Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
This is one of those instances where DL will spend more in labor (even at the modest wages that RA's earn) than it would cost to do the right thing. JR, if you and your staff do, in fact, read FT, here is a chance to:

1. Rectify a problem (created by DL) @:-)
2. Keep a customer happy @:-)
and
3. Save DL the $$ it takes to disagree (and yes, it does cost DL $$ to disagree) @:-)
Old Dec 3, 2005, 9:54 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by jimrpa
huh? Is a translation available (not trying to be sarcastic here, I don't understand the phrase. Of course, I'm a native American English speaker, which frequently puts me at a disadvantage on this very multicultural board )
Sorry. "Inside" reference. Georgia Tech has George P. Burdell. Yale has "Boola boola!"
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Would your odds be any better if you just showed up for the return flight & the ticket agent had to deal with you? Assuming a semi-busy airport, they would really look like **** to the other people standing in line if they refused somehow to honor the return on a round-trip ticket.
Would not work very well if there was no DL counter or DL agents to make a big stink in front of.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:58 pm

Angry An update

Count me in as one who will never fly Delta again.

First, thank you to all who posted advice and support. I never received any response from Delta to my written complaint.

Recently, I learned that Delta has posted a refund to my credit card. When I called Delta, I was told that the refund was processed because "you requested it."

"I never requested a refund," I countered. "I wanted transportation reimbursement from HVN to BDL or to be switched to USAir, which still flies out of HVN."

Delta's response? "Since what you want is not an option, we decided that you requested a refund and processed the refund."
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:13 pm

How awful! I can relate because just last week I had a slightly different situation where DL hosed me and refused to rectify the situation, despite that fact that multiple res agents documented my record that DL was at fault and should do the right thing.

What I want to know is, is the credit card charge still in dispute? If so you should now dispute 100% of the ticket price, not just the return portion or even 50%. DL entered into a contract to transport you there and back, and they reneged on the deal. At this point a last-minute one-way fare might well cost more than the entire original round-trip fare. The fact that they honored the first half of the ticket is irrelevant.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by gilpin
What I want to know is, is the credit card charge still in dispute? If so you should now dispute 100% of the ticket price, not just the return portion or even 50%. DL entered into a contract to transport you there and back, and they reneged on the deal. At this point a last-minute one-way fare might well cost more than the entire original round-trip fare. The fact that they honored the first half of the ticket is irrelevant.
Thank you for the advice, but it's too late to contest with the credit card.

And yes, Delta did "generously" offer to sell me a one-way ticket at twice what it refunded me.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:05 pm

Programs: Dl Skymiles
Cool

Due to a schedule change Delta will not put you on another carrier. Sorry but, that's just the way it is. No other Airline does this either. If your flt is canx because of any other reason, they can. But not for schedule changes. If what the Airline offers you is not acceptable you are due a refund FOR THE UNFLOWN PORTION. jimrpa has covered this very well. As far as asking for a Customer Service Supervisor......they will tell you the same thing.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by bubbasbrew
Due to a schedule change Delta will not put you on another carrier. Sorry but, that's just the way it is. No other Airline does this either. If your flt is canx because of any other reason, they can. But not for schedule changes. If what the Airline offers you is not acceptable you are due a refund FOR THE UNFLOWN PORTION. jimrpa has covered this very well. As far as asking for a Customer Service Supervisor......they will tell you the same thing.
Hmm.... this is not a schedule change. It is an "airport change" because Delta decided to stop flying in/out of HVN.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It's also not true that NO airline will put you on another one. I know AA and UA will if they're schedule changes and they're next flights are "unreasonable" but, say, NW has a flight that's ok.

This just reconfirms my commitment not to fly DL. Ever.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:42 am

Question

Bubbasbrew... since you are apparently a Delta employee, let me ask you this. Why is that you guys are making things so absolutely difficult? Sometimes things get so complicated in riduculous sense. Delta sold this passenger a ticket to a particular destination. Doesn't it make perfect sense that they are responsible to get the passenger there? Where's the confusion?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by I love the bump
Bubbasbrew... since you are apparently a Delta employee, let me ask you this. Why is that you guys are making things so absolutely difficult? Sometimes things get so complicated in riduculous sense. Delta sold this passenger a ticket to a particular destination. Doesn't it make perfect sense that they are responsible to get the passenger there? Where's the confusion?
Thank you! My sentiments exactly. I chose to fly Delta in/out of HVN because it was the most convenient. Now that HVN is no longer an option, I will be looking at other airlines in/out of BDL and I certainly won't be looking at Delta.

BTW, Bubbasbrew PM-ed me to email him/her saying that s/he may have some advice for me. After my PM, Bubbasbrew failed to reply.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta PM, British Airways Silver
reimbusement oddity

I recently had three cancelled ATL-SDF flights, followed by a night at a nasty hotel off ATL's property, followed by a flight to LEX and a rental car back to SDF the next morning. I submitted all my receipts to Delta, and the only thing they argued about was the gas from LEX to SDF in the rental! I certainly did not pick a big fight over that one, but it was surely an odd line in the sand for them to take.
Old May 14, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Compensation for Cancelled DL Connection Flight

I have a question for the DL pros here on FT. A coworker of mine was scheduled to fly on DL 6082 (Freedom Air) on 5/6 his routing was TRI-ATL-SJD. The TRI-ATL portion (DL 6082) was cancelled (non weather) he was offered no accomodation on another carrier even though DL was not able to get him to SJD until 24 hrs later (Monday). As a result he missed the first day of a financial conference and still had his hotel room expense. What is fair compensation under present guidelines for this situation? He has been offered only $100 DL Dollars which he refused. Personally, $100 seems low for arriving 24 hrs late, what do you all think? Thanks in advance.
Old May 14, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Delta Contract of Carriage, Rule 240(C) (pages 48-49 of the document) discusses Flight Cancellations that fall within Delta's control and what steps/renumeration are available to pax.
Old May 14, 2007, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by TRIFlyer
I have a question for the DL pros here on FT. A coworker of mine was scheduled to fly on DL 6082 (Freedom Air) on 5/6 his routing was TRI-ATL-SJD. The TRI-ATL portion (DL 6082) was cancelled (non weather) he was offered no accomodation on another carrier even though DL was not able to get him to SJD until 24 hrs later (Monday). As a result he missed the first day of a financial conference and still had his hotel room expense. What is fair compensation under present guidelines for this situation? He has been offered only $100 DL Dollars which he refused. Personally, $100 seems low for arriving 24 hrs late, what do you all think? Thanks in advance.
Was he offered no accommodation on other carriers, or was there simply no accommodations on other carriers that could be offered? Did he ask for accommodation on other carriers? Did he search for other routings (e.g. on delta.com & 3rd party sites) and asked to be booked on a routing that appeared to be available?

For a similar Sunday in June (which might actually offer more options than early May) there appear to be limited re-accommodations out of TRI that would get to SJD on the same day -- only 5 other flights (4 if the cancellation occurs too late for the other 6 a.m. flight on US Air). One planeload of cancelled pax at 6 a.m. could quickly fill up the remaining flights and then some.

TRI was his home airport, so presumably he had a home and stocked kitchen to return to. Compensation is generally rather limited at that point in a trip.

Although I feel rebooking is something the airlines could do better at (and Delta is no exception), those 100 Delta dollars might have been a reasonable deal, depending on what (if anything) was actually available and how hard your friend pushed for alternative accommodations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.