Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Has anyone had any issues using the HNL club in transit to a connecting HA flight with the current COVID “safe travels checkpoint upon arrival? I’m coming in on DL1186 (ATL) in D1 and flying out on a connecting flight to KOA on the DL coded HA flight and was wondering if I still can or would get any pushback using the club on my layover? Should I show them my ATL-HNL BP or the HNL-KOA BP (they are both on the same ticket/PNR)? I have a nearly 3 hour layover so it would be nice to be able to use the SC.
You should be fine. I haven't tried going into the lounge while transiting to a neighbor island flight, but I have entered the lounge many times after my flight with no problem (during the pandemic). The covid-19 check point is located next to the gates, so you can pass through and turn right. The gates for the neighbor island flights are about a 10-minute walk away from the lounge.
MCO Flyer and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyinhwn
You should be fine. I haven't tried going into the lounge while transiting to a neighbor island flight, but I have entered the lounge many times after my flight with no problem (during the pandemic). The covid-19 check point is located next to the gates, so you can pass through and turn right. The gates for the neighbor island flights are about a 10-minute walk away from the lounge.
Thanks! Isn’t there a Wiki-Wiki shuttle stop right there at Gate F1/F2 that will take you to the inter-island terminal as well?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Thanks! Isn’t there a Wiki-Wiki shuttle stop right there at Gate F1/F2 that will take you to the inter-island terminal as well?
Indeed. I would, however, encourage you to check from what gate your HA flight will be departing. If it's departing from one of the B gates, it's really not worth the time or effort to take the WikiWiki.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyinhwn
Indeed. I would, however, encourage you to check from what gate your HA flight will be departing. If it's departing from one of the B gates, it's really not worth the time or effort to take the WikiWiki.
Thanks! I’ve looked at the history of my inter-island flight and it appears to be consistently going out of the A-Gates
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thought I would post an update for members departing from HNL with updates under the current COVID/SafeTravels rules in Hawaii:

First, entry to the Sky Club is subject to the rules of the City and County of Honolulu as documented here - https://www.oneoahu.org/safe-access-oahu At the time of this post, "fully-vaccinated" uses the CDC definition of one J+J or two Pfizer or Modernas. It's speculated that this may be changed to require a vaccine booster starting in mid-February 2022. If you enter the club to do grab and go, you may not be subject to the rules.

I've used the club twice when flying MSP-HNL, most recently on January 20. Both times it was a little crowded with the ATL and MSP passengers sharing the space before the ATL flight boards. As far as service, all warm food must be ordered from staff in the bar area who will plate it and hand it to you. While I was there, the staff did a few passes offering hot snacks such as a small bowl of nachos.

As far as drinks, there is open access to the soft drink dispenser and iced tea and water; adult beverages are obtained via the bartender. The staff are all very nice.

If you've never had mochi ice cream, I highly recommend finding the cooler across from the bar (where chips and other to-go snacks are) and try the offerings from Bubbies (local Hawaiian place). They had vanilla, coffee, strawberry, and blood orange flavors. I'm partial to the Dole Whip that is at the HNL United Club but this was a close second. The quality/variety of the food was much better than the United Club.

The really annoying part of the Sky Club experience in HNL is not DL's fault. The central TSA checkpoint that's closest to the club is rarely open and the PreCheck line is at the far ewa end of the terminal so it's a bit of a hoof from the DL check-in area. Then the exterior corridor that connects the Central Terminal (where the DL gates are) closest to the Sky Club is closed to outbound traffic as it's being used as a checkpoint for incoming travelers for the Safe Travels screening. You basically have to walk all the way back to the TSA checkpoint and then up the corridor nearest to it to get to the gates; allow at least 10 min to walk from the club to the DL gates.
obscure2k and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Thought I would post an update for members departing from HNL with updates under the current COVID/SafeTravels rules in Hawaii:

First, entry to the Sky Club is subject to the rules of the City and County of Honolulu as documented here - https://www.oneoahu.org/safe-access-oahu At the time of this post, "fully-vaccinated" uses the CDC definition of one J+J or two Pfizer or Modernas. It's speculated that this may be changed to require a vaccine booster starting in mid-February 2022. If you enter the club to do grab and go, you may not be subject to the rules.

I've used the club twice when flying MSP-HNL, most recently on January 20. Both times it was a little crowded with the ATL and MSP passengers sharing the space before the ATL flight boards. As far as service, all warm food must be ordered from staff in the bar area who will plate it and hand it to you. While I was there, the staff did a few passes offering hot snacks such as a small bowl of nachos.

