Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
Would American Express notify Delta if the customer' card was cancelled due to death?
AmEx would notify DL promptly when an AmEx account is closed, but I suspect that privacy regulations might prevent AmEx from disclosing the reason (death of primary cardholder).
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by onuhistorian0116
My wife's Grandfather died a few months ago and he had about 400,000 AA Miles.

My mother in law had all of his passwords and log ins. My Wife and I have booked a couple of business class flights with the miles to burn them as quickly as possible. I'm not sure if AA will ever know or care, but (I don't know if Delta has the same rule), AA requires that all bookings made with miles use a credit card with the member's exact name. My mother-in-law kept one credit card alive for us, and we have been paying the bill for the flights we've booked, but that card will need to be turned off in the not too distant future.
I'd be a bit more nervous about this. Though if it is paid off I doubt the bank would care that much, but there is risk of consequences knowingly using a credit card belonging to someone who is dead, even if you're an AU on the account.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I book DL awards all the time from various accounts and use cc for taxes with different last name. Never had an issue. Also used P2 AA miles to book awards recently and used my cc for taxes with different last name. Again no issue.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is seems that somewhere between page 1 of this thread and page 51, the ability to transfer DL miles after ones death has been eliminated? Or is it simply usarous to do so? Without going through all 50 pages in between (I went back about 10) is there no wiki that has some update about what the “death tax” cost is, or what the best path is when someone dies with DL miles at death.

For UA and BA I had very good success transferring a dead parents miles to my personal account. Took a letter and avadavat for sure, but happened quickly and fairly easily.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Is seems that somewhere between page 1 of this thread and page 51, the ability to transfer DL miles after ones death has been eliminated? Or is it simply usarous to do so? Without going through all 50 pages in between (I went back about 10) is there no wiki that has some update about what the “death tax” cost is, or what the best path is when someone dies with DL miles at death.

For UA and BA I had very good success transferring a dead parents miles to my personal account. Took a letter and avadavat for sure, but happened quickly and fairly easily.
No path to transfer (without heavy transfer fees). Use miles for personal use and DL is unlikely to do anything.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
The official horrendous policy is that SkyMiles die when you do.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If some (living) person wants to transfer his/her redeemable miles to another person, the fees cost more than the value of the miles and almost what it would cost to just buy the miles from DL.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

The cost of transferring them, as has been pointed out, is ridiculous. Assuming that there are sufficient miles in the account to be usable and that you have the login information - add your phone # as a secondary number, add your email address and add you mailing address. List yourself as the Emergency Contact.

Use the miles. You can log into the account and buy award tickets for yourself and pay with your CC.

PM me if you have questions.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

As is very clearly stated, there is no path. Tell them person died, and poof, they're gone.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
transfer of Delta miles upon death

If a family member dies can delta sky miles be transferred to another family member w/o paying a penny a mile?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
There is a thread with details. I've recommended this be moved there.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Do NOT tell Delta that the Skymiles member has passed away.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Delta SkyMiles never expire! Until you do!
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by jonsail
If a family member dies can delta sky miles be transferred to another family member w/o paying a penny a mile?
They cannot be transferred from a living person to a living person even if you pay a fee that's much more than one cent per mile. Also, BTW, you can't transfer miles from one living person to another for only one cent per mile, although AFAIK you could use your miles to do pay-with-miles on someone else's ticket (booked through your FF account with your credit card) if you have a DL AmEx credit card.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Can you use the person’s account to book flights for the living person? Even if the deceased individual is not flying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.