Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles LAX Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Los Angeles LAX Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Scott6067
WOW!! DL sure seems desperate for new SC members. I don't mind clubs that let in AMEX or Priority Pass members in but when they give away free visits this is just wrong. This is a direct downgrade of the program. Hopefully this will be the only free promotion we see out there!
They have done this before. Expect it to episodically continue.

One has to wonder, now that they are comping DMs, are they making any money on the clubs... or should we expect even more service cuts?

Would increased enrollments push them above some break-even point, or would they just be losing money per head on a greater number of heads?

I am really cynical about DL's ability to turn a consistent profit on any revenue stream other than fees that the PAX are mandated to pay if they want to fly at all, or redeem their miles, or change their tickets, or check their baggage.

Attracting business, and making money based upon the true value of the service provided, seems to be difficult for DL management.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Just got that same email! The 20% plus going Gold in Sep might actually push me into joining. The $50 for "new members" is irritating since I was a member four years ago.

Last edited by dd992emo; Sep 9, 2010 at 1:24 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:07 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I would have renewed my expired membership at 20% off, but again an ATL flyer not targeted for a promo. Thanks for the ROCK Delta!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
I got the email. I am flying out of LAX at 7AM on Sunday, so I won't get to check it out.

I must be missing something...why would I buy a membership vs. Delta Reserve Card where I also get MQM miles in addition to access?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Scott6067
WOW!! DL sure seems desperate for new SC members. I don't mind clubs that let in AMEX or Priority Pass members in but when they give away free visits this is just wrong. This is a direct downgrade of the program. Hopefully this will be the only free promotion we see out there!
I don't see where they are desparate for anything, just trying to sell some memberships. Is there something wrong with that?

Ann I don't understand what you mean by a "downgrade of the program." The email didn't say anything about taking any food off the table or pulling the spirits or cutting back on services. Yes, it will be a little more crowded temporarily as passengers check it out but is that any different than a health club or anyone else that offers trial memberships?

And I give DL credit for choosing LAX. With the renovations complete, it is a pretty nice looking lounge. Chill out a little and let DL try to make some money here.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Looking forward to it--have two trips through LAX in the next two weeks and checking out the lounge will be on my list of things to do...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
(dumb question deleted)

Oh, never mind. I just figured it out. It offered me 20% off the Silver member fee PLUS the $50 "new members" fee.

On a side note, I wish they offered SC for discounted miles.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Sep 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jfulcher
I would have renewed my expired membership at 20% off, but again an ATL flyer not targeted for a promo. Thanks for the ROCK Delta!
I would guess that the code is not targeted, and that you could get the discount on the web or in person. It's worth a shot. I'd give it a try if I weren't already good through August 2013.

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
After signing in as a Silver and then I typing in the code, it only displayed 20% off the General Member fee at $370, which isn't quite 20% off anyway.

Shouldn't it be offering me 20% off $400 at $320?
When they had the 20% off last year, it was 20% off of the discounted rates. So I signed up for 3 years.

Might have some luck trying in person at a SC.

David
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:24 pm

Got a rock also

I tried the code LAXOH for the 20% off on deta.com, would not work for me
Old Sep 9, 2010, 5:51 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I'll be in LAX at the end of Sept, so this is nicely timed. I think the important question here is does DL drive new revenue/membership from these promotions? If so, then I don't see what the problem is.

Highlights from the T&C:
  • You need to print the email (and presumably bring it with you)
  • Invitation is valid for one visit only between September 9 and September 30, 2010 and is valid for the person receiving this email and up to two of their guests (or spouse and children under 21 years of age)
  • Offer only applies to new one-year, three-year or dual memberships purchased at the same time as the primary membership. Applies to new members only. Mileage redemption is not an option. Offer is valid until October 31, 2010.
  • Delta Sky Club facilities may be used only in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Before my SYD flight, I have to admit I thought the LAX club was pretty crowded, with power outlets sparse.

Originally Posted by tikiboy
I must be missing something...why would I buy a membership vs. Delta Reserve Card where I also get MQM miles in addition to access?
As a Reserve AmEx holder who's about to downgrade cards (recently hit Diamond, so I get membership), there are a number of possibilities:

* Individual whose travel patterns allow them to extract more value by charging $60k on another card (SPG would be a candidate) and no need for MQM
* Access with a Delta Reserve AmEx requires a DL flight while membership doesn't
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tikiboy
I got the email. I am flying out of LAX at 7AM on Sunday, so I won't get to check it out.

To use a SC with the AmEx Delta Reserve card, you must be flying DL that day. Also, a full SC membership card (which DMs get) allows access to more lounges, especially overseas, although if you fly BE or are SkyTeam Elite Plus, there might not be much difference.

You can compare the lounge lists and access/guest rules on delta.dumb under SC locations. You might want to check on the use of Alaska BRs if this matters to you as well as the specific lounges in AMS and CDG.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:45 pm

I also got this offer and will soon be flying LAX-ATL on a flight that is only on time 2/3 of the time.

I don't know LAX very well, how easy is it to access this lounge from the domestic gates? That is, are all of Delta's flights in this terminal?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SDF Louisville
I also got this offer and will soon be flying LAX-ATL on a flight that is only on time 2/3 of the time.

I don't know LAX very well, how easy is it to access this lounge from the domestic gates? That is, are all of Delta's flights in this terminal?
Very easy from all gates in T5, domestic or international. If your gate is in T6, you can take the underground walkway to T5 and back without having to exit/enter security.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Good, we need the clubs even more crowded.
My thoughts exactly; Delta sure does know how to make those of us that paid for their SC memberships feel awfully special.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.