Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:14 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I assume that in the pandemic DL has not made mileage transfer upon death an option again - Anyone with info to the contrary please chime in
Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:20 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Don't tell Delta the person has died. Use the miles for your own travel and pay with your credit card. I can't really think of a reason why Delta would have a problem with it unless you specifically went to them. It's not like the miles expire so you don't really need to worry about that either.
photojojo likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017
Don't tell Delta the person has died. Use the miles for your own travel and pay with your credit card. I can't really think of a reason why Delta would have a problem with it unless you specifically went to them. It's not like the miles expire so you don't really need to worry about that either.
We redid our will a few years ago put my skymiles account info in the will along with all the investment/banking accounts - just in case. Told the wife to go someplace fun after she tosses the last shovel on me.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by photojojo
We redid our will a few years ago put my skymiles account info in the will along with all the investment/banking accounts - just in case. Told the wife to go someplace fun after she tosses the last shovel on me.
Delta doesn't care about the will. The day Delta finds out about the death the SM account will be closed and all remaining miles forfeited.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Delta doesn't care about the will. The day Delta finds out about the death the SM account will be closed and all remaining miles forfeited.
I think it's safe to say that the current policy is something akin to "Don't ask, don't tell" and DL isn't actively searching for accounts of dead people to cancel. The only way they will likely "find out" is if someone actively informs them of the fact. I suppose this could change someday, but I wouldn't really spend much time worrying about it. I don't think poster really expects DL to change their policy and allow transfers. Putting account info in will seemed more about documenting account so that it can still be accessed after death. Although I'd have some concerns about putting an actual account password in a will as I would suggest that info should be kept more private.

Southwest has taken a sort of middle-ground approach here in that, while forbidding transfers, they specifically allow accounts to be open for up to two years after death --
"Points may not be transferred to a Member's estate or as part of a settlement, inheritance, or will. In the event of a Member’s death, his/her account will become inactive after 24 months from the last earning date (unless the account is requested to be closed) and points will be unavailable for use."
trooper and bloc0102 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 20, 2021 at 7:05 am
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
I think it's safe to say that the current policy is something akin to "Don't ask, don't tell" and DL isn't actively searching for accounts of dead people to cancel. The only way they will likely "find out" is if someone actively informs them of the fact. I suppose this could change someday, but I wouldn't really spend much time worrying about it. I don't think poster really expects DL to change their policy and allow transfers. Putting account info in will seemed more about documenting account so that it can still be accessed after death. Although I'd have some concerns about putting an actual account password in a will as I would suggest that info should be kept more private.
I think this is all deplorable. I agree the it does seem to be a don't ask don't tell thing. BUT, and a big but, I can see it happening all of the time that people are calling Delta that aren't familiar with the policy. And they say something like that "my husband died with a million miles and I want to go to Hawaii. What can you work out for me?" Not only will they work out not sending you to Hawaii, you just lost the all the miles. It really is shameful of them to do this in my opinion.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by indufan
I think this is all deplorable. I agree the it does seem to be a don't ask don't tell thing. BUT, and a big but, I can see it happening all of the time that people are calling Delta that aren't familiar with the policy. And they say something like that "my husband died with a million miles and I want to go to Hawaii. What can you work out for me?" Not only will they work out not sending you to Hawaii, you just lost the all the miles. It really is shameful of them to do this in my opinion.
I think the reality of the issue is that DL has no problem with the miles being used, but does not want accounts to be effectively merged. The thing with merging is that it allows small accounts to add up to a full ticket.

Truth be, it is getting fairly archaic. With .01/mile becoming almost ubiquous with no need of buying a full ticket, can spend from a small account with no need to merge.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
One thing that’s been speculated about before is that the closing of a co-branded credit card due to the death of the primary cardholder might flag the FF account somehow.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I think the reality of the issue is that DL has no problem with the miles being used, but does not want accounts to be effectively merged. The thing with merging is that it allows small accounts to add up to a full ticket.
You think one full ticket is the issue and not my seven-digit balance?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by indufan
You think one full ticket is the issue and not my seven-digit balance?
But that balance can always be spent easily enough after death.

Me, Mom and the two sisters would be off flying on a round the world BE trip. Thanks Dad :-)
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe

Truth be, it is getting fairly archaic. With .01/mile becoming almost ubiquous with no need of buying a full ticket, can spend from a small account with no need to merge.
I have always struggled to use my kids accounts with less than +/-5,000 miles (without them being able to get an amex card for pwm). The cheapest one way award is usually in the +/- 4,000 range so I’m sure DL has thousands of small-balance accounts all with less than 4,000 miles that will rarely get used.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Audie
So in theory....we are about to book some tickets...she could ask to use the miles from her husbands account because he will not be traveling?
In theory if you have access to the account online you can do it, I wouldn't attempt over the phone.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Yes. Correct. It's in there so they can have immediate access to it and burn the points if necessary, not as a "I bequeath to thee".
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:07 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Agreed. Remember the miles are the property of the airline, not you.
I was helping a family friend last week
I did manage to transfer the miles in Alaska account to related family last week. All it took was an email with a copy of the death certificate.
I helped use up the BA Avios for their family travel - do it before you close the credit cards by the way.
DL is better left in the dark and once miles are used up, they can be told.

The best transferable points are pennies in the joint bank account - Go for cash back
- BofA 1.5-2.6% cash or Cii MC 2c cash or Fidelity Visa 2c cash or just any 1.5c cash card, of which there are plenty
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Banks are restricted on what they can tell third parties. They can tell DL the account is closed. However they're not going to say why. Heck when they open a DL SM account (as part of getting DL AMEX if you don't already have one) DL isn't even given your DOB by bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.