Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Terminal 5 ORD - Remodel Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
The challenge with T5 is that the departure level was never designed to support departures AND arrivals, hence the narrow width of the terminal. For the domestic terminals the foot traffic was always designed to accommodate 2 pax per seat (incoming and outgoing) while was designed for outgoing volume only. It'll be interesting to see how well T5 departures level can accommodate the increased foot traffic.
Originally Posted by BearX220
That is a good point. T5's original all-international mission meant departing pax never met arriving ones. But the building design was also borne of necessity -- it's jammed into a very modest, thin crescent of real estate lying east of the main terminal complex, with the main ORD egress road hemming it in to the north while tarmac servicing T3 gates does the same to the west. There wasn't much else for the architects to do with their assigned footprint.

With the expansion project the new, non-Delta gates are more commodious, but ironically the M1-11 corridor will see more frequent a/c movements and higher body counts.
Good observations about how the original design of T5 was for arrivals and departures to be separated by levels. I doubt it's going to be an issue for a couple of reasons: DL won't be running primarily TATL and TPAC sized aircraft at ORD which, presumably, the terminal was sized for and they won't be making a hub operation out of ORD. It's the multiple arrivals and departures in very specific timeslots that really stress the footprint for passengers. Now that's not to say there won't be occasions where multiple flights will be operating almost simultaneously but probably not very often.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Wonder if the Swissair lounge will start limiting it to people on international flights only now that Delta is in t5. I don't think Delta has any international or D1 flights out of ord, so the majority of people entering will be AmEx holders who would also have priority and access to the Swiss lounge.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kthomas

ORD-LGA? Is that moving to T5 somehow?
Yes, all Delta flights are moving to terminal 5 and especially for ORD-LGA flights, too.
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Wonder if the Swissair lounge will start limiting it to people on international flights only now that Delta is in t5. I don't think Delta has any international or D1 flights out of ord, so the majority of people entering will be AmEx holders who would also have priority and access to the Swiss lounge.
You mean the Swissport lounge? They got a lot harder to use with Priority Pass in 2022, in part because of AF/KL and other airlines using them.

DL has no international flights out of ORD T5, but it has some international codeshares out of there.
BearX220 and Return2flight like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You mean the Swissport lounge? They got a lot harder to use with Priority Pass in 2022, in part because of AF/KL and other airlines using them.

DL has no international flights out of ORD T5, but it has some international codeshares out of there.
Historically, DL replaced AF on the ORD-CDG route in the winter. In fact DL had to use T5 for the departure because their T2 gates couldn’t accommodate a 763.
GUWonder and kthomas like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by GUWonder

KL, AF and AM (at least) will now use the updated lounge. Swissport has been taking those PAX since the AF lounge closed.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Just like the LX lounge at JFK, I can't see anyone who has an AMEX Plat/DL Reserve who would willingly choose the LX lounge over the a brand new Delta SkyClub
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Just like the LX lounge at JFK, I can't see anyone who has an AMEX Plat/DL Reserve who would willingly choose the LX lounge over the a brand new Delta SkyClub
The Swissport lounge is different from the Swiss Airlines lounge. Also, note it is Swiss Airlines, not Swissair which is now defunct. The Swiss Airlines lounge is closed right now for a total renovation and is part of Star Alliance.
roberto99 and GUWonder like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Historically, DL replaced AF on the ORD-CDG route in the winter. In fact DL had to use T5 for the departure because their T2 gates couldn’t accommodate a 763.
I would bet that DL will someday again have some international flights out of T5, but it has no international flights out of there. When that changes is yet to be seen.
BSAChris likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 3:44 am
pjs

Is T5 going to add CLEAR now that DL is a major tenant? This will help those of us who have a non-SkyTeam international departure and want to use better lounges elsewhere as long as the bus isn’t running.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pjs
Is T5 going to add CLEAR now that DL is a major tenant? This will help those of us who have a non-SkyTeam international departure and want to use better lounges elsewhere as long as the bus isn’t running.
Clear is in the works but not there yet.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:17 am
pjs

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Clear is in the works but not there yet.
Thanks - I guess that's good, but they've known about this forever. Slow implementation seems pretty typical for ORD from what I can tell.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pjs
DL wants and is working on getting Clear to T5. Whether Clear and ORD move ahead on that, and how fast they move ahead on delivering for DL flyers wanting to use Clear there, that I don't know.
pjs likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Any word on proper pre check at T5? In my few international departures out of there, it’s always been pre check lite
Old Oct 13, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Who will take over the former Delta gates at T2 concourse E?

perhaps JetBlue or Alaska Airlines??

Maybe United Airlines will take the former Delta gates. Who’s knows???

Let the speculation begin!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.