Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Congratuations on Becoming a Delta Air Lines Million Miler!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congratuations on Becoming a Delta Air Lines Million Miler!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by brkandjfk
My read (and I'll bet the reality) is that the two methods for Silver qualification are not consecutive they're concurrent. Meaning to reach Gold, you're still going to have to hit 60 segments or 50K miles, not the difference between silver and gold... (just because they make you silver doesn't mean they give you 25K mqm credit...)

Anyone else know for sure?
You are spot on.

One MM miles of past loyalty doesn't get you as much as whatever it takes to target you for the "fly X... a ridiculously small number... of flights and we'll bump you to the next level" promo.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by louis66
Well.. this is where I'm confused.

...So, I take that to mean that if I then fly 25K miles, I would hit GM and if I fly 50K miles, I would then hit PM.

If that's the case, my question is whether DL will grant that automatic SM starting point for the year when MM tier is reached, which would mean that with my 50K miles already flown this year, I would be bumped to PM.
No. You still have to fly 50k miles for GM / 75k miles for PM. The only advantage as a MM is that if you were to severly curtail travel, you would still have FO status if you flew less than 25k miles.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
You get the status but NOT the MQMs. It is like gifted status...no MQMs are awarded so the only way to get to GM is to get 50k MQM....MM does not help there.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: DL 1MM, DL DM, AMEX DL Reserve, AA, UA, WN, Hertz PC.
Hmmm..

Thanks to everyone who responded.

DL should really do a better job of explaining the MM benefits on the site.

Seems like MM does not really give you any benefits unless you STOP flying DL. Doesn't make sense from a loyalty standpoint if it doesn't even help you on upgrade priority lists.
May make sense to try and get a status match from UA or AA and do the next million there.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Seems like MM does not really give you any benefits unless you STOP flying DL. Doesn't make sense from a loyalty standpoint if it doesn't even help you on upgrade priority lists.
But it does give you all the Silver benefits, regardless of whether flying on Delta is stopped or not. After retiring I still fly Delta but use award tickets for many flights and pay for others. Unfortunately, I don't hit 25K MQM (or won't for a few years until the miles run out) but the MM keeps me in the game, including being on upgrade lists (see sig) nicely so far in 2011 and expected to have good prospects to clear on at least 4 of my 8 scheduled segments over the next two months.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:32 am

Agreed

Thanks Pharaoh,
I agree.. but also supports my point that I'm better off moving on to AA or UA for my next million miles. This way, when I retire, I can get the same benefits on a couple of airlines. More options.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Pharaoh,
I agree.. but also supports my point that I'm better off moving on to AA or UA for my next million miles. This way, when I retire, I can get the same benefits on a couple of airlines. More options.
Exactly.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:06 am

and....

Just found out that UA gives their MMs Premier Executive (equivalent to DL GM) instead of just Silver.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just found out that UA gives their MMs Premier Executive (equivalent to DL GM) instead of just Silver.
Yes, and Continental One Pass awards Silver status. Which standard do you think is going to prevail? Are you suspicious that detail hasn't been addressed nine months after the merger transaction?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, and Continental One Pass awards Silver status. Which standard do you think is going to prevail? Are you suspicious that detail hasn't been addressed nine months after the merger transaction?
Perhaps CO and UA are about to role model DL management's approach to choosing "the best of each."
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Correct me if I am wrong here but, no MM program starts you off every year with the EQM's of the status the MM grants you and in turn you still need to fly the same miles to obtain a higher status. Therefor deflecting to another airline for MM won't give the OP what he is complaining about.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlad1101
Correct me if I am wrong here but, no MM program starts you off every year with the EQM's of the status the MM grants you and in turn you still need to fly the same miles to obtain a higher status. Therefor deflecting to another airline for MM won't give the OP what he is complaining about.
No but the point is the OP will now be FO forever (or the DL definition of forever anyway) so now the OP should go after another airline MM program if attainable...there is no need to put any MQMs on DL if FO is all the OP wants anyway.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by avidflyer
No but the point is the OP will now be FO forever (or the DL definition of forever anyway) so now the OP should go after another airline MM program if attainable...there is no need to put any MQMs on DL if FO is all the OP wants anyway.
DL "Forever" = DL "Lifetime" = length of time that it takes DL management to determine that their interests are best served by changing their minds

Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:59 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
Thanks Pharaoh,
Just curious how long it took you to get your first MM - It's not that quick unless you are virtually living on a plane.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slow learner
Just curious how long it took you to get your first MM - It's not that quick unless you are virtually living on a plane.
10 -12 years for a Plat. There are plenty of people here who regularly do 200k a year so 4-6 years is easily doable. I did my first 1 million after my 5'th year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.