Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
There were no actual lounge invitations (perhaps in the future), just had to show BP. I'd guess that E+ will be allowed because they said that DL would be providing them a list of eligible passengers prior to each flight. If it were limited to J pax, they could simply look at the BP for "business."
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by kyushuman
As expected, the flight on Saturday the 4th was completely packed in Y.

The board listed 100% full in Y, and 15 empty seats in BusinessElite. And about 15 standbys (mostly or all Non-Revs, from what I could see).

All standbys got Biz Elite. No Op-Ups at all.
I do see why they do that--I heard the GA explaining they don't want to give it away to paying pax.
But I also wonder, then, why they'd give it away free to pax who aren't paying? I think this is a HUGELY popular Non-Rev route because it's brand new--so I'd be willing to bet there will be a big Standby list every night, and Op-Ups are even less likely than on other Int'l routes--though of course that would vary day to day--but just my thoughts.
Interesting comment on business model differences between DL and NW. When NW implemented the phantom upgrades they let their employees know that the program would mean a reduction in WBC seats available to employees because some of them would now be going to elite passengers. I actually talked with an FA who was working PDX-NRT on the flight on which I got my first phantom and she indicated that they had received a message in the fall telling them about the phantom program. She indicated that she was sorry that the opportunities for employee upgrades were getting tighter but that she understood that recognizing and rewarding good customers was good for business.

At the ATL DO, we were told that the phantoms were going away for a while because of PARS/Deltamatic problems but that there was a chance they would be back in a year or two when the computer systems were meshed.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
But I also wonder, then, why they'd give it away free to pax who aren't paying? I think this is a HUGELY popular Non-Rev route because it's brand new--so I'd be willing to bet there will be a big Standby list every night, and Op-Ups are even less likely than on other Int'l routes--though of course that would vary day to day--but just my thoughts.
Op-ups will occur when the back is overbooked and more Y pax show up/check-in than there are Y seats. Revenue pax will be bumped up to BE first before accomodating any non-revs....

At least in the galley at that moment, it was 4-0 on "It's not fair the pilots get 2 days rest, we only get one.... but THEY have a union. We're voting this autumn, though, on joining a union........"
SYD is a new destination so there are probably more FAs that want to stay longer than 24 hours than those looking for a purely productive trip. Once they are used to it, many will end up choosing/preferring a productive trip (i.e., 24 hour stay). For many FAs (I dare say the majority), productive trips are the #1 priority.

On such long-hauls, I have also heard from both pilots and FAs that in some ways, 24 hour layovers are better than 48 in terms of not messing up one's body clock. Having 48 hours increases your chances of adapting to the local time and thus messing you up further on the return trip.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
For those that have recently done the trek in Y ... how tiring / painful was it? I am booked in Y (low fare) and am wrestling with whether to spend the cash to upgrade to M and then use the 1 mile promo to get into Biz.

Right now only my return has Z availability, but because I'm on an NWA itin. I would have to upgrade everything to M (costing ~$2000). If the outbound gets Z availability and the return still has it that may make more sense ... but is it really worth the $2000? I know some of it's personal, but that's a long flight...
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
1) Op-ups will occur when the back is overbooked and more Y pax show up/check-in than there are Y seats. Revenue pax will be bumped up to BE first before accomodating any non-revs....

SYD is a new destination so there are probably more FAs that want to stay longer than 24 hours than those looking for a purely productive trip. Once they are used to it, many will end up choosing/preferring a productive trip (i.e., 24 hour stay). For many FAs (I dare say the majority), productive trips are the #1 priority.

On such long-hauls, I have also heard from both pilots and FAs that in some ways, 24 hour layovers are better than 48 in terms of not messing up one's body clock. Having 48 hours increases your chances of adapting to the local time and thus messing you up further on the return trip.
For point #1, I can guarantee you there were no Op-Ups, and no revenue pax were upgraded before Non-Revs.
The screen showed 232/233 seats in Y filled, while Biz Elite was 29/43. That was after boarding began, but before standbys were processed. I was waiting to board near the GAs desk, and the only BPs they gave out before boarding were a few seat changes-nothing in J.
When the door closed, EVERY seat was full in J.
So, all 14 seats went to StandBys, and they weren't high-revenue paying Elites, I imagine.
Nobody from Y was reseated after boarding began (much less 14 of them), which means that all--or nearly all--of the standbys sat in J. I watched many of the standbys (mostly nonrevs) checking on their stanby status, so yes most (if not all) of the empty J seats went to NonRevs.
And from talking to the FAs, they all agreed one of the best perks of flying for DL was that they were often going to be able to fly in J.
It seemed pretty unanimous among DL employees that this was a really appreciated perk for them, to sit in J--and it's quite different from NW, which over the years seems to Op-Up Plats at least before Non-Revs. Maybe I'm way off--if so, please let me know--but also from replies from frequent DL flyers, this seems to be fairly accurate.

