Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
A FlyerTalk search (transfer miles death) discloses that the March 2013 policy change, withdrawing the former DL affidavit to transfer the SkyMiles of a decedent, remains the last word on this issue.

The informal DL policy remains, “Don’t ask, don’t tell.”

In other words, the survivor or heir should go online (presuming the password is known) and attempt to redeem the SkyMiles in the decedent’s account, rather than notifying DL and triggering expiration of the SkyMiles.

Seven years later, this DL death confiscation policy seems needlessly and extraordinarily cruel.
mot29, CO-PLAT and hi55us like this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Seven years later, this DL death confiscation policy seems needlessly and extraordinarily cruel.
As I have probably noted on this thread before, this policy is one of Delta's worst and is despicable.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
As I have probably noted on this thread before, this policy is one of Delta's worst and is despicable.
Agree, especially for a company that waives change fees for just about anything life throws at you.

However I do understand it from an accounting point of view. Those miles remain liabilities until used or expired. By expiring upon death, DL can write a percent off the books each year. (Basically an estimate of how many are no longer going to be used, thus reducing liabilities)
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
A FlyerTalk search (transfer miles death) discloses that the March 2013 policy change, withdrawing the former DL affidavit to transfer the SkyMiles of a decedent, remains the last word on this issue.

The informal DL policy remains, “Don’t ask, don’t tell.”

In other words, the survivor or heir should go online (presuming the password is known) and attempt to redeem the SkyMiles in the decedent’s account, rather than notifying DL and triggering expiration of the SkyMiles.

Originally Posted by indufan
Just when I was starting to accommodate myself to this draconian policy, someone has to bring the topic back up again.

Part of the ludicrous nature of this policy is that, periodically, DL offers to "sell miles" and there are various ways of paying more to increase the mileage you are provided.

But DL makes the ridiculous claim that DL, rather than the FF, "owns" the miles and, therefore, the miles cannot be transferred to a beneficiary upon the death of the FF.

So, you can buy miles from DL, but you do not own them after you have purchased them. Go figure.
CO-PLAT and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Just when I was starting to accommodate myself to this draconian policy, someone has to bring the topic back up again.

Part of the ludicrous nature of this policy is that, periodically, DL offers to "sell miles" and there are various ways of paying more to increase the mileage you are provided.

But DL makes the ridiculous claim that DL, rather than the FF, "owns" the miles and, therefore, the miles cannot be transferred to a beneficiary upon the death of the FF.

So, you can buy miles from DL, but you do not own them after you have purchased them. Go figure.
It's a legal thing. If you owned them then you need to pay income taxes on them. There's also various other legal reasons. While it can result in odd/bad outcomes once in awhile, in general it is to both passenger and airlines benefit.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

They should change it to say that you're merely licensing the miles, like software
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I just wanted to ask about this thread - my Dad will pass soon and the funeral will be held in a different state, requiring my Mom and myself to fly to the funeral. My Dad's account has the miles for us to fly r/t and we'd like to book using the miles (since it's $10 per 1,000 miles to transfer from my Dad to my Mom's account we thought it best to book using miles directly). Once we know the dates we need to fly we will book and stay for 2 weeks -- so likely it will happen before any social security cancellation and things like that. Does it still seem like it's possible to use his miles - such that we won't have issues with Delta (because booking is no problem as we have all details for login)? Thank you.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Powers106
I just wanted to ask about this thread - my Dad will pass soon and the funeral will be held in a different state, requiring my Mom and myself to fly to the funeral. My Dad's account has the miles for us to fly r/t and we'd like to book using the miles (since it's $10 per 1,000 miles to transfer from my Dad to my Mom's account we thought it best to book using miles directly). Once we know the dates we need to fly we will book and stay for 2 weeks -- so likely it will happen before any social security cancellation and things like that. Does it still seem like it's possible to use his miles - such that we won't have issues with Delta (because booking is no problem as we have all details for login)? Thank you.
Hasn’t Delta changed their refund rules recently, and domestic flights are free to change, now? If so, and it applies now, I’d book tickets, and then change as needed. I wouldn’t mention his death to DL, at all.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:09 pm

Yeah, that is exactly what we are thinking. Book now before, change if needed, no reason to broadcast it. Cheers, Chris
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Powers106
Yeah, that is exactly what we are thinking. Book now before, change if needed, no reason to broadcast it. Cheers, Chris
Be careful. If DL makes a schedule change you can likely switch from old flights to new flights for free. However, if passenger initiates the change and additional miles are required for the new flights these additional miles must come from the original account, not commingled with a different account. If you make the change by phone they might ask to speak to the account holder for authorization. Maybe better to wait until you know your dates for sure?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 9:33 pm

Good point - we will buy highest price tickets (miles) that the balance enables so we don't run into that issue. So sad inside though, hate thinking about all this...
Old Oct 4, 2020, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

As long as you don't tell them hes dead they wont know. The suggestion on miles is moot. There's no verification password over the phone, just say you're him and you're done. Dont waste miles there's no point.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:01 pm

Sorry to hear of your coming loss. Just because it happens to everyone, it doesn’t make it easier. Add one more vote for just making the booking via internet when you have the dates. I think it just becomes more complicated other ways.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:31 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Any updates on what happens to Delta miles after one's passing? My father had some orphan miles (just redeemed some) but now just 6k left...
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
Any updates on what happens to Delta miles after one's passing? My father had some orphan miles (just redeemed some) but now just 6k left...
Use ‘em or lose ‘em before DL finds out about his passing and closes the account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.