Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
Well, if that were the case, wouldn't early to Mid August on this route be showing some Low? I don't think they're doing that on LAX-SYD. I've been eyeing this route for months.

Another thing of note, the stupid "reward callendar" is useless. I've found several "Low" BE colored days, go to book, and there aren't any "Low" fares on that day. You can run it 1000 times and it'll still give you a 120K redemption on that day, never a "Low" to be found. Heck, I've even come back a day later and it still shows Low for the date I was looking at, still nothing to be found.

1) That shows how poor the Delta.com booking engine is.
2) Perhaps we should all file paperwork with our state AG's offices for false advertising Definately a bait and switch going on there.

3) This "three tier" reward structure sucks. Never any Low available, ever.
Originally Posted by LibFlyer
When I booked two BE tickets in December CHO/SYD, they were 150K each. I thought that was "low."
I would consider that low.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Evan!
I just checked BE award seats to Sydney R/T from LAX > SYD starting 7/25/09 and going all the way to 6/16/2010. No "Low" redemptions at all. A smattering of "High" through 6/16. The rest were "Med" at 240K. FTR, PM with "I am traveling on this itinerary" checked. Searching coach for the next two months I did see a few "Low" options. But for BE ... none!

Anyone snagged a "Low" BE to Sydney?
It is my understanding that clicking "I am traveling on this itinerary" box only increases dometic travel availability and does not affect International coach or BE availabaility.

"Low" BE ticket from North America to SYD should be 120K
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
As has been fairly heavily documented in another thread, DL is now releasing much more "Low" F/J awards within 2-3 weeks of travel. Useless to 90% of the travelers out there, while the very flexible last minute can-take-1-week-off-work-whenever-they-want-to crowd benefits . Have I snagged one personally? No, but I have seen a few within the last couple of weeks.
I too have seen a lot of "Low" availability in general for BE tickets under the 21 day mark. Agreed, most people cannot make their plans this quickly--me included. It is no accident that this also corresponds to the $75-$150 award ticket booking fee that is imposed when booking under the 21 day mark..
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
It is my understanding that clicking "I am traveling on this itinerary" box only increases dometic travel availability and does not affect International coach or BE availabaility.
I did not know this. I guess I imagined more availability when booking TATL awards in the past.
"Low" BE ticket from North America to SYD should be 120K
Was this published on delta.com and removed? Or am I just looking in the wrong place. 120K sounds pretty "low" to me for BE to SYD. Thanks.
I too have seen a lot of "Low" availability in general for BE tickets under the 21 day mark. Agreed, most people cannot make their plans this quickly--me included. It is no accident that this also corresponds to the $75-$150 award ticket booking fee that is imposed when booking under the 21 day mark..
According to delta.com, this fee is waived for PMs and "Delta Platinum & Delta Reserve Cardmember". I have to fill in the blanks and assume they mean "Delta Platinum Amex and Delta Reserve Amex Cardmember". But I see your "" point.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Evan!
I did not know this. I guess I imagined more availability when booking TATL awards in the past.

Was this published on delta.com and removed? Or am I just looking in the wrong place. 120K sounds pretty "low" to me for BE to SYD. Thanks.

According to delta.com, this fee is waived for PMs and "Delta Platinum & Delta Reserve Cardmember". I have to fill in the blanks and assume they mean "Delta Platinum Amex and Delta Reserve Amex Cardmember". But I see your "" point.
If you go to book an award ticket, click the "why this is important" link next to the box...it says this:

"As a Medallion® member, you are eligible for greater Award seat availability when booking Delta Economy Class Award Travel. This greater availability is also extended to any traveling companion in the same reservation. "

So I could be partially wrong...perhaps it does help with Intl coach though its not clear....but it sounds like it doesnt apply to BE tickets.

The 120 k I got from their chart online: https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...eage/index.jsp I am assuming they are grouping Australia under Asia at 60k miles each way...but maybe they haven't updated their charts yet...in any case medium is definitely 240k, so 50% of that is 120k which makes sense..?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:46 am

I am assuming they are grouping Australia under Asia at 60k miles each way...but maybe they haven't updated their charts yet...in any case medium is definitely 240k, so 50% of that is 120k which makes sense..?
Cool. I did not group Australia with Asia. Thanks again.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
I thought low was 150K. Has anyone actually booked at 120K?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by PhilC
I thought low was 150K. Has anyone actually booked at 120K?
Well apparently syrwhizzy did but thought that was not a "low" redemption. See mile post #145.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I've tried to get a response from Delta (via e-mail) regarding the award levels for CONUS/CAN/ALASKA - OCEANIA. So far, I'm reaching a dead end:

Originally Posted by jjglaze77 Question # 1
Hi there! Just a quick question for you: What are the award redemption mileage levels for travel to Australia? Delta.com seems to have left that information out:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...eage/index.jsp

I'd like to know the Low/Mid/High levels for both Coach and Business if possible. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Delta Response # 1
Thank you for your e-mail regarding Delta's SkyMiles program.

