Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's nothing illegal about using them. Delta only says that they "reserve the right to deactivate or close an account" upon death and that miles cannot be transferred upon death in the program rules. Technically, there's no prohibition against continuing to use them upon death. Even if there were such a prohibition, it'd just be a contractual issue and not a violation of any laws.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
... her and my Dad were basically one and the same.
That's just great.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
There's nothing illegal about using them. Delta only says that they "reserve the right to deactivate or close an account" upon death and that miles cannot be transferred upon death in the program rules. Technically, there's no prohibition against continuing to use them upon death. Even if there were such a prohibition, it'd just be a contractual issue and not a violation of any laws.
(Forward - this won't happen, the PR alone would stop them from doing)

Technical as the miles are property of airline and Father has no authority to spend them, he wouldn't have a valid ticket. Thus airline could (if they wished to incur God's wrath) make case that person committed theft of services.

Only time I've heard of airline even considering something like this (pressing charges for invalid ticket), when it was a clear case of known theft. ie they paid someone to issue a ticket without paying fare/qualifying. There was a case I know decade or 2 back. Agent had family member die, one with large stash of miles. Agent booked tickets for self despite knowing 100% the miles where technically no longer valid for use. Other family members who knew login did same thing. However no action against them since they wouldn't be expected to know this was wrong. However, agent was pursued.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA, HA
Just a note of caution. I tried to book a ticket on AA last week in my wife's account using my credit card. System would not allow. Required a card with her name on it. Don't have any experience with Delta. May get a little complicated if you have closed her CC accounts.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:56 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Delta miles don’t expire, until you do, technically.
I wonder if it's different on "Spirit"

I'll never find out . . .

(I will show myself out)
sushanna1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by richb3125
Just a note of caution. I tried to book a ticket on AA last week in my wife's account using my credit card. System would not allow. Required a card with her name on it. Don't have any experience with Delta. May get a little complicated if you have closed her CC accounts.
I’ve found that on AA awards, the last name needs to be the same on the credit card. I’ve booked awards out of my wife’s account before, and just changed the last name on the card when entering, and it went through fine.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:15 am

My wife's Grandfather died a few months ago and he had about 400,000 AA Miles.

My mother in law had all of his passwords and log ins. My Wife and I have booked a couple of business class flights with the miles to burn them as quickly as possible. I'm not sure if AA will ever know or care, but (I don't know if Delta has the same rule), AA requires that all bookings made with miles use a credit card with the member's exact name. My mother-in-law kept one credit card alive for us, and we have been paying the bill for the flights we've booked, but that card will need to be turned off in the not too distant future.
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Thanks all for the replies. Yes, I recently saw a post on one of the travel blogs about a United program where you donate miles to families to travel to see one another due to major illness or terminal diseases... which would have been NICE to know about before her death... but indeed maybe a worthy cause. That, or fly my dad somewhere who has been locked up taking care of her for so long. I do hope Delta does not have such a death database, they owe my Dad these miles at the absolute very least, he was such a saint, and Mom earned them. Out of any and all illegal things I'd ever do or consider doing, using Mom's miles for him after she died is EASILY the easiest and of which I'd feel absolutely guilt free. And yes, thankfully, we do have access to her accounts... her and my Dad were basically one and the same.
After my mother died, I used her Delta miles to book 2 tickets. After the trip I notified Delta that she had died and tried to close the account as we were closing all her various accounts. Delta refused to close the account; the letter I got from them stated they would only close an account upon receiving a request from the account owner. Umm, I just notified you she's dead? Eventually they stopped sending her (at my back-up email address) messages about the account.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As someone still managing stuff from dad a year hence, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Different loyalty programs have their own rules, but generally speaking the best thing to remember is that we are the product and not vice versa.

My mom was allowed to use many of my Dad's Delta points after he "upgraded," but it has been hard with so many flights canceled/changed this year.

For those of you in relationships with lifetime lounge memberships, my understanding is that most airlines provide access to the remaining partner until their death. (e.g. my Dad had a LT SkyClub membership, and added mom as a spouse. She still gets access even though he has passed.)

Please feel free to send a DM if you have more specific questions to ask. And again condolences!
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
What would your mother want you to do? Do that.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
After my mother died, I used her Delta miles to book 2 tickets. After the trip I notified Delta that she had died and tried to close the account as we were closing all her various accounts. Delta refused to close the account; the letter I got from them stated they would only close an account upon receiving a request from the account owner. Umm, I just notified you she's dead? Eventually they stopped sending her (at my back-up email address) messages about the account.
When was this?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Transferring the miles will cost you. Just use the miles from the account. There are some short runs one way in Basic for 7500 miles one way
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
When was this?
About 8 years ago. If Delta wouldn't close an account after being notified of a death, I really doubt they actively search out that info.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by trm2
What would your mother want you to do? Do that.
This! Four years ago my mom ended up in hospice rather suddenly, I didn't ask her as we had much more pressing business to deal with, but I donated her miles to Make a Wish (I think that was the one). I thought of using them and I'm sure she wouldn't care, but I know for a fact she would have wanted the donation more...
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Would American Express notify Delta if the customer' card was cancelled due to death?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.