Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:57 pm

I got 25K. I had signed up for a promo to get Medallion status after one round trip -- I just emailed them to ask that they make good on that, as well.

If so, this will be quite a satisfactory haul -- I got a prompt refund, my replacement flight on NWA was $5 cheaper, and I got a number of online booking and checkin bonuses from NWA as well. Sweet!
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:40 pm

Good job Delta!

Originally Posted by rcs85551
If you had to use ground transportation, cancel your tril or travel on another airline, you will receive 25K bonus miles.

If you needed your Comair flights to keep / earn Medallion status, you will be comped.

4 tickets

A. 1 Purchased with AMEX Companion Certificate (Wife)
B. 1 Purchased outright (Me)
C. 1 F Award ticket (daughter #1)
D. 1 Free Companion ticket (daughter #2)

We had to drive to ORD from TOL to catch AA flight home on 12-24. Spoke to Delta on 12-26. At that time I only asked for a refund of 15,000 miles for diff in Y and F award and for my MQM's on orignal flight since I needed these to meet my 2004 MQM threshold bonus. Got a very nice email last week and they provided me with both items requested.

I look today and see that the wife's account got the 25,000 for cancellation and I got an additional 15,000 for cancellation.

I'm quite happy with Delta's response. ^
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Prem. 1K & 1MM, DL Platinum, AA Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold. United, Sky, Admirals Club
Seems they are trying to make things right. At least flyers with accounts will be somewhat satisfied after the situation they had to entertain. One could argue that those who dont care about miles or accounts have no reason to fly DL or Comair again!!!

WASJETBOY
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:58 pm

...I wonder what, if anything, will happen for people who had CO/NW/AF/KL, etc SkyTeam FF numbers in their records.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
BumpMe! wondered
...I wonder what, if anything, will happen for people who had CO/NW/AF/KL, etc SkyTeam FF numbers in their records.

I'm one of the people with an NW number (Platinum) in my record. I wrote to DL and asked for reimbursement for the rental car I had to use to get from BUR to ONT. I also indicated that this would have been an opportunity to gain some of my business by taking care of me.
Yesterday I got an e-mail from DL apologizing and indicating that I would receive a $75 transportation credit and reimbursement for the rental car once I submitted the receipt.
Very satisfactory and a way for DL to convince me to give them another chance. (The total value of the rt ticket was only $220.)
tom

Last edited by mot29; Jan 4, 2005 at 1:28 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
I got an e-mail from DL apologizing and indicating that I would receive a $75 transportation credit and reimbursement for the rental car once I submitted the receipt.
Very satisfactory and a way for DL to convince me to give them another chance. (The total value of the rt ticket was only $220.)
tom
If you also have a DL account I wonder if they'll give you the bonus miles like everyone else.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:54 pm

I do have a DL account, and DL knows the number, but no miles have posted yet, and I really don't expect them too. Even when I fly on DL, I'll continue to post miles to NW (especially now that EQMs are 100% again). My guess is that the $ voucher is the trade off for the miles. All I asked for was reimbursing the rental car.
It is also possible that DL isn't showing me as a "victim" of the Comair problem. The originally booked MSY-DFW cancelled flight was on Comair; the flight I actually flew was Skywest. DL's letter to me refers to problems on Skywest and although I don't want the blame to go to the wrong place, I'll wait until I have the voucher and check before muddying the waters with the correction.
I've only occasionally been on DL in the last few years, but as a teenager growing up in New Orleans, I spent a few nights a year changing planes on the nightcoaches in the round gate terminal in the old Hartsfield.

Last edited by mot29; Jan 4, 2005 at 1:59 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey
Apology from Delta and Comair

I received this from Delta today.

On behalf of Delta Air Lines and Comair, I sincerely apologize for the
operational and weather-related difficulties you experienced this
holiday season. We understand how important safe and reliable travel
is
to you, especially when you are visiting family and friends during the
holiday season. We are sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Please be assured we are reviewing our operations so that we can
prevent
and better handle similar circumstances in the future.

While we know it is impossible to make up for missed holiday gatherings
or vacations, we have deposited 15,000 miles in your SkyMiles account
as
a "thank you" for your patience and understanding.