As far as drinks, there is open access to the soft drink dispenser and iced tea and water; adult beverages are obtained via the bartender. The staff are all very nice.

If you've never had mochi ice cream, I highly recommend finding the cooler across from the bar (where chips and other to-go snacks are) and try the offerings from Bubbies (local Hawaiian place). They had vanilla, coffee, strawberry, and blood orange flavors. I'm partial to the Dole Whip that is at the HNL United Club but this was a close second. The quality/variety of the food was much better than the United Club.

The really annoying part of the Sky Club experience in HNL is not DL's fault. The central TSA checkpoint that's closest to the club is rarely open and the PreCheck line is at the far ewa end of the terminal so it's a bit of a hoof from the DL check-in area. Then the exterior corridor that connects the Central Terminal (where the DL gates are) closest to the Sky Club is closed to outbound traffic as it's being used as a checkpoint for incoming travelers for the Safe Travels screening. You basically have to walk all the way back to the TSA checkpoint and then up the corridor nearest to it to get to the gates; allow at least 10 min to walk from the club to the DL gates.
I'm confused by your discussion of access paths. Is this HNL SC landside or airside? Ten minutes doesn't seem like enough time to allow for TSA airport security, even with CLEAR/SkyPriority/TSA PreCheck.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:56 am

• The Delta lobby is curbside, second from the left in the map below. Note - Skycap service has largely been unavailable due to COVID staffing reductions.
  • The new CONRAC (Consolidated Rental Car Center) is shown as a mustard-colored item to the left of the Terminal Two Parking Garage; one can easily walk to/from the CONRAC from Terminal 2.
  • The Sky Club is gateside across from Gate F1.
  • The gates DL most frequently uses are Gates E8 - E10 at the end of the central concourse of Terminal 2.
  • Under the current staffing and operations, TSA PreCheck is normally only from the checkpoint nearest Gate D1
  • To get to the E Gates from the Sky Club, exit the club, turn right, and then walk towards the Gate D1 TSA checkpoint taking the diagonal corridor to the left to enter the central concourse. This will take about 10 minutes from Club to gate.

AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 25, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:37 pm

[QUOTE=FlyinHawaiian;33933563] Under the current staffing and operations, TSA PreCheck is normally only from the checkpoint nearest Gate D1

This hasn't been my experience, and I fly in to or out of HNL every 2-3 weeks. It's possible of course that things have changed since I last flew out January 11 but almost all year there has been a dedicated PreCheck checkpoint about halfway between the airline counters and the "main" checkpoint opposite D1. After clearing TSA, it's then only about 150 feet to the left to the Sky Club.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:27 pm

Good to know; what dates/times are you departing HNL? I'm normally going through around 2-4 pm, as recently as last Thursday. I would love it if the central checkpoint (where the old GOLD LINE used to be) was kept open.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 2:59 pm

I'm usually on the 1-ish DL495 to LAX, so maybe they're shutting it down after midday?
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:01 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

• To get to the E Gates from the Sky Club, exit the club, turn right, and then walk towards the Gate D1 TSA checkpoint taking the diagonal corridor to the left to enter the central concourse. This will take about 10 minutes from Club to gate.

I think you can still go down to the garden level on the Diamond Head side, then walk along the ground/garden level toward the central terminal E Gates/Qantas Pub (née Sky Club) then pop back up to the departures level.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:23 pm

A few updates now that SafeTravels is over:

Delta is starting to use Gate F1 and F2 more, which is a good thing as they are right outside of the Sky Club. It looks like Southwest is now using the gates at the end of E that Delta used in the past.

When I went thought TSA at 1:45pm this past Friday, the central checkpoint was open for PreCheck.

The warm food options at the Sky Club buffet were Spam fried rice, kalua pork and cabbage, white calrose rice, Japanese veggie curry stew, pineapple chicken, mango-ginger tofu and broccoli, and a saimin bar. There was also a full salad bar with sandwiches and wraps.

I arrive at 2pm and left a at 4:15pm and the club was about 3/4 full at peak (mostly ATL and MSP passengers, I suspect).
Old Oct 23, 2022, 1:43 pm

Access?

Hi - new here.

im flying delta one from SLC to KOA with a 4 hour stop in HNL. Any of you know if I can access the club upon arrival before HA flight to KOA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.