Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, UA, AS, DL. HH diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks for all your replies. Here is some more info: His flight was LGW - LAS, stay in LAS, then LAS-CVG, stopover in CVG for 3 months, then CVG-LGW. So he has already completed the first leg of his flight. His flight home from London is on BA metal from LHR - CPT at 7 PM on Dec. 15. He will have to pick up his checked bags in London and switch airlines. I originally started this thread because I was concerned about the 1.5 hr layover for an international flight with checked bags, which could consequently prevent him from transferring from LGW - LHR with enough time. I've never been fortunate enough to get any compensation or rerouting when flying, so I was wondering what would be reasonable to ask. I think that rerouting CVG-LHR via DTW or ATL would be a great option so then he's already at the correct airport for his final leg home. I also noticed that there is a flight CVG-CDG-LHR, but I don't know if that would be pushing for too much since rerouting an international layover might be harder to do. Is it better to call DL customer service, email them, or just ask at the gate when we fly LAS-CVG?
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by angelsgirl85
I've never been fortunate enough to get any compensation or rerouting when flying, so I was wondering what would be reasonable to ask. I think that rerouting CVG-LHR via DTW or ATL would be a great option so then he's already at the correct airport for his final leg home. I also noticed that there is a flight CVG-CDG-LHR, but I don't know if that would be pushing for too much since rerouting an international layover might be harder to do. Is it better to call DL customer service, email them, or just ask at the gate when we fly LAS-CVG?
100% call Delta and ask for a routing to LHR that fits his needs. With DL cancelling CVG service to LGW, it was actually a gift to as DL will usually accomodate. So you have some flexibility. I would connect in the US in ATL, DTW or JFK versus trying to connecting in CDG, it is easier to connect in the US airports.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
100% call Delta and ask for a routing to LHR that fits his needs. With DL cancelling CVG service to LGW, it was actually a gift to as DL will usually accomodate. So you have some flexibility. I would connect in the US in ATL, DTW or JFK versus trying to connecting in CDG, it is easier to connect in the US airports.
Agree - call DL now and get this taken care of ASAP. I'd say routing via DTW/ATL will be the easiest - I'm a fan of the ATL-LHR flight just because it leaves at around 1045p - much easier for me to go to sleep at that hour than earlier in the evening. I'd avoid doing the layover in CDG - it might be more difficult from a flight perspective (CDG is not a fun place to do a layover) and it involves a reroute onto AF metal for CDG-LHR; something DL might not want to do when they can keep it all on DL metal across the pond (I don't believe AF/DL has the JV authority within Europe, so DL would have to pay AF for the transport on CDG-LHR).

DL should have no issue re-routing you to LHR though.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Delta's handling of EU-related compensation claims for flight delays & cancellation

For Delta customers who have had DL-related flight cancellations or delays covered by the EU+ area regulation that mandates compensation and/or reimbursement and/or other assistance in the event of flight cancellations and some delays, how has the DL service recovery been?

Delta has put up the following to make such claims:

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...uest/index.jsp

http://images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/eu_notice.pdf

which is better than what most other major US airlines serving covered EU customers have done.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
DL 79 TXL-JFK on Dec 23 Cancelled -- EU Compensation?

A friend was going to take DL 79 TXL-JFK today (Berlin, Germany). The flight was delayed because of engine trouble (NOT weather) and eventually canceled, and they were put up in hotels (even though he lives in Berlin). The DL page show this flight as canceled, and they are rebooked on DL 9876 tomorrow Dec 24, due to arrive at JFK at 9.25pm (30 hours late). Does this count as a cancelation and rebook under EU compensation laws, or as a delay?

Thanks.

