Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I'll have a trip report before too long, but just to answer this question: they are using the Air New Zealand lounge.
WOW that is a nice lounge! Easily the best one in SYD airport (though I haven't been to the QF one)--beats the heck out of SQ and UA's lounges there.

I am on LAX-SYD today. It's J9C9S9I9Y0B0M0.
So, it looks like it's oversold in Y and wide open in J.
In another thread, my hopes of an Op-Up, even as a Plat, were dashed--they said it's usually NonRevs instead of Plats.
OK so I will report back when I arrive to SYD!
15 hours in seat 37F.... at least it's an aisle.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Maybe once they get the route established, they can raise fares a bit.
The price leader in this market is an LCC -- Virgin Australia.

Until somebody checks out & substantially reduces capacity, prices aren't likely to go up. In the meantime, Qantas is increasing capacity by throwing some A380's into the mix.

You got two newbies (VA & DL) on the route & two more established carriers (QF & UA) determined to hang on all costs.

It's a good time to visit Australia.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:11 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I'll have a trip report before too long, but just to answer this question: they are using the Air New Zealand lounge.
I assume Skyteam Elite Plus traveling in economy will not be able to access this? Only business elite?
Old Jul 4, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
On what basis do you call V Australia an LCC
Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
V Australia (but enjoy both UA & DL on this route, while it lasts)

Until somebody checks out & substantially reduces capacity, prices aren't likely to go up. In the meantime, Qantas is increasing capacity by throwing some A380's into the mix.

You got two newbies (VA & DL) on the route & two more established carriers (QF & UA) determined to hang on all costs.

It's a good time to visit Australia.
Mike, Virgin Australia is a misnomer. The parent is VirginBlue, which originally positioned itself as a LCC, but quickly reconfigured once Ansett went out of business, to more of a Qantas competitor.

The name Virgin in this region is the property of Singapore Airlines, a major Virgin Atlantic shareholder.

V Australia is not a clone of Virgin America and has been configured as an alternative to Qantas travellers.

To compare V Australia to JetStar is unfair and incorrect.

Local reports have UA denying it will pull out, but clearly the market cannot support tickets at less than half the usual prices, indefinitely.

Enjoy this route on US legacy airlines and their FFPs, while two are on it.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Mike, Virgin Australia is a misnomer. The parent is VirginBlue, which originally positioned itself as a LCC, but quickly reconfigured once Ansett went out of business, to more of a Qantas competitor.
Ansett failed in 2001. That's ancient history.

When we flew on Virgin Blue (DJ) last year, prices were ~50% those of Qantas, and you had to pay for almost everything except for checking a bag. Now you have to pay to check the bag. That's certainly what most people would call a LCC (low-cost carrier), closer to the RyanAir model even though they are often compared to WN. Newspapers then basically depicted DJ driving the Australian domestic market.

Yes, they're introducing a whole 3 rows of premium economy, but it sounds like the back of the bus is the same LCC as ever (+ baggage fees). Today DJ's prices seem about the same but it's Qantas that is coming down, probably trying to lose less business to DJ.

Originally Posted by BiziBB
The name Virgin in this region is the property of Singapore Airlines, a major Virgin Atlantic shareholder.

V Australia is not a clone of Virgin America and has been configured as an alternative to Qantas travellers.
Interesting nuance on the names. I never caught that before.

I would hope VA is not a clone of Virgin America. Those small Airbii won't quite reach SYD.

V Australia is patterned after Virgin Atlantic, which initialially was set up as a successor to Laker, the original low-cost trans-Atlantic airline, though it tends to be more upscale than Laker. Branson has made it clear he will undercut everyone to fill his seats. He seems to be keeping his promise, at least with regard to pricing.

