FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:16 am
blitzcon

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Amtrak Member
First VBD!

Last Saturday, I was flying home IAH-DTW-MSN. The Detroit flight was oversold by 2 and I got a bid offer using online check-in.

I went early to the gate and asked the agent before any announcements, because I overheard her tell some off-duty staff it was oversold. She set me up on IAH-MSP-MSN, getting home 3 hours later, for a $500 voucher, and said to wait to board to see IF they needed me. She said she would try to get me in First Class as well.

As boarding started, she asked for one more volunteer for $400. Someone else volunteered.

As boarding finished up, she paged two people for their seat assignments, added an off-duty pilot flying the jump seat, and closed the flight. She printed out all my paperwork and new boarding passes, showing F on IAH-MSP and Y on MSP-MSN. I was upgraded at the gate on the second flight.

The Minneapolis plane was delayed an hour inbound so I almost missed my connection but it worked out. My checked bag went through DTW!