Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by james318
"In the airline industry, having domestic and international airlines in the same terminal is known as a “global alliance hub,” Evans said, pointing to London’s Heathrow Airport and Tokyo’s Narita International Airport as the standard. O’Hare would become the first such global alliance hub in the U.S., Evans said."

I have to believe this is incorrect. Detroit is only one example where this is also the case. There are many others, I am sure.
So wrong - BA principally operates out of T5 at LHR -only IB which it owns also operates from T5. CX, AY, QF and AA all operate out of T3.

I would say ATL qualifies as a Global Alliance Hub as it is a single terminal with multiple concourses. HKG has a similar set-up - single terminal so easy connections from OW to/from CX. Even though SIN is multiple terminals, they way security is structured at the gates, it also is easy to connect to and from other *A airlines. I believe all *A airlines at FRA are in the main terminal with LH.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is only rather peripherally about Delta: AA and UA hold significant veto power over ORD developments, and this isn't financed.

Get back to me when there's a groundbreaking with a firm timeline to put Delta and SkyTeam carriers into Terminal 5.
AA and UA are on board with this plan. It will happen because all of the major players are getting what they want out of the deal. AA and UA get more gates (which will be common use per new FAA requirements for airports that receive funding from the FAA), they get all of their alliance partners in the same terminal and the no longer have to deal with the issue of arriving int'l flights into T5 and then ferrying the aircraft over to T3 or T1 for departures. It also saves pax from the inconvenience of transfers from T5 while increasing the international gate capacity.

As for the timelines, these are already set. The T5 expansion is underway. Next will be to build Satellite 1. Once this is built T2 will be demolished and rebuilt. The whole process will take 8 years. This is a done deal.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ords
AM, KE, KL, AF, MU already operate within T5, DL is planned to be moved in 2020 once the 9 gate extension is completed and yes, this work already has started. DL be using gates M1-M6 on a preferential basis.
DL needs to use more than 6 gates. As it stands I believe they are using 7 gates in concourse E and are wanting to increase their number of gates to support some targeted growth. DL needs to add service to LAX and SEA, as well as potential service to "focus cities" like BOS and RDU, among others. They really can't do this without more gates. If M1 - M6 are the plan for DL I see this as a losing proposition. Those gates are so remote in T5 and have almost no services close by. The only things that would make this tolerable would be if they found a way to all a much larger SC than they have right now. Now sure the terminal has the space for something like that.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
DL keeps getting the shaft at ORD. First, they lose their decent L gates for the ghetto concourse E. Now. they will be in the middle of nowhere where you need to take a train to get to the el station. Plus, that terminal isn't even on the main road that loops around ORD.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Hopefully DL will consider expanding/upgauging at MDW during this period. Move one of the SLC flights over to MDW, go all CR9 to DTW, and more mainline to MSP.
I hope this happens, at least the ATL, DTW, and MSP hub feeder flights. Maybe even the LGA flights. Trips to/from downtown via the CTA Orange Line at MDW will be much more convenient than an extra shuttle train transfer at to/from T5 to reach the CTA Blue Line station.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
This is only rather peripherally about Delta: AA and UA hold significant veto power over ORD developments, and this isn't financed.

Get back to me when there's a groundbreaking with a firm timeline to put Delta and SkyTeam carriers into Terminal 5.
Hopefully my traveling for work days will be over by the time that comes to fruition.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, United Silver, National Executive
Every delta flight I've been on in and out of ORD has been practically empty. Can't see this going well for delta.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pat427
Every delta flight I've been on in and out of ORD has been practically empty. Can't see this going well for delta.
That's mainly because UA and AA are very competitively priced for flights to/from ORD. There's no much incentive to fly DL for those who have ORD as their home airport unless they are traveling to another DL hub on a regular basis.

I think the change will be neutral to positive overall. Bigger positive impact for those flying internationally through Skyteam partners will not have to switch terminals anymore.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by pat427
You must not be on the same flights I'm on. Flights to-from DTW and ATL always seem pretty full to me.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Explorer789
That's mainly because UA and AA are very competitively priced for flights to/from ORD. There's no much incentive to fly DL for those who have ORD as their home airport unless they are traveling to another DL hub on a regular basis.
Or you are like me and like the high upgrade percentage and have the schedule flexibility. . I am probably 60% DL and 30% AA, and then B6 on ORD-BOS or FLL.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ND76
You must not be on the same flights I'm on. Flights to-from DTW and ATL always seem pretty full to me.
LGA is pretty empty off peak. SEA is a tough upgrade due to paid F/J connecting onward, but the flights I've taken are ghost towns in C+.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Timing of DL move to ORD T5?

I saw a sign outside the ORD SkyClub about their upcoming move to T5. I don't recall what it said on timing but it could have been by the end of 2020. Anyone know what DL has said about their move over to T5? Thx.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I saw a sign outside the ORD SkyClub about their upcoming move to T5. I don't recall what it said on timing but it could have been by the end of 2020. Anyone know what DL has said about their move over to T5? Thx.
A google search for ORD/OHARE airport construction will tell the whole story best. AFAIK, The move cant happen till non T5 gates can handle CBP for arriving flights
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
A google search for ORD/OHARE airport construction will tell the whole story best. AFAIK, The move cant happen till non T5 gates can handle CBP for arriving flights
T5 is undergoing a major expansion to handle more INTL arrivals and they plan to use temporary extra gates during the current construction. A new T2 where OW and *A will operate their INTL flights won't be open for another eight or nine years (T5 expansion followed by T1 expansion have to happen first). DL's planned move is well before any of those things are done.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
For digging a little, It looks like once extra T5 gates open, then DL will move. Basically they'll now be in T5 with their ST partners. I knew it couldn't happen without extra gates. As to when, that's construction dependent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.