Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ryandc99
Link to open 2020 and beyond version of this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

My (LoganFlyer's) guide to maximizing your bump chances on Delta:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30484249-post1713.html

(The concise version:

1. Use the App to see if more people are looking for seats than there are seats available. As part of the Customer Commitment, gate agents, phone res agents, and tickets agents must tell you if a flight is overbooked if you ask. (They don't need to say by how many seats.)
2. Do everything you can to get on the volunteer list through OLCI or a kiosk at the airport, since some GAs use that list.
3. Talk to the GA as soon as the gate opens up--don't wait for them to make an announcement.
4. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the GA.)
Print Wikipost

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
A taxi from PBI-MOB is like an 11-12 hour drive. No way you only got in 4-hours later. Did you mean MLB (Melbourne, FL) instead?
My mistake, sorry. Wasn't PBI, was PNS
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by vsgvarun
DL1138 4:10PM ATL-CVG Oversold. Gave me $800 voucher to get on 9:51PM Flight to CVG.
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Can anyone confirm there is/was a ATL/CVG flight at 9:51PM and that they paid $800? Postings by vsg are suspect.
Interesting--there was not a 9:51pm ATL-CVG on Monday, 12 Oct. After the 4:10pm flight, there was one at 7:15 (DL 384), then one at 10:10 (DL 1998). Sunday, 11 Oct, had the same schedule. vsgvarun, did you travel on a different day?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Can anyone confirm there is/was a ATL/CVG flight at 9:51PM and that they paid $800? Postings by vsg are suspect.
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Interesting--there was not a 9:51pm ATL-CVG on Monday, 12 Oct. After the 4:10pm flight, there was one at 7:15 (DL 384), then one at 10:10 (DL 1998). Sunday, 11 Oct, had the same schedule. vsgvarun, did you travel on a different day?
Very interesting and nice work. I've been following vsgvarun in the other threads and it's all very crazy and suspect. This adds to that.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Very interesting and nice work. I've been following vsgvarun in the other threads and it's all very crazy and suspect. This adds to that.
In vsgvarun 's first thread he talked about flying 10/14 and the GM getting the upgrade over him....then later vsgvarun says he's a teen who flies on the weekends. 10/14 is a Wednesday... nothing seems to add up.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kop84
In vsgvarun 's first thread he talked about flying 10/14 and the GM getting the upgrade over him....then later vsgvarun says he's a teen who flies on the weekends. 10/14 is a Wednesday... nothing seems to add up.
Another good catch (10/14 not being a weekend). On top of that he/she claims their Skymiles account is continually being hacked, their reservations cancelled, sears changed, DOB changed. Not buying it.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I just took a bump to take a direct flight only 1 hour later and received a $500 Amex gift card. Hey DL RM team -- keep up the good work!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by lamont2718
I just took a bump to take a direct flight only 1 hour later and received a $500 Amex gift card. Hey DL RM team -- keep up the good work!
Was it one direct flight to another, or did you change from a connection and actually arrive earlier?

(Many years ago, I heard a GA requesting people to take VDB and not having much luck, even when she pointed out that she knew several people were booked on a connection and she could switch them to a non-stop and they'd arrive earlier. If I were on that flight, I'd have requested ORC and grabbed it.)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

Not necessarily comp, but booked DFW-LGA today. Flight was looking tight, so convinced GA to route me to PHL via ATL since I needed to be there tmrw morning. Saved an Amtrak ticket!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Quote:

Originally Posted by vsgvarun

DL1138 4:10PM ATL-CVG Oversold. Gave me $800 voucher to get on 9:51PM Flight to CVG.