At this time, Award travel using Delta Airlines is offered within and
between all areas except the following:

Within Central America
Within Indian Subcontinent
Within or between Australia, New Zealand, South Pacific and the Indian
Ocean

You may wish to use our SkyMiles partners. For questions and bookings
regarding Delta's International Partner Awards, please call our
International Reservations number at 800-241-4141 and ask for the
Partner Awards Desk. One of our representatives will be happy to assist
you.

Your selection of Delta is appreciated, and we will always do our best
to merit your confidence and support.

Sincerely,
Originally Posted by jjglaze77 Question # 2
I don't believe my original question was understood. I'd like to know the Low/Mid/High award levels for both coach and business class for travel between the US and Australia/South Pacific/Oceania. In the past (working off memory hear) prior to the 3 tiered system, the "Low" Award levels were 100,000 Miles RT for coach and 150,000 Miles RT for Business, but the only travel options were on Korean via ICN or Hawaiian via HNL. Now that there are more options to the south pacific, I'd like to know what one could expect to pay for the following options (which I would assume would all fall under the same category):

LAX-SYD, DL
LAX-PPT, AF
USA-ICN-SYD/BNE/MEL/AKL/NAN, KE
USA-CAN-SYD/MEL, CZ
USA-HNL-SYD/PPT/PPG, HA

Delta's website does NOT indicate costs for these awards as I indicated in my original inquiry. I'm curious why this important area of the world is left off of Delta's multi-airline award chart, particularly considering SYD is now served by DL aircraft.

Thanks for your help!
Originally Posted by Delta Response # 2
Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

Based on the information you have provided, your request cannot be
addressed via e-mail. Please contact our 24-hour Online Customer
Support Desk which is available to help you with any questions you may
have regarding delta.com. Please feel free to contact us at 888-750-3284
so that we may assist you.

Thank you for giving Delta the opportunity to serve your travel needs.

Sincerely,
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I've tried to get a response from Delta (via e-mail) regarding the award levels for CONUS/CAN/ALASKA - OCEANIA. So far, I'm reaching a dead end:
It interesting that the exact mileage levels for Australia are not immediately available online or by emailing Delta. Perhaps Delta is still feeling out the market before they publish the numbers?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Northwest's World Perks program lists South Pacific on its award chart: http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/direct/charts/us49.shtml. According to this chart, someone could conceivably get a ticket from CONUS to Sydney for 50k miles each way up to 95k miles each way in coach. While this is not the answer you were looking for, it should reflect SkyMiles' award levels especially since folks can transfer miles back and forth between their World Perks and SkyMiles accounts.

But, yes, it's frustrating when the automatons working in customer service copy and paste form letter responses that fail to answer questions into reply e-mails.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
Northwest's World Perks program lists South Pacific on its award chart: http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/direct/charts/us49.shtml. According to this chart, someone could conceivably get a ticket from CONUS to Sydney for 50k miles each way up to 95k miles each way in coach. While this is not the answer you were looking for, it should reflect SkyMiles' award levels especially since folks can transfer miles back and forth between their World Perks and SkyMiles accounts.

But, yes, it's frustrating when the automatons working in customer service copy and paste form letter responses that fail to answer questions into reply e-mails.
Ok, and using the NWA chart, a "low" BE ticket is indeed 150,000 miles RT
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
So, I've been following the SYD fares and stuff for awhile, waiting for the right time to bite on this.

I just noticed their M fares have jumped $1,000.

Tickets for $2400-2500 are now floating at $3500!!!

To say I am *LIVID* is an understatement.

Does anyone see any decent M fares for upgrade with miles that I'm missing?

At the going rate Delta is about to get $0 instead of $2500. To raise it to $3500 is just rediculous when they haven't touched the low promo fares in coach.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
So, I've been following the SYD fares and stuff for awhile, waiting for the right time to bite on this.

I just noticed their M fares have jumped $1,000.

Tickets for $2400-2500 are now floating at $3500!!!

To say I am *LIVID* is an understatement.

Does anyone see any decent M fares for upgrade with miles that I'm missing?

At the going rate Delta is about to get $0 instead of $2500. To raise it to $3500 is just rediculous when they haven't touched the low promo fares in coach.

Thoughts?
The lowest coach fares jumped exponentially as well.....
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Juanefny
The lowest coach fares jumped exponentially as well.....
Strange, I didn't see that at all. Coach still comes in at $1050 SYR-SYD like it did before.

It looks like it's the M fares and higher. The lowest biz class fare from SYR-SYD was $5200 and now it's like $7600.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.