Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Uncle Lars
Surprised no earplugs/shades provided.
I forgot to mention, DL cut the Earplugs/Eyeshades in the little red bag as of August 1st on this flight.
No mo'.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by fti
Are you elite with NW? I was told by DL recently about the "we can only look at three dates for award travel" cr@p and someone else on another thread mentioned the same thing. I hope they don't limit elites/medallions in the same way as the general public (I am a nobody with DL right now).

Yes, this airline is unfortunately doomed. An article in the local paper today speculated about which airline might be next to head into/back into bankruptcy. This time, whichever airline it might be probably won't come out - wages, contracts, etc. have all been slashed in the last go-around, so that can't be an issue to help almost any airline that goes back into bankruptcy. Only time will tell.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: S3
Originally Posted by syrwhizzy
Could find one date that would let me out with an M fare + miles in September, but, no return for the ENTIRE month of October.

Are you F**** kidding me?
Certainly a change from what Is available in August where even cabins on a full Friday and Saturday had availability in Z last week. A peek at the types of fares on a sold out friday a few weeks ago, I assure you the evidence is contrary to any notion that DL does not release a large sample of Z availability on its SYD flt.

Although some revenue is better than zero revenue, OTOH no airline wants to canabalize it's J Traffic by being too predicatable with it's upgrade availability

So, then I asked the agent to try to find some availability with mileage upgrade in November and I was told there's a policy they're only supposed to look plus or minus 2 weeks from your dates you gave them... She looked a month for me and found nothing. Told me if I wanted more I'd have to call back.
There is no such policy at DL. With revenue incentives (up to $100.00/mos) it's hard to imagine any agent not willing to go the extra mile to sell a few International M+ fares. I assure you, your experience was the exception.

Maybe I'll call Delta, but, not being Elite over there, I'm not sure I'm up to the task of waiting forever and talking to a rep that could care less.
Mention you're interested in buying a couple of M fares to OZ, you're talking to a sales rep with an incentive after-all. If you get me on the line you'll swear you've walked onto a used-car lot

Where's the customer service in that? You don't allow me to do any of this research online... and then... you limit what I can do on the phone with a rep?
Again, you were talking with a rep who misunderstood some part of their new DL training.

Not only are they losing money on this, they're ticking their most valued customers off. This airline is doomed.
A little historical perspective here. less than a year ago you couldn't find a published Y fare for less than $2000 r/t LAX-SYD. Now for the same money (M fares fluctuate btwn 2K to 3K+)you can upgrade to a world-class J product for only an additional 50K skymiles. So how is it when DL thinks it's time to temper expecatations by reducing Z availability while still offering competetive full-fare J/D prices that DL is "Doomed"?

Mileage upgrades will continue to be an important stimulant on this young and prestigous route. let DL determine the mix it needs to achieve sustainable yields.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Thanks for the report! Did you just do LAX-SYD or did you come from somewhere else? I'm coming from the East Coast, so I'd be flying all day to get to LAX... and then, well, fly all night to get to SYD. Seems like that might be a stretch even in Business... lol

When you got to SYD... were you dead tired and just wanna go to bed? Or were you rested enough to make a day of activities?

It does suck they've got the M fares too high and no Z availability. Way too stingy.
Sorry! I haven't been on in a while. Actually, I did YYZ-DTW-LAX-SYD - insane! So, yes, it was a lot of flying. I landed in SYD and then took a 1 hour shuttle to Wollongong and proceeded to go through a full day of meetings. I wasn't too pooped to be honest. I did crash around 9pm but that's not too bad for all that travelling.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1+MM / HH Lifetime Diamond
FYI... If you're looking to go soon and you can make a decision quickly, there appears to be some Z availability on the LAX-SYD route this month and returning next month. I finally broke down and got an ExpertFlyer account, and got an email alert they made some Z availability the other day.

I ended up buying 9/16-10/4. One ticket in complete miles and one with M Fare + 50K mile upgrade.

Before my booking 9/16 was Z9 and 10/4 was Z6. Now they're Z7 Z4. I see some availability before 9/16, and there was some past 10/5.

So, if you don't mind the high M fare, you might want to take a look at it. On 9/16, the outbound still had 27 seats available in Business, so I think they're opening these Z fares in a last ditch effort to get revenue passengers to book the flights.

The part that sucks is, of course, I had to pay the $75 administrative fee on the ticket I bought completely in miles because I'm booking inside 21 days. That sucks. They collect yet another fee because they didn't have Z availability for M fare upgrade. Delta still doesn't rub me the right way.

Also: I had to book the M fare + 50K Mile upgrade via Delta. I tried several NW agents and they said there was Z0 on 9/16 and Z6 on the return. I told them I was in a travel agent system and see Z9, on 9/16. They both told me they were looking at both a DL system and a NW system and saw Z0. When I called Delta, they had Z9 Z6 just as ExpertFlyer said. When I was done, Z7 Z4.

Departure is in 9 days, I better get packing.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
Just returned back from SYD yesterday in BE (Thank you 1 mile promo!). Had to keep changing my departure date from SYD as I got stuck in NZ. The SYD - LAX leg had a handful of empty seats.

I think the frustration many are encountering is just because Delta waits so long to release the Z inventory (despite there being 30+ open in BE). If you call and check about flights leaving in the next few days they are almost always available. However, when you ask a few weeks out there is nothing. Wait a week or so and call back about those same days and you will find availability. So while this is a new destination for Delta there always seem to be a lot of open seats in BE so I don't think getting an upgrade is very hard. Has anyone not gotten this upgrade yet? Just ask to be put on the wait list and you will likely clear a few days before departure.

Although it would be nice for Delta to release the Z inventory earlier so people can have the assurance they are in BE at the time of booking. This seems pretty similar to how United handles this as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.