Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2007, 10:57 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by sammyh
You are reading it correctly.
The problem was that the outbound was delayed for 45 minutes x 4 then a cancelation so we truly believed that we were going to make that meeting!
Now back home - what can you advise/are my remedies.TY

I think your only remedy is to get a refund on your return flight, which you are entitled to since the return flight was cancelled. If the return flight was only delayed and not cancelled, you aren't really eligible for anything.

Here's hoping that your outbound ticket was a T fare and your return was a Y fare. ^
Old Dec 17, 2007, 2:41 pm

Programs: CO PLT,DL Plat (status match),BD Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
Originally Posted by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA
I think your only remedy is to get a refund on your return flight, which you are entitled to since the return flight was cancelled. If the return flight was only delayed and not cancelled, you aren't really eligible for anything.

Here's hoping that your outbound ticket was a T fare and your return was a Y fare. ^
Ouch, I was hoping for more than that! Thanks anyhow,
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, US Plat, HHonors Diamond, MR Silver, Hertz Presidential, National Executive
Canceled Flight Compensation

Hey All,

I haven't posted much here, but I browse these forums regularly..

I wanted to share a good customer service compensation that I recently had.

I had a flight last week from CVG-HSV that was canceled at 11pm (850pm normal departure) due to them not being able to get a flight attendant, they were attempting to "recrew" the plane for 2 hours before canceling the flight.

The worst part of this cancellation was that pax that had checked baggage were "told" by the GA that they would get the bags off the plane, but when they got out to baggage claim, the baggage agents said it was too late for them to do that, and they don't look at their computers after a certain hour...

Personally I never check baggage unless I am going somewhere over 2 weeks...but lots of people were unhappy.

Regardless, being a GM, I got one of the 2 spots on the first flight out of CVG the next morning, and was put up in the airport Hilton, which was very nice.

I put in a complaint to delta via the website, and within 2 days got a response and a $100 voucher! I was surprised at them giving me actual $ towards a flight as opposed to miles or something like that, but that certainly was a welcome compensation for the inconvenience.

-Brian
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:06 am

compensation for crew rest cancellation

first time poster so i'm hoping i'm posting the right place. long story, i hope i include all the relevant details.

in july i booked two delta coach mileage tickets from ORD-OGG (Maui), outbound via SLC on 24 dec. at 4:45am on the 24th, my girlfriend checked delta.com and saw that our itinerary was cancelled. i called delta, was told they hadn't yet got me in the queue and that's why i wasn't called yet, was told it was cancelled due to weather and that we had been re-booked on flights on 26 dec. losing two nights of nonrefundable hotel wasn't an option so i pushed for anything on the 24th. the delta rep told me he had re-booked us out of midway through atlanta on the 24th but as we were leaving for midway, i got an automated call from delta detailing an itinerary on the 26th through MDW and ATL (when i got back from vacation, i checked my email and the guy had booked us no MDW-ATL on the 25th and ATL-OGG on the 24th so the itinerary must have automatically cancelled out). when we got to MDW, the delta ticket agent showed no record of a reservation on the 24th, said there was nothing delta could do because it was cancelled due to weather, and questioned our legitimacy in even coming to MDW in the first place like we were doing something inappropriate or shifty. they also wouldn't bring a supervisor to the front to talk to us. we took a taxi to ORD and in the taxi my girlfriend called AA and bought two tickets one-way ORD-HNL since we figured seats would be scarce. we got the last two seats (which were nonrefundable - $1397 apiece) and when we got to ORD, she called DL and was told that it was not due to weather but due to crew rest as the flight arrived late the evening before so we were entitled to receiving the AA itinerary at no charge to us. she said that normally DL would just endorse the ticket over to AA (the DL rep even called AA to try and solve it then but AA wouldn't do it since they were nonrefundable) and give us a refund but since the tickets were nonrefundable, we would have to fax delta customer care all of our boarding passes and receipts and we would be reimbursed. at o'hare we ran into a family of 5 who were on our exact flights and had somehow got their reservations switched to AA. we faxed all the relevant info on 26 dec and then this past saturday we received a form letter dated 28 dec that says that "operational factors can sometimes disrupt the availability of flight crews" and that they are declining our request for a refund.

do we have any recourse? we called delta reservations yesterday and a supervisor told us that we are entitled to reimbursement. we faxed her our info and she said she would call over to customer care, but we haven't heard back from her yet. any recommended course of action? do we have a snowball's chance of even getting some money back? i'm mostly p-ed off that delta lied to us twice about the cause of the cancellation - delaying our ability to get on those AA flights and not helping us get out earlier than the 26th - and then reservations told us one thing and customer care another. any advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:11 am

Compensation: Flight Cancellation

long story:

