of the time the FA at the door will greet you. Never had a bottle of Dasani at my seat yet, but they do bring them around more often than not.

I believe they are supposed to be referring to the flights as "Northwest flight XXXX, part of the New Delta". Most of the time they'll do this, but I've had crews that just won't do it.

Since April, I've always had a hot towel before meal service. A nice change. Breakfast selections has been the same NW cold selection as before though (and off the cart). I think I got pre-meal beverages as well, and they would top them off after serving the meal.

Safety card still has to mention NW on it - not until the SOC is issued can they change that over (or if they re-did them, it would have to say DL operated by NW). Same with announcements - on all NW flights, until SOC, it needs to be mentioned that the plane is operated by Northwest.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Um, SkyTeam777 wasn't bemoaning the "downgrade to DL standards." He was bemoaning the fact that the crew on his NW flight wasn't following DL standards. Nothing about that flight was the DL standard. I, for one, am used to a cheerful greeting... predeparture beverages... bottle of water, pillow, blanket, earphones at my seat when I sit down... prompt hanging of my jacket. And all that before they close the door.

The only reason a DL crew wouldn't take care of all of the above would be in the event of a delayed departure, and a rushed boarding process to get the plane off the gate as quickly as possible. SkyTeam777 points out this was a "leisurely boarding process," so most likely the crew was just lazy and bitter.

If it were my flight, I'd write an email to SMS with the NW flight number and date. There's no excuse for these NW crews who fail to get with the program.

I was chatting with my OBL on a flight earlier this week; the DL crews, she said, are VERY concerned about having to work with NW people. When she's had occasion to talk to them in the crew bus, she said they've usually been pretty grumpy.

And when they go away, there will always be Special Member Services. You will be treated just fine.

Oh I fully understood his point..my point is (and sorry you missed it) that there are good and bad on each carrier...I'll reflect on the delayed departure I experienced last week, yes it was a rushed boarding and delayed flight (and talk about pleasant greeting on boarding? I guess if you like drill instructors)...the reason for the delay? Well you see the Pilots and FA's all arrived at the airport together...unfortunately the pilots arrived at the gate 20 minutes before the FA's...turns out there was a line at the Airport Starbucks so we were late leaving (gotta have that coffee)....because we were late departing (remember gotta have that pre-departure starbucks) we PAX in F couldn't have our predeparture drink (but hey the FA's had their starbucks)..then I understand just how tiring a rushed boarding process can make an FA so they couldn't be bothered to offer in flight service (good thing there was an open seat next to the non-rev FA's so the working FA's could rest with their peers and converse without the paying pax being disturbed)..oh did I mention that starbucks sure smelled great, too bad that 90 minute flight wasn't long enough for service.....now given the post I originally quoted you'd think it was an NWA flight...wrong...it was DL service (well lack there of...but that starbucks sure did smell good, glad someone was able to enjoy a nice inflight beverage)...and I appreciate your reassurance that DL's FA's follow company policy as long as the line at Starbucks isn't too long....

As far as the meals go - you do realize NWA had a more generous offering dont you?

Yes I did email the SVP of Customer Service for DL (who is a redtailer) with the specifics of my flight....she is a great asset to the new DL (and yes I did compare the DL FA's to the FA's of long ago on NWA)

Oh and you do realize NWA ranked as #1 legacy carrier in the 2008 quality study released in the past few weeks (oh and DL ranked last but thankfully just ahead of Comair which was absolutely last)

But again - sure I've had bad flights on NWA...thankfully they aren't often and I'm sure the experience I had on DL wasn't typical either....
Old Apr 24, 2009, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Lack of PDB isn't a Delta signature... only once in 3 years have I not had a Pre departure beverage and we were running late.

As for the meal, sounds like NW not DL service. If it was DL there'd be nothing....
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I am a longtime NW Plat who for the past year has been flying DL nonstops out of LGA for work reasons. (I got a DL Gold comp until they got the upgrade situation fixed).

My DL experience over the past year has been pretty good--in FC, pre-departure drinks, water, and the occasional AVOD (I like that but find the TVs in the older 75xs useless).

My big grief is no hot breakfasts anymore...I had years of those on LGA-MSP and LGA-MEM, so cereal is a downer.

But overall I'm not finding it so bad. At least the NW call centers will be a part of the new Delta (for years when I had to fly DL out west I had to deal with their outsourced call centers, which were just awful).
Old Apr 25, 2009, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
By the way, a Compass flight I took in FC had all of the DL standard service including a delicious Cobb Salad with avocado.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
As far as the meals go - you do realize NWA had a more generous offering dont you?
Well, that depends on whether you like overly-reheated eggs with greasy, carb-laden, soggy potatoes and a strip of "meat." I understand if you do like that, but give me a bowl of cheerios and a banana any day.

But I digress.

I find it pretty interesting that after all the concerns posted on here from native NW pax, the vast majority of their DL-operated-by-DL flights have been reviewed quite favorably.

I find it also pretty interesting that the vast majority of onboard complaints seem to involve the DL-operated-by-NW flights. Is this something for which DL should be blamed, or is this something that indicates laziness and a refusal to change on the part of the native NW crews?

If a NW crew member "refuses" to welcome people to the "New Delta" (or whatever they're supposed to say), or insists on executing the NW style of service (i.e. no pdb, no water, no hot towels, etc), he/she has no business being there. They should stop whining. They are lucky to have a job.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Well, that depends on whether you like overly-reheated eggs with greasy, carb-laden, soggy potatoes and a strip of "meat." I understand if you do like that, but give me a bowl of cheerios and a banana any day.

But I digress.

I find it pretty interesting that after all the concerns posted on here from native NW pax, the vast majority of their DL-operated-by-DL flights have been reviewed quite favorably.

I find it also pretty interesting that the vast majority of onboard complaints seem to involve the DL-operated-by-NW flights. Is this something for which DL should be blamed, or is this something that indicates laziness and a refusal to change on the part of the native NW crews?

If a NW crew member "refuses" to welcome people to the "New Delta" (or whatever they're supposed to say), or insists on executing the NW style of service (i.e. no pdb, no water, no hot towels, etc), he/she has no business being there. They should stop whining. They are lucky to have a job.
1) your right a choice of breakfast is too complex for some

2) of course the forums in the DL community tend to lean in favor of DL, just as the CO threads lean towards CO and the NWA threads do so towards NWA, all airlines have their pluses and minuses - thankfully they aren't 1 size fits all

3) I couldn't agree more..the merger has happened...if someone doesn't like it then they should move on...pax and employees alike

4) as they continue to integrate the companies things issues will arise -thankfully I believe they will do a decent job of keeping these to a minimum but there will be some (did I get upset that DeltaMATIC dropped some segments while PARS held them and DL refused to correct the issue only telling me I had to see NWA while this was a merged station with only DL ground ops....and upon arriving for my connection to only be told I hadnt checked in even though I was in the air so DL had given my seat away? -note as a Gold Elite this wouldn't ever happen on NWA- No I actually was very pleasant and understanding...didn't send an email, didn't rant and rave, infact I thanked the very helpful agent but did arrive at my final destination -ATL- 6 hours late)

Last edited by socrates; Apr 25, 2009 at 8:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.