Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2009, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by TTT
You can always buy a refundable ticket on a *A carrier to use the lounge and then get it refunded before you depart.@:-)
I would hope that no person is that desperate for lounge access, but I'm sure it's happened before
Old Jun 19, 2009, 8:40 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
I doubt that would work asto get airside to the lounge you would need tohave aboarding pass which means you would have check in.

Most airlines once you are checked in, will not let you get a refund and you would likely forfeit the fare.
Actually, this has worked for me in the past. The airlines I am familiar with will issue a refund as long as the flight coupons have not been used and they don't consider used until boarded.

Originally Posted by cielak
I would hope that no person is that desperate for lounge access, but I'm sure it's happened before
This is not a new trick and has been discussed quite a bit on FT. It has and does work for those wanting to get in the lounge - or to get airside to see someone off etc.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
I doubt that would work asto get airside to the lounge you would need tohave aboarding pass which means you would have check in.

Most airlines once you are checked in, will not let you get a refund and you would likely forfeit the fare.
The e-ticket is switched from "available" or "open" to "closed" or "used" after the gate agent closes the flight. That's when the ticket is considered "lifted". Before that, if your ticket is refundable, you can do anything you want.

- Pat
Old Jun 19, 2009, 10:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alanw
That's shocking. Flagship route like this and not even a crappy contract lounge for premium pax?

Hopefully I can talk my way into a *A lounge after the SQ flight.
I'm willing to bet anything that by the time the route launches, DL has a contract lounge in SYD.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I certainly hope so. If not, there are plenty of flight options for less than 200€.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
The e-ticket is switched from "available" or "open" to "closed" or "used" after the gate agent closes the flight. That's when the ticket is considered "lifted". Before that, if your ticket is refundable, you can do anything you want.

- Pat
With the airline I work for once you have checked in that is it, if you dont want to travel on that ticket you will forfeit the fare. There would also be implications for you if it is an international flight as it is in this case as Australian customs will have you down as being checked ina nd cleared throguh their system on that flight. If you then cancel that ticket (if allowed with DL) then the ground handling agent would need to take you back to security to get reprocessed by customs. Not something that I'd be trying at SYD airport.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by TTT
For the sake of the route, I hope it sticks!
Good/bad news---I just got a ticket for next Saturday (5 days away) for $588 all-in LAX-SYD.
Good news--I also used $370 in VDBs to make the final cost $220. Bonus miles might get me to 55K for this one RT.
Bad news--If DL is selling $588 RTs on this route only 5 days before departure in July, margins might not be super-high.
Maybe once they get the route established, they can raise fares a bit.
DL's 77L in Y sure beats UA's old, broken-down 744s with no PTV, though E+ seats are sure nice for 15 hours!
I'm in seat 51C. Ugh.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:01 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I'm in seat 51C. Ugh.
At least you are not in row 57! I'm on the July 1st flight and I'm in row 48...not much better. Of course that flight is plumb full!!! ^
Old Jun 29, 2009, 2:31 am

Can you guys on the first flights ask about lounges in SYD and let us know? I e-mailed them and they replied that the question was far too complicated to handle by e-mail and I should call them. When I called they had no idea.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Can you guys on the first flights ask about lounges in SYD and let us know? I e-mailed them and they replied that the question was far too complicated to handle by e-mail and I should call them. When I called they had no idea.
I'm in J on the inaugural SYD-LAX and I will report what the lounge situation is!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 7:16 am

Anyone else going to be on the inaugural flight? I'll be there in the 30's somewhere. Just got the upgrade on the ATL-LAX flight at the 3-day window (shocked and very happy!) as a Gold with only J6 showing the day before.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
I'm in J on the inaugural SYD-LAX and I will report what the lounge situation is!
Great, thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, National Emarald Isle, several others...
Originally Posted by OptionsCLE
Anyone else going to be on the inaugural flight? I'll be there in the 30's somewhere. Just got the upgrade on the ATL-LAX flight at the 3-day window (shocked and very happy!) as a Gold with only J6 showing the day before.
We will be on the inaugural flight. Flying JFK-ATL-LAX-SYD. Row 50 from ATL-LAX and in row 53 from LAX-SYD!!!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
Originally Posted by jet321
We will be on the inaugural flight. Flying JFK-ATL-LAX-SYD. Row 50 from ATL-LAX and in row 53 from LAX-SYD!!!
I'll be on board too...Row 48! In the Sky Club prior! Can't wait! ^
Old Jul 4, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
I'll have a trip report before too long, but just to answer this question: they are using the Air New Zealand lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.