VF
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...eled/index.jsp
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
It certainly does. Weather was ok here today and many flights operated on time from Berlin, trouble was only with flights to/from weather affected countries like the UK. DL took care of the pax by putting them in hotels ( and i guess they also got meal vouchers ) so they complied with the EU regulation. I wonder how many people got rebooked through CDG/AMS by DL, there were certianly plenty of rebooking options available.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:42 pm

With the exchange rate of the Euro your friend should do quite well. However, DL has been rumored to automatically decline EU 261 comp on US based PAX. Speculation is it's hard for US consumers to figure out where to file complaints. Let us know how it goes for your friend.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:17 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
It certainly does. Weather was ok here today and many flights operated on time from Berlin, trouble was only with flights to/from weather affected countries like the UK. DL took care of the pax by putting them in hotels ( and i guess they also got meal vouchers ) so they complied with the EU regulation. I wonder how many people got rebooked through CDG/AMS by DL, there were certianly plenty of rebooking options available.
They will blame it on the weather. TXL was a mess today and SXF was shut down for a short time (heard it in the radio). Overfreezing snow&rain was causing issues everywhere in the city. Are we talking about the same BER? It's not as bad as on Tuesday, when TXL was shut down for a while as well but still not "ok".

Unfortunately that is the loophole the airlines use, although the air traffic is pretty much up to normal already.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:37 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
If it was truly a mechanical cancellation, your friend is owed 600 euro, as well as all reasonable expenses for meals, communications, and transportation (taxis to/from the airport & hotel).
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
With the exchange rate of the Euro your friend should do quite well. However, DL has been rumored to automatically decline EU 261 comp on US based PAX. Speculation is it's hard for US consumers to figure out where to file complaints. Let us know how it goes for your friend.

Put EU Claim on the case. If it was a mechanical they should be able to figure it out. On your end keep all of the evidence that supports the mechanical angle including any proof that DL paid for hotels, meals etc...things they wouldn't have done if weather was the cause of the delay.

Worked for me....
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I had an intra-EU flight cancelled (not on Delta) in November for mechanical reasons (after a 3+ hour delay on the tarmac) and the only available reaccomodation was to be put on the same flight the next day. A pretty open and shut EU 261/2004 situation, for which I was due 400 Euro.

I emailed them about three weeks ago, and just today got a response back -- they agreed to pay me the 400 Euro (but took pains to indicate that they are not admitting liability, etc. and were doing it out of goodwill).

I think the key is to demonstrate that you are familiar with the case law and are willing to exercise your rights (i.e. if a pleasant email doesn't get you want you want, that you wouldn't hesitate to contact the US and UK aviation authorities, your state's attorney general, pursue it in small claims court, etc.) -- for instance the December 2008 case in the European Court of Justice Case C-549/07 (Friederike Wallentin-Hermann versus Alitalia) is a good one to read and then cite in any communication with the airline.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 1:15 am

Programs: DL PM, GE
ETD now shows 8PM and ETA 11:25PM for DL9879 on kvstool.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 4:25 am

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by allergictocoach
Put EU Claim on the case. If it was a mechanical they should be able to figure it out. On your end keep all of the evidence that supports the mechanical angle including any proof that DL paid for hotels, meals etc...things they wouldn't have done if weather was the cause of the delay.

Worked for me....
Bolding mine.
While I can appreciate that this "worked for you" - even under the EU regulations, Delta would still be responsible for ALL of these things (hotel, meals, communications, transportation - collectively known as accommodations) if the reason for the cancellation was weather.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by c_d
They will blame it on the weather. TXL was a mess today and SXF was shut down for a short time (heard it in the radio). Overfreezing snow&rain was causing issues everywhere in the city. Are we talking about the same BER? It's not as bad as on Tuesday, when TXL was shut down for a while as well but still not "ok".

Unfortunately that is the loophole the airlines use, although the air traffic is pretty much up to normal already.
Both airports were "shut down" only for a couple of minutes totalling about 70 minutes over the whole day, this was not causing any cancellations only delays. TXL has two runways, the usually able to operate from one while cleaning the other. When the ice rain was setting in they needed less then an hour to prepare runways and to resume operations. All cancellations out of Berlin were due of the destination airports not accepting flights! DL could have operated the flight just fine, maybe a 30 min delay or so. The way to the airport is another story..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.