V Australia (but enjoy both UA & DL on this route, while it lasts)
The clock has to be ticking for someone, but nobody wants to quit just yet.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:08 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD

V Australia is patterned after Virgin Atlantic
To an extent yes

V Australia has fully flat beds in business along with a bar and a great private row 5 which can be curtained off. Premium Y also has a bar and evonomy is free food tooo....
Old Jul 5, 2009, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Thanks for this bit of (good) news!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
WOW that is a nice lounge! Easily the best one in SYD airport (though I haven't been to the QF one)--beats the heck out of SQ and UA's lounges there.
UA closed it's lounge about a year ago. They now use the Air New Zealand lounge as well, but even before that *A customers (Premere Exec or 1K (Gold or Plat equv) on UA or C or F customers) could use the ANZ lounge anyway - that is a great lounge and all I ever use.

Billy
Old Jul 5, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
As expected, the flight on Saturday the 4th was completely packed in Y.

The board listed 100% full in Y, and 15 empty seats in BusinessElite. And about 15 standbys (mostly or all Non-Revs, from what I could see).

All standbys got Biz Elite. No Op-Ups at all.
I do see why they do that--I heard the GA explaining they don't want to give it away to paying pax.
But I also wonder, then, why they'd give it away free to pax who aren't paying? I think this is a HUGELY popular Non-Rev route because it's brand new--so I'd be willing to bet there will be a big Standby list every night, and Op-Ups are even less likely than on other Int'l routes--though of course that would vary day to day--but just my thoughts.

Inflight service was quite good:
Flying Time: 14 hrs 21 min
Full dinner with drinks after take-off. 3 choices (!): beef, chicken, or pasta.
Then, about halfway through the flight, a snack plate--a deli sandwich, grapes, cookie. Reasonably substantial, actually--better than UA's midflight snack, from what I remember
Finally, before touch-down, a hot breakfast was served--the standard eggs, sausage, and potatoes. Not too tasty but somewhat edible.
Arrival is around 6:30am, when customs can be a zoo, but I was connecting to another International Flight, so I didn't have to enter the country.
FAs seemed pretty excited about being there--but only a 24-hour turn for them and they're back on a 15-hour flight! They mentioned the Pilots get 48 hrs. in SYD but FAs only get 24. They said they might be voting to unionize in the fall. Sounds logical to me. 24 hours is pretty brutal to have to board another one of these flights.....
Anyhow, a decent trip!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, VX, VS, UA
As expected, the flight on Saturday the 4th was completely packed in Y.

The board listed 100% full in Y, and 15 empty seats in BusinessElite. And about 15 standbys (mostly or all Non-Revs, from what I could see)...
Dumb question, kyushuman. What class were you in?

Edit: Sorry, it appears from your above post you were (unfortunately) in Y.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 6:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
24 hours is pretty brutal to have to board another one of these flights.....
I guarantee you that for every FA who wants to spend 48 hours in SYD as a tourist, there is another FA who is thrilled at the chance of working that many hours while spending such little time away from home.

15 hours down, 24 off, 15 hours back: That's 30 flight hours earned in 54 hours clock time (i.e., just over two days). Out of those 54 hours, they would be working 56% of the time.

Is that much different from a nurse working 12 hour shifts? Work 12, off 12, work 12, off 12, work 12. That's 36 hours working during a 60 hour time frame, roughly 60% of the time.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I guarantee you that for every FA who wants to spend 48 hours in SYD as a tourist, there is another FA who is thrilled at the chance of working that many hours while spending such little time away from home.

15 hours down, 24 off, 15 hours back: That's 30 flight hours earned in 54 hours clock time (i.e., just over two days). Out of those 54 hours, they would be working 56% of the time.

Is that much different from a nurse working 12 hour shifts? Work 12, off 12, work 12, off 12, work 12. That's 36 hours working during a 60 hour time frame, roughly 60% of the time.
Completely agree that there are differing views--but I'm not sure it's 50/50.
At least in the galley at that moment, it was 4-0 on "It's not fair the pilots get 2 days rest, we only get one.... but THEY have a union. We're voting this autumn, though, on joining a union........"
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Is the lounge available to Skyclub members or just those in Biz? I'm flying Y in August - sounds like a decent trip.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Cybershaz
Is the lounge available to Skyclub members or just those in Biz? I'm flying Y in August - sounds like a decent trip.
It wouldn't be available to Skyclub members regardless. The question is whether or not it is available to Skyteam Elite Plus, or just J, and my guess would be that E+ get an invitation as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.