Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Congratuations on Becoming a Delta Air Lines Million Miler!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Congratuations on Becoming a Delta Air Lines Million Miler!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, LH
Originally Posted by mcmitchell
Welcome to Flyertalk!

You have earned lifetime Silver status, which is commonly referred to as "FO," on this site.
Why is Silver Medallion called FO? At Nortwhest Airlines, we called Silver Elite SE.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
Why is Silver Medallion called FO? At Nortwhest Airlines, we called Silver Elite SE.
There are a few stories on the origination of the term FO. It does appear on manifests and the such as FO though for Silvers.

Not much different as to why a Premier at United is 2P and Premier Exec is 1P.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:54 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by balaji96
Just hit the Delta Million Miler. Any advice - does that give you anything more than Platinum ? Any other benefits from you road warriors out there ? ^
Not all frequent flyers are road warriors! I fly only for fun!! and . . . the basic, simple answer to your question is . . . No! . . . except for the tidbits mentioned above. I'd also mention that I believe the FA's have MM noted on their manifests next to your name, and will occasionally thank you for being a Million Miler, and once or twice I've heard FA's announce the PA how many of each Medallion class and 1MM, 2MM, etc, are on board!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
What 1MM does NOT do is give you any competitive advantage in the upgrade process. I think that DL should use MM status as a tie break within classes. Arguably, to achieve 1MM status, you have spent a heck of a lot more money with DL over the years than a person who hits DM status for the first time this year. Yet, you are treated for upgrade purposes the same as everyone else within your medallion class.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
Be very careful with the bags as your gift. The handle on the Hartmann bag is nowhere near as "tall" as a standard handle on a Briggs + Riley bag is. Thus, the only way to wheel the bag around the terminal is to drop the should that you're using way down and walk like an ape.

Other than that as others have said a bit heavy but I found it sturdy at the same time.

If you're 5'4" or less the bag should work for you as my sister now proudly displays my old bag on her travels.
Thanks for the heads up.

Based upon your post, I e-mailed Hartmann. They responded that the handle on the 22" rollaboard is 38 inches from the floor when fully extended.

That is 4.5 inches shorter than the handle on my 22" Briggs & Riley bag. At 6'3", I am skeptical that the Hartman will work for me.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mersk862
There are a few stories on the origination of the term FO. It does appear on manifests and the such as FO though for Silvers.

Not much different as to why a Premier at United is 2P and Premier Exec is 1P.
There is the story of "Flying Orchids" as the origin but whatever came first the bottom line is it is used to distinguish Silvers from the acronym for SkyMiles (SM). SM can bes taken as "SkyMile"s or General member vs Silver Medallion, also "SM". That the "why" it is used here on FT.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmith50
What 1MM does NOT do is give you any competitive advantage in the upgrade process. I think that DL should use MM status as a tie break within classes. Arguably, to achieve 1MM status, you have spent a heck of a lot more money with DL over the years than a person who hits DM status for the first time this year. Yet, you are treated for upgrade purposes the same as everyone else within your medallion class.
I am a DM/ MM'er but still considered a Gamer as it relates to last minute award changes. I doubt they look at MM'ers as deserving any additional perks for UG's either.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I am a DM/ MM'er but still considered a Gamer as it relates to last minute award changes. I doubt they look at MM'ers as deserving any additional perks for UG's either.
The way I look at it, if you're gonna give someone upgrade priority just because they filled out an application and were willing to spend $450/year on an AmEx Reserve (which I do too, so not complaining), you should at least give some advantage in the upgrade process to people who have been exceptionally loyal to your airline!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmith50
The way I look at it, if you're gonna give someone upgrade priority just because they filled out an application and were willing to spend $450/year on an AmEx Reserve (which I do too, so not complaining), you should at least give some advantage in the upgrade process to people who have been exceptionally loyal to your airline!
+1,000,000
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Geez so much negativity. Balaji96, welcome to Flyertalk. Congrats on reaching 1,000,000 miles. Delta will be sending you information soon.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ctbjr1309
That sounds familiar. I asked my wife to choose, she chose the Hartmann rollaboard and proceeded to take it on her next trip. I hear that it's nice....
Originally Posted by calin_z
Why does this sound familiar to me too?
Ditto, my wife even confiscated the small duffel bag that came with it as well.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
When Crown Room/SkyClub Concierges Had More Discretion,

the MM designation was quite meaningful.

I've been a MM since December, 1994 (it was much easier to get that status back then, as all the miles you earned from any source counted toward it, and you got a minimum 1,000 miles per segment). It took me less than 10 years to get to 1MM status, but then about 16 years to get to 2MM status, and I was flying probably 20% more BIS miles from 1999 through 2009.

Anyhow, if you were on the road, and had an IRROP, concierges would do things like upgrade your fare basis to Y (which would put you at the head of the line for an upgrade), make sure you had a hotel room and a food/drink voucher even when weather was the cause of a cancellation and a forced overnight in ATL. One time, I was supposed to fly to ORD but really wanted to go to SBN, and the kind concierge in CVG found a Comair ferry flight (they were going up to the Bend to pick up the Notre Dame baseball team for a charter flight to Florida), and I got to ride on it with I think four other pax. Delta staff really would go out of their way for an MM.

My recent experiences have indicated to me that a lot of discretion has been taken away from SkyClub staff. Too bad; I really enjoyed it while it lasted.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
Ditto, my wife even confiscated the small duffel bag that came with it as well.
This same discussion is happening on the UA board. United Execs must know the dynamics of marriage. Spouses also are awarded Lifetime status along with the MP member.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
MM doesn't mean much with it only giving FO.

Delta needs to update the MM status like UA/CO did to make it meaningful... 1MM = GM
+1

If they did this, I'd be much more aggressive in trying to reach MM status (I'm about 75% there).
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:42 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by rylan
MM doesn't mean much with it only giving FO.

Delta needs to update the MM status like UA/CO did to make it meaningful... 1MM = GM
I agree.
Originally Posted by NorthFlyer
Why is Silver Medallion called FO?
Here is the discussion pertaining to that question.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Not lifetime.

Only annual complementary FO... for as long as DL management chooses to renew it.
Here is the official word on that...
Originally Posted by UnofficialDLHelper
I've seen quite a debate from everyone wondering why the term "Lifetime" was dropped and the new term "Annual" was added.

Well, if you think about it, in the past when you reached the 1 MM mark you were awarded Lifetime Silver Medallion status.

Now with the Additional Recognition Levels being created you wouldn't hold that same Lifetime FO status b/c once you reached the 2 MM mark, you'd then get GM status, and then after reaching the 4 MM mark, you'd get PM status.

So, you can see why the term "Lifetime" was dropped; I can see your point too, that DL can make changes to the MM program in the future, but it seems that can happen anyway with any part of the program.

Also....I've noticed in some accts, that this past weekend people who held status less than GM, but who were already past the 2MM mark were granted the new "Annual GM" status that was originally to start 1MAY03. I'm assuming to keep the dates together it was decided to move the date to 1MAR03 (GRS confirms this) and e-mails will be sent out soon to these customers.

That leads me to another discussion I've seen on here regarding 800 MSUs popping up in people's accts.

03MAR and 23MAR were load dates for 800 MSUs. People got their FO/GM qualification MSUs on 03MAR and then the customers who had 2+MM got additional MSUs on 23MAR.

I hope I shed more light on all of this than created more Qs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.