Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day Mate... We're Going to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:01 pm

I got the email Friday about DL going to Australia and immediately started trying to book tix from TUS or PHX to SYD in J for my family of 3. The best deal I could get was 150,000 points and about $80 in taxes and fees per person from PHX to SYD. Strangely, all those flights were PHX-ATL-LAX-SYD. It would not let me book ANYTHING from TUS or PHX to SYD without going through ATL. And if I wanted to get ourselves to LAX separately, then it was a minimum of 240,000 miles each. I wasn't going to spend an extra 270,000 miles to avoid the RT to ATL, but it doesn't really make sense to me why DL wants me to go to ATL so bad? To charge us 90,000 LESS miles (each, 270,000 for 3) to fly 2 legs MORE in J and F seems pretty dumb.

I have a trade show I have to attend in ATL in September, so once I figured out that I couldn't avoid going through ATL on this, I timed the flights such that on the return I will end up in ATL for my trade show. However, I already had DL tickets to attend that show. So now I have an RT from TUS-ATL and back for 9/9--9/14 for my trade show, AND I have a return from OZ that puts me in ATL on 9/9. I am wondering how best to manage this? I already changed the date of the return from ATL on the TUS-ATL RT once and incurred a $100 change fee. Now I really don't know what to do? Any chance that DL would do anything sensible like allowing me a layover on the return in ATL to attend my trade show? I tried booking it but it drove OZ RT ticket up by 90,000 points, as opposed to a RT from TUS to ATL at 45,000 points, so that didn't make any sense to me at all. I'd appreciate any advice or tips on how to approach DL about rationalizing this itinerary, maybe even cutting PHX--ATL--LAX out of it on the outbound portion! Is there someone we could talk to a DL who would maybe take all this and make sense out of it?

Also, we've never flown the new 777-200LR. I am excited to fly it, but my 8 year old son who likes to play board games a lot when we're on long flights I concerned that the seats are not "together" in the way he's used to. Last time we flew to OZ we were in J on a QF 744 and we took a row of 3 seats together in the middle and that was good for gaming, though Isaac wished for a window at times. Is there any particular grouping that people would recommend? I was thinking to go for either 2-3-4A or 2-3-4D. My wife and I would take 2 and 4 put our son in the middle. Is that the best we can do with this type of seating? Is there seat that becomes the foot of the bed in each suite, so that 2 people can sit up facing each other to play a game?
Old Mar 15, 2009, 3:15 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by marilyn35406
VIB, what is $5819? ie class? RT or one way?
It's roundtrip business class --

Delta Air Lines DL LAXSYD IXLEIS fare rules and restrictions
General notes:

MIDWEEK BUSINESS CLASS ADVANCE PURCHASE I
FARES
When origin is THE UNITED STATES to AREA 3 FOR ROUND TRIP FARES

Day/time restrictions:

PERMITTED MON THROUGH THU ON EACH TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR.

Flight restrictions:

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA EACH
TRANSPACIFIC SECTOR ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
DL FLIGHT 17
DL FLIGHT 16.

Advanced reservations and ticketing restrictions:

RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 90 DAYS
BEFORE DEPARTURE.
WAITLIST NOT PERMITTED.
TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 14 DAYS AFTER
RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 50 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE
WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:44 pm
Original Member

Wow! Delta has just launched some very keenly priced fares ex-Sydney. Approx. $1,100 Aussie dollars total round-trip SYD-JFK which is as about as low as I've ever seen it!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by leroy11
Wow! Delta has just launched some very keenly priced fares ex-Sydney. Approx. $1,100 Aussie dollars total round-trip SYD-JFK which is as about as low as I've ever seen it!
Yes! AUD 1114.72 to be precise, and AUD 1394.72 to IAD or MIA ^
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
I've just posted a fresh story from the Sydney Morning Herald, with ex-Sydney intro pricing. AUD$777 (USD$511) + taxes, approx $1077 (USD$710) presumably to the west coast.

(I confess I'd more likely go V Australia in a new widebody B777 on their current sale, before July, given the choice, or the QF/AA deal if I wanted miles / status credits. )

Sydney - DL fare challenge to Qantas, from ~$700ai
(yup, I converted to USD with xe.com for that $70x price approximation. )

Thanks for posting the exact AUD prices above.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by 777Brian
Actually at 16,000 miles roundtrip... if those are roundtrip fares it would only be .05 cents a mile in coach and .50 cents a mile in F to LAX and C to SYD. Those are some of the cheapest fares for a route of that stage length. Haven't looked up DL's CPASM but its got to be close to .12 cents. They are definitly entering this market and trying to dramatically undercut QF and UA. Last time I looked which was a few weeks ago UA's published tarrif for C to SYD is in the $15K range while F is nearly $21K (with QF being similar).
Fares are really low; I just priced LAX/SYD in late August and was quoted a fare of $489 r/t.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Fares are really low; I just priced LAX/SYD in late August and was quoted a fare of $489 r/t.
This is a special fare, loaded a little over a week ago and is valid until 12:00am on June 12th. Book now!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
This fare is too good to pass up; wifey and I booked a quickie vacation LAX-SYD out on Jul 5 and back on Jul 13 $591 ai. With the new route bonus (10k) and Amex bonus (15k) you get about 40k Skymiles or a $400 rebate using pay with miles. Last time I checked the fare was good until mid-December.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by jfinsocal
This fare is too good to pass up; wifey and I booked a quickie vacation LAX-SYD out on Jul 5 and back on Jul 13 $591 ai. With the new route bonus (10k) and Amex bonus (15k) you get about 40k Skymiles or a $400 rebate using pay with miles. Last time I checked the fare was good until mid-December.
It is "Good"" through mid december, but for those wishing to jump on it, you must do so by 11:59pm on the 11th.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:27 pm

... With the new route bonus (10k) and Amex bonus (15k) you get about 40k Skymiles or a $400 rebate using pay with miles...
Do you have links to the 10k & 15k bonuses? Also, how do you get 40k miles?

Jeff
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Do you have links to the 10k & 15k bonuses? Also, how do you get 40k miles?

Jeff
The link is buried somewhere in the mileage run forum. Try delta.com/international - you get 10 k for the trip bonus in economy, 15 k bonus for using Amex, and about 15 k for the RT flight miles.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:09 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I didn't think "pay with miles" fares were eligible for mileage accrual?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
Ouch for finsocal. TTT is indeed correct. One of them main reasons I don't use PWM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 6:47 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
Originally Posted by DLATL777
Ouch for finsocal. TTT is indeed correct. One of them main reasons I don't use PWM.
Though, in re-reading jfinsocal's post, I think he may mean that the 40k earned from the trip can be used for a $400 rebate in the future. (For jfinsocal's sake, I hope my second interpretation is correct!)
Old Jun 9, 2009, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, QF, QX, AA, CO, WN
Steffo--

Unfortunately the BE product on the 77L is not conducive to anyone other than singles. The way the seats are angled makes it nearly impossible to converse with someone next to you (or in front or behind) and if you are in the middle section there is a "wall" between the two seats very much isolating one side of the a/c from the other when seated. Also I saw a picture of a warning label on the footrest in each "suite" saying they are not to be used as seats, so that would make it kind of difficult for you traveling as a family unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.