Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:27 pm

"The was some uncertainty if the state would require bar tenders or allow self serve."

Huh? It was always self serve, so what changed?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by marilyn35406
"The was some uncertainty if the state would require bar tenders or allow self serve."

Huh? It was always self serve, so what changed?
So too was the Seattle WorldClub for years...until one day the state's gestapo, err Liquor Control Board, suddenly stepped in and required a bartender/server.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Exclamation Good news

I was in the HNL SC earlier today, and heard that the hearing with the liquor commission was successful! ^ (Apparently the SC folks had just heard the results today!)

So at some point in the future (figure at least a week, but not more than six years) the food that's "behind" the black counter will be moved out front (maybe with another counter along the wall perpendicular to the main counter), and the space behind the counter will be staff-only for serving drinks.

Although I don't drink and don't really care about that part, I'm very happy to hear that they're getting the food out of that little dead-end space behind the counter, since it rapidly gridlocked during busy times. Having the food out front should help with that.

The big question now appears to be whether the coffee machine will fit anywhere publicly accessible, or whether you'll have to ask a "bartender" for a cup of coffee.

Last edited by DanTravels; Apr 9, 2010 at 9:24 pm
Old Apr 10, 2010, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by DanTravels
I was in the HNL SC earlier today, and heard that the hearing with the liquor commission was successful! ^ (Apparently the SC folks had just heard the results today!)

So at some point in the future (figure at least a week, but not more than six years) the food that's "behind" the black counter will be moved out front (maybe with another counter along the wall perpendicular to the main counter), and the space behind the counter will be staff-only for serving drinks.

Although I don't drink and don't really care about that part, I'm very happy to hear that they're getting the food out of that little dead-end space behind the counter, since it rapidly gridlocked during busy times. Having the food out front should help with that.

The big question now appears to be whether the coffee machine will fit anywhere publicly accessible, or whether you'll have to ask a "bartender" for a cup of coffee.
Thanks for the update ^ It is a tight squeeze in that area for the 'food' offerings...
Old Apr 10, 2010, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
ATTENTION DL MANAGEMENT: Please learn from your experience here. Whatever DL did wrong, please don't repeat this in PHL, whenever (or if) you get a club back there.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
ATTENTION DL MANAGEMENT: Please learn from your experience here. Whatever DL did wrong, please don't repeat this in PHL, whenever (or if) you get a club back there.
DL's goof in HNL was that they closed the (old) SC a year before the merger, and had to re-apply to get a new liquor license for the space when the WC moved there... and HNL's liquor control board is about as slow-moving, and about as corrupt, as a typical one. Surely none of those factors apply at all in PHL.

I'm joking, of course; I grew up near PHL and know how things are there. Good luck!

Actually, I was just in PHL recently as well, and D-gate staff there were saying the new SC is coming, but in the meanwhile SC members get to use somebody else's lounge on B/C... I didn't feel like wandering over to check it out.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
DL's goof in HNL was that they closed the (old) SC a year before the merger, and had to re-apply to get a new liquor license for the space when the WC moved there... and HNL's liquor control board is about as slow-moving, and about as corrupt, as a typical one. Surely none of those factors apply at all in PHL.

I'm joking, of course; I grew up near PHL and know how things are there. Good luck!

Actually, I was just in PHL recently as well, and D-gate staff there were saying the new SC is coming, but in the meanwhile SC members get to use somebody else's lounge on B/C... I didn't feel like wandering over to check it out.
Actually, the USAir club is quite nice... and not that long of a walk.

DL management has made a big mistake is showing all what a first rate club in PHL should look like.

And as to the Sky Club coming.... well Christmas 2011 is coming also. The question is, which will come first?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: SkyMiles
Angry SkyClub at HNL

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBelle
I had never been in the HNL Sky Club, but had long layovers twice this week and thought I'd share some observations since the agent told me this was their first week in a new Sky Club location.

-Club is hard to find because signage is not yet posted. Even the airport security guard I asked pointed me to the old location. It is now in the garden area below the terminal with other airline clubs (JAL, etc.)

-Drinks are self serve, but no alcoholic beverages available right now due to liquor license issues (per sign posted). They did have the NW style coffee machines with choices of espresso, etc.

-Only snacks available both times (different times during the day) were mixed nuts and pretzels

-Although it is a new location, it is not as impressive or new feeling as other clubs. Kinds of reminds me of some of the outdated Atlanta CRCs.

-No air conditioning! This is bizarre because it's in Hawaii! There were fans scattered around, but it was still pretty stuffy.

-Agents were very helpful and friendly, always a plus.

-TV station was set to CBS and some kind of anime cartoons were playing. I asked to have the channel changed and the desk agents said they had to keep it on that channel (what?)

Overall, I was less than impressed. But when you get to go to Hawaii for a work trip, there is no sense complaining about the small stuff!
Does anyone know if the SkyClub at HNL received its liquor license? This is the message I received from DL after I asked DL Customer Service:

Dear,

Thank you for contacting us through delta.com. We are sorry for the delay in responding to your message.

Based on the information you have provided,we request you to please contact our Reservation Sales Department at 800-221-1212, 404-765-5000, or the number on the back of your SkyMiles card. A representative will be glad to assist you.

Again, thank you for writing. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

Sean Charlston
Online Customer Support Desk
http://www.delta.com
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Plat; UA Premier; Hyatt Plat
I'll be there today. I'll post latest status, unless somebody else knows already.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Plat; UA Premier; Hyatt Plat
Smile Alcohol in lounge

Confirmed liquor available in lounge. According to staff, this happened five days ago. Beer and wine self serve, liquor staff served. Both methods tested successfully!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:41 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Talking thanks!

thanks so very much for the update!

truly excited to finally hear from someone that the HNL SC is finally back up and running with a bar!

thanks so much!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great!

Now I won't have to worry about my fellow frequent-flyers who get grouchy when they're sober for too long.

Is the split setup - self-serve beer and wine, but staff-served liquor - typical of SkyClubs, or is that going to be specific to Honolulu?

I'll be there again in a week and a half; looking forward to seeing how they've arranged the food.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: SkyMiles
Smile Hooch at HNL

Now I won't have to worry about my fellow frequent-flyers who get grouchy when they're sober for too long.

Is the split setup - self-serve beer and wine, but staff-served liquor - typical of SkyClubs, or is that going to be specific to Honolulu?

I'll be there again in a week and a half; looking forward to seeing how they've arranged the food.
Thanks to all for the hooch-on-board at HNL update.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ratf15e
Confirmed liquor available in lounge. According to staff, this happened five days ago. Beer and wine self serve, liquor staff served. Both methods tested successfully!
Hallelujah!!! I'll be there tomorrow.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks everyone for the updates

Now only if DL would get recip upgrades with AS straightened out (another thread)

But glad DL fixed the situation... and in under a year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.