For Point #2, I will just repeat that it was 4-0 in the galley. I actually agree with you--it would be great to get 30 inflight hours under your belt in about 54 hours--that's at least 3-4 work days accomplished in just over 2. Then you get an extra few days at home! Maybe part of it is just that they want to spend a few days in SYD, and they pilots will be able to, so they are excited about the new destination.
But it is definitely a union issue, when part of the labor force (especially when it's the much-higher-paid pilots, with also better working conditions) are unionized, while their coworkers aren't. Union issues WILL come up later this year, based on what I heard from actual FAs on this flight.
Interesting!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
I was under the impression that this flight was being staffed by LAX based FAs. If that is indeed correct, this is certainly a different trip entirely than their norm. Aside from the Mexico flights and the short-lived GRU service, what other international routes would these FAs get? This is a completely new kind of trip for them, so I'd imagine that there are many different opinions about what kind of layovers they'd prefer. To some, I'd imagine that the 48-hour layover seems very productive compared to some of the normal domestic trips they are used to.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Cybershaz
For those that have recently done the trek in Y ... how tiring / painful was it? I am booked in Y (low fare) and am wrestling with whether to spend the cash to upgrade to M and then use the 1 mile promo to get into Biz.

Right now only my return has Z availability, but because I'm on an NWA itin. I would have to upgrade everything to M (costing ~$2000). If the outbound gets Z availability and the return still has it that may make more sense ... but is it really worth the $2000? I know some of it's personal, but that's a long flight...
... what's the 1 mile promo to get into Biz?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
If it were limited to J pax, they could simply look at the BP for "business."
Or they could stop staff travelleing J getting into the lounge??
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
FAs seemed pretty excited about being there--but only a 24-hour turn for them and they're back on a 15-hour flight! They mentioned the Pilots get 48 hrs. in SYD but FAs only get 24. They said they might be voting to unionize in the fall. Sounds logical to me. 24 hours is pretty brutal to have to board another one of these flights.....
Anyhow, a decent trip!
That's very little time for the FAs in Sydney.

How many FAs worked the flight? On DL243/244 there are eight FAs: four upfront and four in coach. I suspect on international flights there are more--maybe 12; since it's a 15 hour flight, that would mean that there'e be somewhere between 20 and 24 FAs altogether--half of them sleeping at any given time.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
It is a personal choice, but for me it's worth it. I love those suites on the B772LRs; I've now taken them twice on LAX/ATL. I am flying to SYD in August and looking forward to a 15 hour flight up front.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It is a personal choice, but for me it's worth it. I love those suites on the B772LRs; I've now taken them twice on LAX/ATL. I am flying to SYD in August and looking forward to a 15 hour flight up front.
Me as well; what are you travel dates?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
For point #1, I can guarantee you there were no Op-Ups, and no revenue pax were upgraded before Non-Revs.
The screen showed 232/233 seats in Y filled, while Biz Elite was 29/43. That was after boarding began, but before standbys were processed. I was waiting to board near the GAs desk, and the only BPs they gave out before boarding were a few seat changes-nothing in J.
The question is: was coach overbooked??

If it was overbooked, meaning there were revenue passengers standing there with no seat assignments and no assignable coach seats available, then the usual and customary practice (if not the policy) is to op-up the elites seated in the back and move those at the gate with confirmed reservations but no seat assignments into the seats vacated by the op-upgraded elites.

If, on the other hand, coach was not overbooked, and there were empty seats in BE, and there were NRSAs standing by, then I think those would probably be put in BE.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
For Point #2, I will just repeat that it was 4-0 in the galley.
Those were LA-based FAs and California is very pro-union these days, so I don't doubt that this was the sentiment.

Not trying to stereotype, but I think a lot of them like to play and there's nothing like having 48 hours in Australia to play whilst getting paid for it.

I think a settled-in veteran based in Atlanta would prefer to get the trip over and get back home as efficiently as possible. (I'll never forget the Pediatric ICU nurse who was also a Delta FA. She was able to juggle both jobs due to her seniority with Delta, which allowed her to bid for the more efficient trips).

The unfortunate thing is that the LA-based FAs would think that their only hope is to have a union make this argument for them, at a cost of monthly dues but quite likely the same gross pay per month, resulting in less take-home pay. So, 48 hours in SYD with less money to spend whilst there. That, ladies and gentlemen, is progress!

I am one who works a variety of shifts, with rapid swings (night shift one day, day shift a couple of days later, for example). I agree with the argument that a quick 24 hour layover would be preferable to staying 48 hours from a circadian perspective.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum

I just got home... Honestly it wasn't bad! The way these seats recline is that it pushes the seat bottom slightly forward, which keeps the passenger behind you from breaking their knees. It was definitely one of my better flights. The screens are huge, too. I liked the A330 a lot, but now that I see how huge these screens are compared to the A330 I can honestly say that I've found a new favorite plane... I put a trip report in the other thread in this forum if you're interested in seeing it.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
... what's the 1 mile promo to get into Biz?
Here's a link...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...te-1-mile.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.