Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles LAX Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Los Angeles LAX Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think demolishing the club is a bit of an overstatement. Sure some renovations are needed, and as pointed out below, covering the rotunda to create more floorspace is a great idea. There is also a LOT of room behind the desk that sits unused because it's so far from the bar. If they adopt the WC style of self-serve they can maybe have a few drink stations around the club to ease crowding.
N830MH is writing with ASL and his use of the word "demolishing" might actually our usage of the word "renovations".

I've recently been in the club and I've overheard that yes the rotunda will be filled in for more usable space (I think this was a architectural feature that was in all the original terminals that terminal 4 is one of the last ones to still have that feature). Also I've heard it mentioned that the space behind the check-in desk will be utilized more for "lounging" than for "work spaces" because that area is so underutilized.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 4:04 pm

SkyClub LAX

I'm sitting in here right now waiting to go to HNL and I'm not lying when I say this place is dismal. There is only trail mix to eat. There are only limited options on the coffee machine. The newspaper selection is good, but the rest of the club is without a doubt subpar. Is there anyway to bring the condition of this and other SkyClubs to the attentions of people that can make a difference?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLFlyer64
I'm sitting in here right now waiting to go to HNL and I'm not lying when I say this place is dismal. There is only trail mix to eat. There are only limited options on the coffee machine. The newspaper selection is good, but the rest of the club is without a doubt subpar. Is there anyway to bring the condition of this and other SkyClubs to the attentions of people that can make a difference?
What exactly is so dismal about that club? It's got some nice showers, acres of workstations, a decent bar, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
It also has the biggest Mc Donalds that I have ever seen in any airport directly below it. It rocks!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:12 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I also like the LAX SkyClub. The showers are great!

Its possible that the food selection was low because of the time of your departure. 3:00pm is somewhat in between meal times, and flight banks.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:50 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I wouldn't mind going to some of the SC's with some of my own snacks and when asked to put them away mention how the former WC's had snacks for their patrons but decided to stop offering them. Then maybe stand outside the front door of the club to finish my snack before re-entering
Old Jul 28, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by uavking
What exactly is so dismal about that club? It's got some nice showers, acres of workstations, a decent bar, etc.
I agree. Only drawback is the food selection usually ain't that great, but that's kind of a SkyClub thing.

They do have the stuff noted above and bottled beers such as Corona. The desk agents are always friendly and helpful.

It does get crowded at times, and I'm sure more so since NW moved to T5.

I like it and visit it often en route to/from SBA.

Originally Posted by fti
I wouldn't mind going to some of the SC's with some of my own snacks and when asked to put them away mention how the former WC's had snacks for their patrons but decided to stop offering them. Then maybe stand outside the front door of the club to finish my snack before re-entering
Actually the rule is no "food", not no "snacks". I frequently munch on my own granola bars and RC treats and nobody has blown the whistle on that. But if it floats your boat to stand outside the door while munching away, have at it. Maybe a picket sign would add to the effect. Or hold up a sign that says "will fly for food".

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Jul 28, 2009 at 6:00 pm
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
And I'll add that if I had to choose between free drinks and free food, I'll vote free drinks any day of the week. (I can expense food.)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thumbs down

As someone else pointed out, it's sad that you have to leave the club to get a snack outside of "happy hour". With NW we had a decent breakfast and healthy snacks all day long. (Maybe DL folk are used to "process cheese food", but I much prefered Real Cabot cheese that NW had.)
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:48 pm

I think the food selection is kind of a big thing. Yes, the club is nice looking and has showers, but rarely when going on a 4 hour flight do I need to shower at the SkyClub.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
Originally Posted by DLFlyer64
I agree. When I went to the LAX SC on 1 July, I was not impressed. Having to share the elevator with the Flight Crews is horrible. I had to decide on whether to haul my carryon up the narrow stairs, or wait for the elevator. Unfortunately, the elevator took FOREVER!

I would rather go to the busy McDonalds than the SkyClub. I wish the SkyClubs had better food offerings! (Offering bagels, but no toaster?!?!)
Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:16 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
I completely agree with the OPs post. I was there a few days ago waiting for a flight to SYD and thought the exact same thing. In fact I almost posted to FT from the lounge. Staff was very friendly though.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:02 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Back in late May, I had the chance to sample both the DL SC and AS Boardroom during a long connection to YVR. Just let me say, the Boardroom blows the SC away - also has a MUCH better view of the ramp/runway action.

I can only imagine how far above & beyond the international airlines' clubs are from the SC. Also, hopefully, the new MIA SC will become the template for future updates to existing clubs (please, please, please!).
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
OK, I think I got it.

Dismal:
  • No food.
  • Showers
  • No food.
  • Great agents.
  • No food.
  • Nice bar with bottled beers.
  • No food.
  • Lots of computer work stations.
  • No food.

Does that cover it?

David
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
I have always found the agents at the LAX Sky Club to be unfriendly and unhelpful. And the contract people working at the bar are the most unpleasant people I have ever met in a CRC or Sky Club.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.