Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
ATL->BWI was offering $800 for two this morning. Would have gone for it, but next available routing doesn't get in until 7:30pm (rather than 9:30am)
DCA? IAD? Maybe those had earlier availability?

I love it when GA's propose high number for a crappy reroute, then you can improve the reroute when the dollar amount has already been committed.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Last Friday, my husband and I were supposed to fly JFK-YQB. We bid 800$ each at check in. At boarding, the gate agent said they would need 2 VBD volunteers. I asked, "so, what's the offer?" She said, "well, you bid $800, but we'll give you $1000 each since you're diamond." DONE.

And with the windchill this weekend there at -50, we just went ahead and cancelled the entire trip, with $2k in our pockets, and full value of our tickets to use in the future.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
ATL->BWI was offering $800 for two this morning. Would have gone for it, but next available routing doesn't get in until 7:30pm (rather than 9:30am)
Originally Posted by channa
DCA? IAD? Maybe those had earlier availability?
maybe alternate airport wasn't a viable option, given that the entire DC metro area is still struggling to get back on track from Monday's wx debacle (snow/sleet/freezing rain/ice)

I posted in the SDC thread ... was able to get my Sun night SEA-ATL-BWI changed to arrive DCA (so I wouldn't have to mess around with public transit as much), then scored a $400 VDB off the ATL flight to connect via MSP

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Last Friday, my husband and I were supposed to fly JFK-YQB. We bid 800$ each at check in. At boarding, the gate agent said they would need 2 VBD volunteers. I asked, "so, what's the offer?" She said, "well, you bid $800, but we'll give you $1000 each since you're diamond." DONE.

And with the windchill this weekend there at -50, we just went ahead and cancelled the entire trip, with $2k in our pockets, and full value of our tickets to use in the future.
very well played!

I was on an A fare, about #4 or #5 in line to volunteer off ATL, and when the GA said $400 and FC over MSP I said I'd take it now, no questions asked ... she told the other agent "I'm just going to do this one, he's up front, he's Platinum, he knows how this works"

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 16, 2016 at 8:15 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by iflyalexair

wow, wow, just wow . Well played indeed. Of course there are many on FT who will call you "Gamers"
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
First VBD!

Last Saturday, I was flying home IAH-DTW-MSN. The Detroit flight was oversold by 2 and I got a bid offer using online check-in.

I went early to the gate and asked the agent before any announcements, because I overheard her tell some off-duty staff it was oversold. She set me up on IAH-MSP-MSN, getting home 3 hours later, for a $500 voucher, and said to wait to board to see IF they needed me. She said she would try to get me in First Class as well.

As boarding started, she asked for one more volunteer for $400. Someone else volunteered.

As boarding finished up, she paged two people for their seat assignments, added an off-duty pilot flying the jump seat, and closed the flight. She printed out all my paperwork and new boarding passes, showing F on IAH-MSP and Y on MSP-MSN. I was upgraded at the gate on the second flight.

The Minneapolis plane was delayed an hour inbound so I almost missed my connection but it worked out. My checked bag went through DTW!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by blitzcon
She set me up on IAH-MSP-MSN, getting home 3 hours later, for a $500 voucher...

As boarding started, she asked for one more volunteer for $400. Someone else volunteered.
I'm surprised she offered only $400 to the additional volunteer. I believe that is illegal by the VDB compensation rules. My understanding is that all VDB pax are should receive the same compensation amount which means that additional volunteer should have been offered the $500 you were given.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by mridley2
I'm surprised she offered only $400 to the additional volunteer. I believe that is illegal by the VDB compensation rules. My understanding is that all VDB pax are should receive the same compensation amount which means that additional volunteer should have been offered the $500 you were given.
Doubtful if that individual agreed to $400 at kiosk or OLCI
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
Second segment possibly oversold?

On my itinerary tomorrow, CLE-->DTW-->DFW, the second segment has no seats available. Upon online check-in or check-in at the originating airport (CLE) do bid offers come up for the second segment, or would a bid offer only come up if re-checking at a kiosk in Detroit? My layover is only 50 minutes, so there's no time for dilly-dally.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by plinth857
On my itinerary tomorrow, CLE-->DTW-->DFW, the second segment has no seats available. Upon online check-in or check-in at the originating airport (CLE) do bid offers come up for the second segment, or would a bid offer only come up if re-checking at a kiosk in Detroit? My layover is only 50 minutes, so there's no time for dilly-dally.
How do you know there are no seats available? No seats on the seat map do not mean no seats available...
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by woodford02A
How do you know there are no seats available? No seats on the seat map do not mean no seats available...
Good point... I don't know for sure. But if there were no seats available, would a volunteer bid only come up at a re-check in Detroit?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mridley2
There's no law or regulation that says everybody gets the same, merely a policy that is sometimes applied.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Bid offers come up whenever Delta thinks they need to, often several segments prior to the potentially-oversold flight. However, they come and go over time (they might come up at T-20, then not at T-10, and appear again at T-3).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point... I don't know for sure. But if there were no seats available, would a volunteer bid only come up at a re-check in Detroit?
You can also see if seats are available for sale. There's a maximum they'll overbook any flight to, so if no seats are available for sale it's almost certainly overbooked.

The seat map is likely to overstate the available seats on a route with E fares.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Of course my dad, who never flies DL, gets this sweet deal (traveling on award ticket):

ATL-AEX, $550 + miles refunded + Sky Club pass

All to take a flight 3.5 hours later.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
You can also see if seats are available for sale. There's a maximum they'll overbook any flight to, so if no seats are available for sale it's almost certainly overbooked.

The seat map is likely to overstate the available seats on a route with E fares.
Upon re-checking in at T-8, bids were asked for for both segments. Since my Friday evening plans were cancelled, I have the whole day to reschedule... keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.