Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honolulu HNL Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2010, 4:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Still no license as of today. The lounge was packed - one woman ended up sitting in one of the office/workcenter chairs before she gave up andd left.

Very unimpressed - reminds me of the "closet" lounge in ATL.

Am currently sitting in the LAX club - only a few seats here.

The Skyclub product is not worth paying for like it used to be.
So its been over six months since my first encounter with DL here, and no license has been procured? Perhaps AS should change who they are utilizing for their club in HNL... CO PC still has complimentary beverages
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
as of 3/15/10 no liquor license, there is a sign that says in process of getting one
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:25 pm
EJ8

Programs: DM / Plutonium Medallion
Worst. SkyClub. Ever.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Hertz4me
as of 3/15/10 no liquor license, there is a sign that says in process of getting one
If the bottom part has Japanese, that same sign was up 1/15/10 & 1/17/10 when I visited
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by EJ8
Worst. SkyClub. Ever.
If you're after booze, certainly. And really, Honolulu deserves better than this SC (and better than the old WC location). Even, I'd say, better than the CO PC.

The HNL WC-now-SC staff were regarded as some of the best in the NW system, and I think they're generally quite good, although finding their way around the new DL systems can be an adventure at times.

But I'd love to see a bigger club, more seating, more work desks, and all that... and yes, a bar for EJ8.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Hertz4me
Thanks for update. Guess I'll make sure my flask is filled on 3/23 for my mainline return.

Ridiculous handling on this though...I mean I was through there in early August 2009, and they had that sign up. I've heard the state is a bit slow but come on...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by N522US
Thanks for update. Guess I'll make sure my flask is filled on 3/23 for my mainline return.

Ridiculous handling on this though...I mean I was through there in early August 2009, and they had that sign up. I've heard the state is a bit slow but come on...
So... will it take more then a year? Sounds like the US Lounge in BOS is still waiting for liquor too after over a year (IIRC they were changing vendors).

Last edited by beckoa; Mar 29, 2010 at 2:09 am Reason: Added link
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that I care, but...

I was in the HNL SC last night and again this morning, and during one of those times, I overheard staff talking to another person about this.

Liquor licenses are typically issued for a specific location. So when Delta, in its infinite wisdom, closed the Crown Club, that liquor license went poof. And moving the Sky Club from the old World Club space to the old Crown Club space either meant the World Club's license went poof, or at the very least, they had to file to transfer it (I'm not sure which is the case).

So basically Delta and some governmental entity are going through a process about getting the license again. In an ideal (simple) world, that might be the Honolulu Liquor Commission, which seems to meet weekly - but I suspect since the airport is a state thing, the Hawaii Department of Transportation's Airport Operations Office might somehow be involved instead.

The staffer indicated that they're getting to the point of some hearings (possibly the final hearings), so things are at least moving along - but I didn't ask if they had an ETA (I don't drink, so I don't care). I'll be there again in a couple weeks and will try to remember to ask what's going on with it. While I'm at it, maybe I can find out whether they have any plans to rearrange the food and drink service area into something that isn't a tight dead-end space conducive to traffic jams.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by beckoa
So... will it take more then a year? Sounds like the US Lounge in BOS is still waiting for liquor too after over a year (IIRC they were changing vendors).
This was the excuse given to me yesterday in BOS.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Public hearing tomorrow 4/1/2010 for the liquor license per staff members. Not sure if that is the end of the process or just step x in a multi-step process.
Old Mar 31, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat; UA Premier; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bwhite
Public hearing tomorrow 4/1/2010 for the liquor license per staff members. Not sure if that is the end of the process or just step x in a multi-step process.
I'll kinda be disappointed. Atmosphere in the bar upstairs is actually nicer.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was through on 3/31 and also heard about the hearing from the staff members (who said that they're not getting showers, though)... apparently a lot of the delay was due to the entire county liquor board getting fired at one point, and then a couple members being investigated for corruption, and so on...
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBelle
I-No air conditioning! This is bizarre because it's in Hawaii! There were fans scattered around, but it was still pretty stuffy.
This is my major beef with HI in general. The place is generally under air conditioned...so many businesses have a hot, humid, stuffy interior because they don't air condition.

It's as if the state has the attitude "This is paradise. Our weather is perfect. We don't need to insulate, air condition, etc." This mainlander finds it to be a bit uncomfortable. Oh well, each to his own.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I finally got to see the HNL SkyClub a couple of weeks ago. While it's not the nicest in the system, it is definitely nicer than the old WorldClub that was in HNL.

-RM
Old Apr 2, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by DLFan2
This is my major beef with HI in general. The place is generally under air conditioned...so many businesses have a hot, humid, stuffy interior because they don't air condition.

It's as if the state has the attitude "This is paradise. Our weather is perfect. We don't need to insulate, air condition, etc." This mainlander finds it to be a bit uncomfortable. Oh well, each to his own.
I think the extreme cost of electricity plays a role in it. With rates ~ $0.25 per kwh residents and businesses tend to be very energy conscious. That is 3 to 4 times higher than typical rates in the lower 48. During the oil hike last year these rates went much higher. All electricity is provided by diesel generators (whole island).

Way OT but, I do a lot of work in the Caribbean where rates are even higher. There it costs ~ $750 per year to run an older PC left on all day. Turning them off at night saves ~ 20%. For a business with a couple hundred PCs that adds up quickly. Newer PCs run ~ $450 per year, dumb terminals ~$80. Factor in lighting, HVAC and other costs and it can be down right expensive to run a business on the islands. Energy costs are a significant factor in OpEx vs. CapEx purchasing decisions.

Back on topic, the counter staff mentioned that once the hearing is done, assuming a positive outcome, they needed to file paperwork and get the actual license. They have made arrangements with vendors so they are in a position to stock the bar ASAP. The was some uncertainty if the state would require bar tenders or allow self serve. I think that was going to be cleared up during the hearing. Mid-April was the "hope" date offered by the club staff. Heading through on Sunday and will try to find out how the hearing went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.