Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compensation: Cancelled Flight and Flight Cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey
Weather???

Well, I got an email back from Delta that explained to me that they were sorry about my situation, but that they did not reimburse for weather related events. What weather? When I left that morning for SNA and then later LAX, the weather was perfect! The air traffic control system had no weather related problems in Cincinnati either. My flight was cancelled because the flight I was booked on never made it back to SNA. Is that considered weather?

I'm not real happy with their response on this one.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, AAdvantage
Piddling compensation from Delta

I was connecting through Boston when the poo hit the fan on the 24th. After making us wait until the wee hours they finally cancelled the flight and sent us to the Courtyard Revere, sans meal ticket, thank you. After 2.5 hours sleep and a lovely breakfast out of my own pocket I was back at Logan for my 11ish flight, which had already been cancelled by the time I arrived. The guy was walking the line, telling people to go back wherever they came from, Comair wasn't flying to our destination until at least Monday or Tuesday. Oh yes, the Delta rep said they weren't re-issuing tickets, they were telling those of us with Atlantic Canada destinations via Comair to approach Air Canada and see what they would "do for us."

Rather than spend the weekend in Boston I decided, eventually, to use my Aeroplan miles in a last ditch attempt to get home in what resembled a reasonable timeframe. It cost me $50 and 15,000 miles, but I got my flight and arrived home at 3:00AM, Boxing Day.

I saw the 15,000 miles in my account, but that isn't enough to fly anywhere. I think I am entitled to additional compensation, but having asked Delta, they have responded that they feel their offering is sufficent, and expect I will remain a customer. Exactly why would I remain a customer of an airline that ditches me in an airport and gives me next to no support? Am I out of line for expecting more from Delta?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:33 am

AP actually wrote something about the vouchers today!

CINCINNATI (AP) _ Delta Air Lines is making amends to travelers
who were stranded or delayed by flight problems during the
Christmas season.
The problems were most acute at Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky
International Airport where Delta's subsidiary, Comair, had a
computer failure that shut down all Christmas Day flights. Comair
did NOT return to a full schedule until the Wednesday after
Christmas.
Delta is offering travel vouchers or frequent-flier miles
totaling between 15-thousand and 25-thousand milles to those
stranded or otehrwise affected by the Christmas flight problems.
Delta officials say that the offer to each passenger will depend on
how much the person's travel plans were affected.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
It looks like people who got to their destinations same day (approximately -- I limped in at 1:0 a.m.) got 15k and those delayed overnight got 5. Does this seem right? Anyone not match this?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 7:47 pm

I got 25K miles. I was on an award ticket flying back from Asia into Dulles to eventually get to Cincy on 12/25. Got to Dulles and found out my flight was cancelled. They booked me on a flight out of Reagan to CVG (the flight was even an hour earlier than my IAD-CVG flt). Took a $50 cab ride over there and made it back. Course my luggage didn't arrive until 2 days later into CVG. So maybe my change of airports + lost luggage = 25K miles.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:30 pm

Wink Something for nothing!

I received 15,000 miles for flights I never took!!!

Originally I was scheduled on to fly ComAir from SRQ-CVG-XNA shortly before Christmas, but I was situationally-aware enough to call and change my reservation a day prior to departure, as Delta had posted a travel update on their website, thereby allowing passengers to change their itineraries prior to the impending snowstorm in the Ohio Valley. I connected through ATL instead, never having to deal with the fiasco that ensued in Cincy (although Delta did manage to lose my luggage thrice over the holidays, but that's another matter).

On the day of my departure, I did notice that the SRQ-CVG flight was delayed... and I believe it actually never departed until the Monday after Christmas.

Europe here I come... yeehaw!
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Honors lackey
Originally Posted by Cbass98
I got 25K miles. I was on an award ticket flying back from Asia into Dulles to eventually get to Cincy on 12/25. Got to Dulles and found out my flight was cancelled. They booked me on a flight out of Reagan to CVG (the flight was even an hour earlier than my IAD-CVG flt). Took a $50 cab ride over there and made it back. Course my luggage didn't arrive until 2 days later into CVG. So maybe my change of airports + lost luggage = 25K miles.
I can't find any rhyme or reason for who got 15K and who got 25K. If it was the change of airports + lost luggage, then I should have received 25K also. I also had to pay for the cab ride to the alternate airport, which they are refusing to reimburse me for. I didn't get my luggage until 1/29/04 for a 12/24/04 flight.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:18 am

Flight cancelled. No compensation. Any recourse?

As title indicates, Delta cancels my return flight and offers to re-route me through a city 50 miles from my original airport.

I request that Delta route me to a different airline so that I can fly out of the original airport. Delta refuses. Delta also refuses to pay for $60 transportation cost to the new airport.

I request a refund for the return portion of my ticket. I was expecting a 50% refund since I will be losing half of the ticket. Delta offers 35% because the outbound fare was more than the return portion.

Any recourse or am I stuck?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
You didn't mention the cause of the cancellation, but if it's something outside of Delta's control (weather, ATC, etc.), you're probably stuck.

Mike
Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:44 am

Delta has decided to stop flying to that particular city.

Originally Posted by mikeef
You didn't mention the cause of the cancellation, but if it's something outside of Delta's control (weather, ATC, etc.), you're probably stuck.

Mike
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by bamboola
just curious, is the city in question HKY?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:07 am

No, it's HVN.

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
just curious, is the city in question HKY?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by bamboola

Then unfortunately, you are stuck.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:18 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Interesting. I think we need more details. For example, what is the itinerary, flights, and dates. Have you flown any portion of the itinerary? For example, right now, I'm in the middle of a PHL-DAB-PHL itinerary. If Delta calls me up today and tells me that they've stopped service to DAB, I'll say "Fine, reroute me on CO or UA out of DAB, instead of making me drive to MCO." If I've not flown the itinerary at all and Delta tells me they've ceased service to DAB, I'd expect a full refund of my purchase price.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:27 am

I agree with jimrpa, if you haven't flown any segments yet ask for a full refund and purchase a ticket on another airline.

Don't forget that if you purchase the ticket with a credit card you can dispute the charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.