Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Any idea what lounge DL will use in SYD? They don't list anything on delta.com, and the SkyTeam site also claims no knowledge of a longe in SYD. I'm guessing it will be MH, but anyone know for sure?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Melbourne gets colder than Sydney, I believe.
You are correct because MEL is further south than SYD. However this week, we have had unseasonally cold weather in SYD. Zero temps overnight and only making it to 12 C one day . It is generally colder in July and can snow on our Blue Mountains (outskirts of SYD).

I hope DL make it on this route because I am loving the fare wars between UA and VA, DL ^.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, VX, VS, UA
Originally Posted by alanw
Any idea what lounge DL will use in SYD? They don't list anything on delta.com, and the SkyTeam site also claims no knowledge of a longe in SYD. I'm guessing it will be MH, but anyone know for sure?
I emailed Delta about this for my SYD trip in late July. I asked if they will have a DL lounge or give passengers access to a partner one. They responded:
Currently there is no SkyClub in Sydney, Australia and no information
about upcoming changes to offer a lounge at that location. For your
convenience I've included the following information:
(Standard Crown Room access information follows)
So I guess, at least into August, that's a "no lounge."
----
On another note, I bagged the $588.91-total fare (interestingly, this fare is still available even though DL indicated the fare sale ended on June 12). Being the novice I am, I telephoned DL to see if I could use miles to upgrade and was practically laughed off the phone.
------
UPDATE: Just to amend this, DL website now shows this LAX-SYD $588.91 fare available through June 30. Either capacity wasn't what they expected or they're being really aggressive into cutting market share from VA, UA and QF.

Last edited by Culrain; Jun 16, 2009 at 4:48 pm Reason: updating info
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I believe the only lounges at SYD on the Delta Pier are

Singapore Airlines
United
Air NZ
Malaysia Airlines
Emirates

Korean Air currently use the Air NZ lounge I think. V Australia are using the Malaysia Airlines lounge.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:54 pm

Been waiting for years for DL or SkyTeam to make it Down Under. Most of my AA miles are on QF and FJ, and the last UA miles I got were on NZ. This time I'll be on Delta. Despite the absolutely killer coach fares from ATL to SYD, I decided to cough up the big bucks for the M fare with the Z upgrade (thanks ExpertFlyer) for 50,000 SkyMiles. I figured after eight long hauls in steerage to Oceania in the last eight years, I owed myself at least one trip up front. I'm on the 18 July trip down.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by TTT
Those booked on ATL-SYD DL16/17 have a flight number change. The domestic portions are now DL234/244. Still 777 service.

Edit: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ght-244-a.html has more info.
Wow. Next time I fly the LAX-ATL route, especially in BE, I'm getting on THOSE flights.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
LAX-SYD increased by $100 today to $691.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:07 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
LAX-SYD increased by $100 today to $691.
For the sake of the route, I hope it sticks!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by Culrain
I emailed Delta about this for my SYD trip in late July. I asked if they will have a DL lounge or give passengers access to a partner one. They responded:
Currently there is no SkyClub in Sydney, Australia and no information
about upcoming changes to offer a lounge at that location. For your
convenience I've included the following information:
(Standard Crown Room access information follows)
So I guess, at least into August, that's a "no lounge."
That's shocking. Flagship route like this and not even a crappy contract lounge for premium pax?

Hopefully I can talk my way into a *A lounge after the SQ flight.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by alanw
That's shocking. Flagship route like this and not even a crappy contract lounge for premium pax?
Care to define your use of the term flagship here?

Sydney is lovely, but DL is offering one flight a day to a non-hub location. Think about this: No lounge and 14 hours of DL staff versus one hour in a lounge and 14 hours of UA staff. Survey frequent flyers - see what they say.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Sydney is lovely, but DL is offering one flight a day to a non-hub location. Think about this: No lounge and 14 hours of DL staff versus one hour in a lounge and 14 hours of UA staff. Survey frequent flyers - see what they say.
When you plop down over $7,000 RT in BE, a pre-13+ hour flight lounge access doesn't seem an unreasonable expectation. As it's a 777, there will a large group of premium pax, but not enough to overwhelm the contract lounge. There are other 1 flight per day locations that have either a SC lounge or a contract one (GIG, JNB, SCL for examples). Besides, it is a hub flight with a stop in a focus city.
-----
On that hub city note, personally, I'm surprised Delta didn't go for the ATL-SYD nonstop, which the 777 200LR's has the range for. Even if it had to make the occasional westbound refueling stop (probably RAR or PPT), it would still be the quickest way from the eastern US to Australia (QF's JFK-SYD stops at the relatively out-of-the-way LAX). There's got to be a market for it.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA silver
I have purchased rt BE tickets on DL LAX-SYD in February. I am hoping that by then, some sort of club arraignment will be in place for BE customers departing SYD. I too have e mailed DL and await their response. Maybe if they get enough inquiries they will consider having lounge accommodations available.

Meanwhile, I hold a CO PC membership. I am wondering if we will have access to a *A club in SYD, even-though we are not flying on a *A flight.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by cielak
Meanwhile, I hold a CO PC membership. I am wondering if we will have access to a *A club in SYD, even-though we are not flying on a *A flight.
Nol access unless you are flying on a *A carrier unfortunately.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:57 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cielak
You can always buy a refundable ticket on a *A carrier to use the lounge and then get it refunded before you depart.@:-)
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
You can always buy a refundable ticket on a *A carrier to use the lounge and then get it refunded before you depart.@:-)

I doubt that would work asto get airside to the lounge you would need tohave aboarding pass which means you would have check in.

Most airlines once you are checked in, will not let you get a refund and you would likely forfeit the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.