DL1138 went out with positive space that evening according to my DL contact.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
A little late to the game... I was a volunteer for DL2445 from Dallas Love to Atlanta. It was the same day as an early afternoon Cowboys vs. Falcons (Sep 27), so the flight was WAY overbooked. Even though I "bid" $400 on the bump, I received $600! The three involuntary bumps each received $1,000. I got a night at the Crowne Plaza and a meal voucher as well (plus the cab vouchers... the cab driver seemed overjoyed). I was booked on a flight the next day back to CLE connecting through DTW. The only negative experience was the GA at DFW was making fun of Cleveland... I love my hometown! But it was all in good fun.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Rookie Question: I want to get bumped, does it matter when I checkin?

I've been reading this fascinating thread and I have a few questions.

I'm one of those people who habitually checks-in online 24 hours prior to flight.

Question 1: Does it matter when you check-in if you want to get VDB?

Question 2: I have a flight next week from SLC-ABQ at arrives at 11:59pm and wouldn't mind getting bumped from and stay overnight at SLC. What would be a good strategy to get bumped?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by backdoc; Oct 15, 2015 at 5:35 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by backdoc
I've been reading this fascinating thread and I have a few questions.

I'm one of those people who habitually checks-in online 24 hours prior to flight.

Question 1: Does it matter when you check-in if you want to get VDB?

Question 2: I have a flight next week from SLC-ABQ at arrives at 11:59pm and wouldn't mind getting bumped from and stay overnight at SLC. What would be a good strategy to get bumped?

Thanks,

Steve
When you check in might impact if you see the VDB "bid" notice, but it shouldn't impact whether or not you get to volunteer once the boarding process starts. I always check in at T-24 so I can get a decent chance at grabbing any C+ seats that were blocked, and occasionally get the VDB offer to bid at check in. I always also stop by a kiosk at the airport to print my boarding pass, which is a second chance to see the VDB notice if the need developed since check in. In both cases, I always also speak to the GA in person and let them know I'm willing to take the VDB. I'm not serious enough about the process to ask the GA if I didn't see the notice, but I know some do. If you're really interested, just approach the desk as soon as the GA is there, and ask/offer.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:18 am

Wow, thanks.

This is my first trip while Gold Medallion and so I'm not sure how the upgrade process works. On my first two legs I was complimentary upgraded to the front 4 days out from travel. Today is 4 days out from my next two legs and there are 3 seats in FC still up for grabs. If I don't get upgraded to FC do the available C+ seats then become available as MEDALLION UPGRADE after the FC upgrade list is processed?

Thanks,

Steve

Originally Posted by mpheels
When you check in might impact if you see the VDB "bid" notice, but it shouldn't impact whether or not you get to volunteer once the boarding process starts. I always check in at T-24 so I can get a decent chance at grabbing any C+ seats that were blocked, and occasionally get the VDB offer to bid at check in. I always also stop by a kiosk at the airport to print my boarding pass, which is a second chance to see the VDB notice if the need developed since check in. In both cases, I always also speak to the GA in person and let them know I'm willing to take the VDB. I'm not serious enough about the process to ask the GA if I didn't see the notice, but I know some do. If you're really interested, just approach the desk as soon as the GA is there, and ask/offer.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: DL-PM
Little late on the post, but grabbed a $800 VDB on DTW-PHX oversold by 4 Sunday in September. GA claimed next flight would be the first one out Monday, turned out that she could only get us on the noonish flight. I was fine with it, but one guy kind of flipped out as she had said the first one out at 8am. Also, interestingly the offer announced by the agent was $600, but I had bid $800 at the kiosk and that was honored. Got put up at the Westin but no meal vouchers.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:37 am

How can you tell its oversold?

How can you tell its oversold and by how many seats?

Thanks,

Steve

Originally Posted by mills1090
Little late on the post, but grabbed a $800 VDB on DTW-PHX oversold by 4 Sunday in September. GA claimed next flight would be the first one out Monday, turned out that she could only get us on the noonish flight. I was fine with it, but one guy kind of flipped out as she had said the first one out at 8am. Also, interestingly the offer announced by the agent was $600, but I had bid $800 at the kiosk and that was honored. Got put up at the Westin but no meal vouchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.