Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pghosh79
My Flight NH171 on July 21 got cancelled as the plane went back to the gate after taxiing due to engine trouble. ANA kept us waiting for 5 hours and then gave us 2 options - fly the next day or fly out of SFO at 7:55 PM on an United flight(Original flight was 12:45).
I was flying on an United Award ticket SJC-NRT-BKK-CGK with a 10 hour halt in BKK to do some sightseeing.
Now the routing became SFO-HND-BKK-CGK but my BKK stopover became a 2 hour halt so I could not leave the airport.
Am I entitled to compensation and who would pay - United through whom I booked the award ticket or ANA who caused the delay. Do note that I made the connection to CGK so my arrival time in CGK did not change but I lost a day sitting around in SJC and driving to SFO which I could have either worked (saving a day of holiday) or in BKK.
Since your time in BKK wasn't technically a stopover, you're not legally entitled to compensation.

In your position, I'd politely ask both airlines for compensation.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Was on a CLT to LGA flight last Thursday that was deplaned twice and eventually cancelled due to weather and the ATC nightmare at NYC airports that day. Was rebooked on CLT ATL JFK the next day.

Offered 10,000 miles today w/o having to write in.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:59 pm

My flight out of Bucharest to Amsterdam was canceled due to aircraft problems.
KLM Royal Dutch. The best they could do was put us on another airplane/airline 6 hours later, which they did, but we missed all flights back to the USA and had
to rebook everything with different airlines.

According to Eastern Union flight rules, any delay longer than 5 hours means
they must fly you at their expense, and also give you a refund for what was
cancelled/missed.

What is the best way to start pursuing this?
I don't want to do something wrong and screw this up, it's around $700 US.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fredman
My flight out of Bucharest to Amsterdam was canceled due to aircraft problems.
KLM Royal Dutch. The best they could do was put us on another airplane/airline 6 hours later, which they did, but we missed all flights back to the USA and had
to rebook everything with different airlines.

According to Eastern Union flight rules, any delay longer than 5 hours means
they must fly you at their expense, and also give you a refund for what was
cancelled/missed.

What is the best way to start pursuing this?
I don't want to do something wrong and screw this up, it's around $700 US.
What type of plane problem was the issue? Ie was it a plane breakdown, did a bird hit the plane, did the plane not arrive due to weather, etc...

You can get a payment, if it doesnt meet an exception for the cancelation reason, and you arrive at your final destination more then six hours after planned arrival.

If all that is met then you can go online to KLM.COM or if your address is in the US to delta.com (they handle KLM issues for those in the US) and fill out online form requesting EU261 compensation. Beware sometimes the airline's play games on paying out. If that's the case you need to go to one of the companies that works on your behalf to collect. Of course they charge a percentage, but you don't pay if airline doesn't.

The refund is an option. If you don't like the flight options the airline gives you or want to cancel the trip, then the airline must give you a refund. You don't get to fly on to your destination and get a refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.