Again, we apologize for the difficulties you experienced recently while
flying with us. We appreciate your business and welcome the
opportunity
to serve you on a future flight.

Sincerely,
Paul Matsen
Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer

I got the 15,000 miles, but it cost me $96.00 for cab far to get to a different airport where they made arrangements for me to catch a flight that, had I not been able to get on standby (and get a seat) on an earlier flight, I never would have made it home..... paying for the cab fare, at the very least, would have been appreciated.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 4, 2005 at 4:28 pm Reason: This unedited milepost has been merged into this thread.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:55 pm

Thumbs up Delta apology...

Did anyone esle get this? Our Christmas Eve flight was cancelled and I got this email today:

Dear Mr. D*****,

On behalf of Delta Air Lines and Comair, I sincerely apologize for the
operational and weather-related difficulties you experienced this
holiday season. We understand how important safe and reliable travel is
to you, especially when you are visiting family and friends during the
holiday season. We are sorry for any inconvenience this caused.

Please be assured we are reviewing our operations so that we can prevent
and better handle similar circumstances in the future.

While we know it is impossible to make up for missed holiday gatherings
or vacations, we have deposited 25,000 miles in your SkyMiles account as
a "thank you" for your patience and understanding.

Again, we apologize for the difficulties you experienced recently while
flying with us. We appreciate your business and welcome the opportunity
to serve you on a future flight.

Sincerely,
Paul Matsen
Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 4, 2005 at 7:05 pm Reason: This unedited milepost has been merged into this thread.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 5:26 pm

I just got that, too. Miles already posted.
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Modapa
I got the 15,000 miles, but it cost me $96.00 for cab far to get to a different airport where they made arrangements for me to catch a flight that, had I not been able to get on standby (and get a seat) on an earlier flight, I never would have made it home..... paying for the cab fare, at the very least, would have been appreciated.
Did you ask for the $96 reimbursement? I was very clear in my email that I wanted the car rental reimbursed, and got a bit more (the $75 cert).
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:48 pm

Dammit. I got nothing. Where do I sue?

Last edited by outtolunch; Jan 4, 2005 at 6:59 pm
Old Jan 4, 2005, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
25,000 Cancelled ComAir Bonus Miles

Wow...I wasnt expecting this! My flight on Monday was cancelled out of CAK to CVG, due to the earlier debacle. I stayed an extra day. I just recieved 25k in my account. I saw the 15k thread...whats the difference? Why some 15k, and some 25k? Perhaps those who were cancelled v/s delayed?

03 Jan 2005 XLD COMAIR FLT 0 25000 25000

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 4, 2005 at 7:07 pm Reason: This milepost was merged unedited into this thread.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey
Originally Posted by mot29
Did you ask for the $96 reimbursement? I was very clear in my email that I wanted the car rental reimbursed, and got a bit more (the $75 cert).
After hearing about others getting 25000 miles, I did write to them and explained that I appreciated the miles, but that it had cost me the cab fare, the lost luggage, ect. I am waiting to hear back from them.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:45 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I'm glad you're happy with your 15K or 25K, but...

Delta put 25,000 bonus miles in my account but I don't think it is adequate. On the 22nd I drove a one way rental for $165 from ATL to TOL because DL couldn't get me to TOL for two days after a misconnect. On December 23, my 6:00pm flight home to RDU was cancelled and I had to pay for a hotel. I used a meal voucher I got in ATL since ComAir in TOL doesn't give meal vouchers. The next morning my 5:30am flight on the 24th was down all day to a mechanical problem. All remaining flights were canceled and I was rolled over to Christmas at 7:00pm. ComAir did pay for the hotel Christmas eve. I was one of three people in the Holiday Inn that night. The Waffle House was the only place open where I ate Christmas eve dinner with some well-tattooed individuals. Christmas day, that flight was cancelled and I was rolled over to the 26th. By this time I had given up and rented another $165 one way to RDU. My luggage finally caught up with me a full seven days after the ATL misconnect.

Since I typically get a round trip flight credit from US for a volunteer bump for an hour or two of inconvenience, in comparision, I think 25,000 miles credit is a pittance. At least 3 different incidents that happened to me would rate the 25K they have been gifting CVG flyers. I also think I should be compensated for the rental cars, so I will probably be sending a letter in for that too.

Outoftown

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.