Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by ty97
Does this increase Delta's gate capacity at ORD with (possible) access to additional common use gates?
Not during the bulk of their operating day (they'll still have 7 like they have in E), but they will have access to more gates to overnight aircraft/early morning departures (T5 is very slow late at night/early in the morning)
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ND76
.. While I don't travel to Chicago anymore, I would make a special trip there to see the new Delta operation this fall.
If things ever return to the old world order, I was able to get some very good C tickets to Asia on MU from ORD. The only real pain was that the groundside connection to T5 sucked (even when the trail was running). And the SC situation can only improve.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at the presentation more closely, it looks like there will actually be 8 DL gates in T5 as I count 8 jetways -- M1C, M1D, M1E, M2, M3, M4, M5, and M7 (there's no M6). The construction docs indicates the new club will be a consolidated Skyteam lounge. Looks like it will be near current AF and KE lounges.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 14, 2022 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Southwest and Frontier gates are in T5 and they're currently horrible. There's no dedicated TSA Precheck line.
Arriving domestic baggage claim is a nightmare.
I hope the construction rectifies all that.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Southwest and Frontier gates are in T5 and they're currently horrible. There's no dedicated TSA Precheck line.
Security is being completely reimagined. I cannot see any scenario where DL would move to T5 without pre-check and clear in place. Also, while DL may only get the same number of dedicated gates on day 1, remember that the long-term plan is to move al OW and *A flights over to the rebuilt T2 in several years. This will open more capacity in T5 for DL and the LCCs to fight over.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Arriving domestic baggage claim is a nightmare. I hope the construction rectifies all that.
If you look at the link I posted above (repeated here https://www.igcinc.org/wp-content/up..._2021-0922.pdf ), most of the pdf file talks about upgrades to the baggage handling system.

In terms of DL, I think most of the opportunity for growth will happen after Terminal 2 is rebuilt and the OneWorld and Star alliance international flights move over, which should open up a lot of gates in T5.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Security is being completely reimagined. I cannot see any scenario where DL would move to T5 without pre-check and clear in place. Also, while DL may only get the same number of dedicated gates on day 1, remember that the long-term plan is to move al OW and *A flights over to the rebuilt T2 in several years. This will open more capacity in T5 for DL and the LCCs to fight over.
Since T2 reconstruction is not supposed to start until new satellite concourses are constructed, seems like WN might just take some of DL current gates at T2 since they don't have international flights to ORD (oops, I see they have a CUN flight).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 14, 2022 at 8:38 pm
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:17 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
T5 already has PreCheck benefits in play in part at least; and I'm pretty sure that PreCheck will not be disappearing with DL's commencement of operations out of T5; rather I expect that PreCheck will be more deeply embedded/expanded into full with the TSA's operations at T5 as Delta gets settled in at T5.

Originally Posted by xliioper
Looking at the presentation more closely, it looks like there will actually be 8 DL gates in T5 as I count 8 jetways -- M1C, M1D, M1E, M2, M3, M4, M5, and M7 (there's no M6). The construction docs indicates the new club will be a consolidated Skyteam lounge. Looks like it will be near current AF and KE lounges.

The AF lounge is no more, but from my perspective it seems to be close to the location of where the AF lounge used to be until its closure in 2021.
@ords is the FT expert on all things ORD, so he probably knows more precisely where the DL lounge is to be and whose former space it is taking up.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
T5 already has PreCheck benefits in play in part at least; and I'm pretty sure that PreCheck will not be disappearing with DL's commencement of operations out of T5; rather I expect that PreCheck will be more deeply embedded/expanded into full with the TSA's operations at T5 as Delta gets settled in at T5.

The AF lounge is no more, but from my perspective it seems to be close to the location of where the AF lounge used to be until its closure in 2021.
@ords is the FT expert on all things ORD, so he probably knows more precisely where the DL lounge is to be and whose former space it is taking up.
The document linked upthread notes they are increasing the number of security lanes from 9 to 13. In addition to the preferential use gates, DL is getting preferential use check-in positions and baggage carousels. The picture shows the lounge to be part of new construction which are shown in white (it's not using someone else's former lounge space) near DL's M7 international gate.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Being one stop on the train to and from the rental car center will be awesome.
SSF556 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:45 pm

Last year I was flying out of T5 bi monthly, this year will be slightly more frequent and I have had almost no wait time through security. Maybe I'm getting lucky with the times I'm going through security.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I was very underwhelmed by AF lounge as far as space, decor and offerings. The staff at the desk were friendly though.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Being one stop on the train to and from the rental car center will be awesome.
Having to take the people mover to T3 to get to the CTA will suck.
ohhleary likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Last year I was flying out of T5 bi monthly, this year will be slightly more frequent and I have had almost no wait time through security. Maybe I'm getting lucky with the times I'm going through security.
Since most flights there (currently) are international, late afternoon or early evening are peak times to go through Security. Mornings can be deserted.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Having to take the people mover to T3 to get to the CTA will suck.
It’s like 3 minutes between T5 and T3.
scruffair likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.