Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Lifetime Plat, IHG SE
Originally Posted by Krakajax
First order of business of GA (including supervisor CSR)
is to look at ALL partners/interlines
to get customer there the QUICKEST most efficient method.

West Coast traffic in that corridor is HEAVY so open seats for
same class probably was NOT available.
While I partially agree, the squeaky wheel often gets the grease. Seats on the non-stops probably were harder to do or more expensive, so everyone was booked on DL. If OP would have pushed harder and in the right way, I'm sure they could have found a way to get him there in time for his meeting.

Of course, maybe ALL flights were overbooked, but if the wheel doesn't squeak, you'll never know.
Old May 29, 2007, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Krakajax
West Coast traffic in that corridor is HEAVY so open seats for
same class probably was NOT available.

I disagree. The OP was on a 7 am LAX-SFO CRJ. Both AS and F9 have mainline service leaving around 7 am (737-400 and A319 respectively) and neither tend to run full. In all due likelyhood, there would have been no trouble reaccommodating 50 or RJ passengers on those flights.
Old May 30, 2007, 2:48 am

Programs: Skymiles SM
Ah well, looks like I wont bother asking for compensation then.
Old May 30, 2007, 6:27 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
You can certainly ask for compensation, and odds are that you will get some kind of transportation credit.

The point we're all trying to make is that there is a high probability that you could've saved yourself some time, being more persistent that the reaccomodation on DL was not good enough.

I would've told them to put me on a United non-stop, which happens to be right next door in the next terminal.
Old May 30, 2007, 6:32 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Which is also why it is critical (and also easier said, than done) to know flight alternatives should your flight be canceled or delayed.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
EU Compensation for Canceled Flight

I experienced a flight cancellation with a European originating TATL flight. At the airport, DL advised flight was cancelled due to mechanical and no seats were available on alternate flights until the following day. They provided hotel room and meal vouchers but no compensation at the airport.

EU policy mandates compensation of 600 Euros for cancelled flights that result in the pax arriving at their destination more than 4 hours late.

DL denied compensation request on basis that flight was cancelled due to "aircraft safey concerns".

Anyone had a similar experience with cancellations and been denied compensation?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
If you think DL has hosed you under EU laws, here is the advice of the EU on your rights:

12. What can I do if the airline refuses me my rights?

You should address a complaint to the national authorities designated by each Member State. For the names and the addresses of these, you can call the free-phone number: 00800 67891011, or send an e-mail to the following address: [email protected].
The list of the authorities is also available on Internet at:
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air/ri..._bodies_en.pdf .
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: S3
Originally Posted by Kahuna
Anyone had a similar experience with cancellations and been denied compensation?
Obviously you're referring to Cash compensation.

Maybe with an increased PAX bill of rights you might see this sort of compensation. There seems to have been a large decrease in the breadth of accomadations once airlines deregulated and finally the current environment we're in, beyond the cashcow period of the mid and late 90's.

Currently cash compensation is not in the Flow Chart of compensation vs escalating inconveniences. I'm not aware of other domestic airlines...although I'd be suprised any offer cash outside of a full refund
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:37 pm

PMMMDL
Makes for a great snapshot ^
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:50 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by SLC777RES
Obviously you're referring to Cash compensation.

Maybe with an increased PAX bill of rights you might see this sort of compensation. There seems to have been a large decrease in the breadth of accomadations once airlines deregulated and finally the current environment we're in, beyond the cashcow period of the mid and late 90's.

Currently cash compensation is not in the Flow Chart of compensation vs escalating inconveniences. I'm not aware of other domestic airlines...although I'd be suprised any offer cash outside of a full refund
Not sure what you are basing your statements on. Per EU law, cash compensation for many situations, including mechanical delays, is mandatory.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Not sure what you are basing your statements on. Per EU law, cash compensation for many situations, including mechanical delays, is mandatory.
The only statement I made is that DL currently offers 0 cash compensation, it's interesting that a carrier that operates in EU sky's doesn't honor it, the question then for the lawyers on the board is how DL get's away with it
Old Jul 27, 2007, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The only statement I made is that DL currently offers 0 cash compensation, it's interesting that a carrier that operates in EU sky's doesn't honor it, the question then for the lawyers on the board is how DL get's away with it
The national authorities in EU+ member states can compel Delta to pay up. DL, just like many other airlines and even some EU airlines -- just try to frustrate the process hoping the customers surrender their claim and don't pursue the matter further enough that the national authorities actually do force DL to pay up.

A number of EU airlines claim creative interpretations of the law in their initial responses to customers -- to not pay up -- but then on a second, third or fourth follow-up AND once the national authorities are involved, finally pay up.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The national authorities in EU+ member states can compel Delta to pay up. DL, just like many other airlines and even some EU airlines -- just try to frustrate the process hoping the customers surrender their claim and don't pursue the matter further enough that the national authorities actually do force DL to pay up.

A number of EU airlines claim creative interpretations of the law in their initial responses to customers -- to not pay up -- but then on a second, third or fourth follow-up AND once the national authorities are involved, finally pay up.
I didn't know that
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I didn't know that
We've had to fight a lot to get what we could from cancelled and delayed flights. Against AC, BA, BD, KL, LH, SK and UA this year alone. Then again it's not always smooth as an unsettled two year old claim of ours is not yet settled.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by fti
It's mandatory, but that doesn't mean you're going to get it. It can be a challenge to extract payment from a carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.