in july i booked two delta coach mileage tickets from ORD-OGG (Maui), outbound via SLC on 24 dec. at 4:45am on the 24th, my girlfriend checked delta.com and saw that our itinerary was cancelled. i called delta, was told they hadn't yet got me in the queue and that's why i wasn't called yet, was told it was cancelled due to weather and that we had been re-booked on flights on 26 dec. losing two nights of nonrefundable hotel wasn't an option so i pushed for anything on the 24th. the delta rep told me he had re-booked us out of midway through atlanta on the 24th but as we were leaving for midway, i got an automated call from delta detailing an itinerary on the 26th through MDW and ATL (when i got back from vacation, i checked my email and the guy had booked us no MDW-ATL on the 25th and ATL-OGG on the 24th so the itinerary must have automatically cancelled out). when we got to MDW, the delta ticket agent showed no record of a reservation on the 24th, said there was nothing delta could do because it was cancelled due to weather, and questioned our legitimacy in even coming to MDW in the first place like we were doing something inappropriate or shifty. they also wouldn't bring a supervisor to the front to talk to us. we took a taxi to ORD and in the taxi my girlfriend called AA and bought two tickets one-way ORD-HNL since we figured seats would be scarce. we got the last two seats (which were nonrefundable - $1397 apiece) and when we got to ORD, she called DL and was told that it was not due to weather but due to crew rest as the flight arrived late the evening before so we were entitled to receiving the AA itinerary at no charge to us. she said that normally DL would just endorse the ticket over to AA (the DL rep even called AA to try and solve it then but AA wouldn't do it since they were nonrefundable) and give us a refund but since the tickets were nonrefundable, we would have to fax delta customer care all of our boarding passes and receipts and we would be reimbursed. at o'hare we ran into a family of 5 who were on our exact flights and had somehow got their reservations switched to AA. we faxed all the relevant info on 26 dec and then this past saturday we received a form letter dated 28 dec that says that "operational factors can sometimes disrupt the availability of flight crews" and that they are declining our request for a refund.

do we have any recourse? we called delta reservations yesterday and a supervisor told us that we are entitled to reimbursement. we faxed her our info and she said she would call over to customer care, but we haven't heard back from her yet. any recommended course of action? do we have a snowball's chance of even getting some money back? i'm mostly p-ed off that delta lied to us twice about the cause of the cancellation - delaying our ability to get on those AA flights and not helping us get out earlier than the 26th - and then reservations told us one thing and customer care another. any advice is appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Sounds like crew rest due to weather.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:59 pm

Your situation is unfortunate. I would try appealing to customer care at Delta. Try to emphasize that they are going back on what they have told you. It may take some appeals, but hopefully it will work out.

I know this doesn't help much, but next time at the airport, try to get something in writing. Thats the only way you can guarantee that an airline will honor its promises. During an operational problem, UA Customer Service agreed to give me ground transporation (over $100) to my final destination. When they didn't reimburse me despite their promise, I sent an appeal including written documentation from the airport agents. I got my check within a week.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
OT but here goes anyway:

For short posts the lack of mixed-case typing is not a big deal. But for a very long post like the OP here, the use of all lower case makes it quite difficult to read. I realize that punctuation, grammar, and mixed-case typing have taken a huge hit since the internet age began and cell phone messaging took off but, really, is it that difficult to hit the shift key at the beginning of a sentence?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Evan!
OT but here goes anyway:

For short posts the lack of mixed-case typing is not a big deal. But for a very long post like the OP here, the use of all lower case makes it quite difficult to read. I realize that punctuation, grammar, and mixed-case typing have taken a huge hit since the internet age began and cell phone messaging took off but, really, is it that difficult to hit the shift key at the beginning of a sentence?
I agree Evan. It is good to use paragraphs, periods, question marks and capitalization. It is truly assame that some write with less skill than a third grader.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:41 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by Evan!
OT but here goes anyway:

To the OP: I hope your situation works out in your favor and you are compensated to your satisfaction.

Also, I'm with Evan on the capitalization and punctuation issue. A large block of san-serif type with no capitalization is tough on the eyes. I didn't get all the way through your post because of that, and others who might be in a position to help you/make helpful suggestions might not even bother to try.
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: United Premier 1k, Avis First, HHonor Diamond, Marriot Gold
Just because the airline says they won't refund your ticket doesn't mean they don't have to. Know your rights. If you don't rebuttle their refusal then basically you "accept" not getting a refund because they told you they wouldn't.

If your flight is delayed due to weather...IE
Snow storm keeping all flights ground
Fog is keeping all flights ground
Severe weather keeping all flights ground

Airlines generally do not HAVE to refund your ticket. They will reroute you then or for a later date or give you future credit on a flight. But don't expect a monetary refund. They can't control the weather. Since you paid for their services they are required to deliver...hence...future credit or reroute.

If there is a mechanical problem, the wing fell off...or the engine won't run, that is negligence on the airlines part. Its not your fault their plane isn't running. They can be made to refund your ticket. They will tell you they can't for reasons a, b, c, and d. But airlines aren't exempt from law and regulations.

Generally most airlines will offer reroute, or future credit (based on your current fare value, not a free ticket) on a flight. If you accept this...wonderful for them b/c basically you agreed to this compensation in lieu of a refund. If you continute to ask for a refund, if under the right circumstance..you can get it back.

FYI...Delta has the WORST customer service of any airline. They have taken to much pride in this merge with Northwest. They have had several customer issue complaints and are only recently cracking down on it.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:53 pm

Canceled Flight Mileage Claim & Compensation?

Situation: Father-in-laws flight DL flight (PVG-ATL) was canceled a couple weeks back. He caught the flight the next day. Thing is, no miles have posted. Other flights taken since then have posted fine.

I will just file a missing miles claim, but is he entitled to any compensation from DL for the 24 hour delay? He is Executive Partner, if that makes any difference.
What about compensation/travel insurance through his Delta AMEX Plat. Card (I know i get this with my KL/AF AMEX Plat. Card)?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Why was it canceled?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
that may have been the one that ATL-PVG diverted to MSP on a medical emerg, and then returned to ATL as the crew would have timed out. The flight operated the next day as scheduled.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
that may have been the one that ATL-PVG diverted to MSP on a medical emerg, and then returned to ATL as the crew would have timed out. The flight operated the next day as scheduled.
that's the one. there's a thread somewhere about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.