Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will there be a lounge in T5 when they first move?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will there be a lounge in T5 when they first move?
Yes, their sign outside the SkyClub mentioned the lounge moving to T5. Sorry, I wasn't clear on that point.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I think the sign said 2021, when I walked past last month.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:02 am
Suspended

Ord term 5 remodel

I was reading about the remodel about to happen at ORD. If I read correctly DL will be getting 10 gates. If so could the new gates create a focus city for DL? Or did I read the article wrong? https://ord21.com/projects/Pages/Terminal-5.aspx
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by sassybritches
I was reading about the remodel about to happen at ORD. If I read correctly DL will be getting 10 gates. If so could the new gates create a focus city for DL? Or did I read the article wrong? https://ord21.com/projects/Pages/Terminal-5.aspx
Not exactly. They will be demolishing most of terminal 2 after this to make way for the new terminal 2 (Global Terminal)
https://ord21.com/projects/Pages/O'H...-Terminal.aspx
They can't demolish terminal 2 before terminal 5 is expanded because they need the gates for the existing airlines in terminal 2 (DL)
Once they finish adding to terminal 5, DL will move to terminal 5 with other Skyteam members, then they will rebuild terminal 2 and the new satellite concourses for use by oneworld and star alliance members
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:50 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
DL is extremely gate constrained at ORD so additional gates will allow them to fly to all of their hubs and their focus cities (RDU, AUS) if they want. Perhaps it would also allow them to fly some P2P from Chicago but I doubt they are trying to build out a real focus city with the competition their from UA and AA.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sassybritches
There's been a lot of chatter here on FT about ORD.

DL has not signaled that they are planning to create a focus city operation at ORD. The move to T5 is about the long-term modernization of ORD, which includes demolishing T2. DL has indicated in the past that they would like to increase service to ORD, but mainly to their hubs / focus cities and a few popular business destinations. Ultimately, T5 will become the SkyTeam terminal at ORD, making for better connectivity between carriers.
sassybritches likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
DL would be absolutely crazy to try and expand a dual-fortress hub like ORD beyond service to their hubs/focus cities. This is just a O&D market for Delta.
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Delta doesn't necessarily get all 10 gates. Frontier has been expanding at ORD and they already use T5. Southwest recently entered the market and is using T5, and there could also be more entrants from the international market. I am not sure initially Delta gets much more than the current 5 (6?) gates they have now when they move. Technically, I think all T5 gates were common use, will that change after the expansion? T5 is very busy between about 1pm and 6 pm with the Europe bank, but can be pretty empty in the mornings and late evenings.

Longer term, when Terminal 2 is done and the One World and Star international carriers move over from T5, there should be room for DL to have access to a lot more gates in T5
sassybritches likes this.

Last edited by KBMIFlyer; Mar 22, 2021 at 3:22 pm
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
DL would be absolutely crazy to try and expand a dual-fortress hub like ORD beyond service to their hubs/focus cities. This is just a O&D market for Delta.
The ORD master plan calls for carriers with little or no connecting traffic to end up massed at T5, because it is so isolated from the rest of the airport.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 15cats
Not exactly. They will be demolishing most of terminal 2 after this to make way for the new terminal 2 (Global Terminal)
They can't demolish terminal 2 before terminal 5 is expanded because they need the gates for the existing airlines in terminal 2 (DL)
Once they finish adding to terminal 5, DL will move to terminal 5 with other Skyteam members, then they will rebuild terminal 2 and the new satellite concourses for use by oneworld and star alliance members
Based on how long they've been working on the new train, I am guessing these new terminals will hopefully be completed for our great grand children to enjoy.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by 15cats
Last I counted, DL has eight gates at ORD T2 so upping to 10 in T5 seems about right. Isn't that about the size of the T5 expansion anyway?

I haven't been to ORD in quite a while but I recall the DL relocation to T5 was supposed to happen by the end of 2021 (there was a sign about this outside the SC). Is that still the case?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Back before the new world order, there were some good connections via ORD into Asia via MU, Very good prices. The only thing that sucked was the transit from T2 to T5 (regardless of the tram running or not). You still had to enter T5 , maybe check-in and then clear TSA. Could be a war zone.

Would be really nice to see this project happen.

Of course I am still hoping the LAX T-2-3-Bradley connector gets completed this decade.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 5, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 5, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BearX220
The ORD master plan calls for carriers with little or no connecting traffic to end up massed at T5, because it is so isolated from the rest of the airport.
Which seems completely backwards since they are the people who are actually going to leave the airport. Connecting passengers don't care how convenient an airport terminal is to the outside world. Not having the the ability to walk to the blue line station is a bummer.
BearX220 and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 5:31 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Which seems completely backwards since they are the people who are actually going to leave the airport. Connecting passengers don't care how convenient an airport terminal is to the outside world. Not having the the ability to walk to the blue line station is a bummer.
Almost 50% of all passengers on a flight to ORD are starting or ending their journey there. Which means by volume there will be more AA and UA pax who are affected than DL.

Source on pg 38: https://www.faa.gov/airports/airport...-Feb262003.pdf
KBMIFlyer and bonoman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.