Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
While normally a really stupid idea after death to quickly cash out my instructions to wife says: https://marketplace.delta.com/reward...RewardId=17924
Attached Images  
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Renes Points
While normally a really stupid idea after death to quickly cash out my instructions to wife says: https://marketplace.delta.com/reward...RewardId=17924
Have your wake at a Sky Club and buy drinks @2cpm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Zorak
Have your wake at a Sky Club and buy drinks @2cpm
I could just guest them all in with my Choice Benefit "Guest Pass" option.

No wait, I would be dead.

No wait, I can not do that now either cuz I can not turn off my free Sky Club pass option either!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:44 pm

ha.... my will has my login credentials with instructions to immediately book a family vacation and take as many people as you can based on the miles in the account. Celebrate me over a Margarita in Cancun for all I care...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by locked
ha.... my will has my login credentials with instructions to immediately book a family vacation and take as many people as you can based on the miles in the account. Celebrate me over a Margarita in Cancun for all I care...
+1 for this and the wake at the SkyClub haha.

I've told my wife to log on first thing and book herself a first class flight to somewhere awesome.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
Bequeathing miles

interesting thread. Professionally I advise Facebook and others on posthumous profile controls.
the trick here, as with high status game accounts, is make sure someone has your access info to be able to use the points, accounts, etc. and add a note to your executor. Many are adding these formally to their wills, even if the issuer says non-transferrable.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lovecabo
Just to play devil's advocate, if DL learns the miles were used fraudulently (to book a flight for someone after the member's death), they could legitimately cancel the reservation and ticket. That would be an unpleasant surprise. Or worse, could demand the cost of the flight be paid back after the fact if they find out.
Could you imagine the PR nightmare that would cause? Grieving family member "prosecuted" by DL for using miles for something?!? Man, people would be out with pitchforks.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL, BA
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I was being somewhat facetious, though certainly in a rather opaque manner.

I am not sure if the SSA database includes addresses.

In any case, I would not expect Delta to cancel a diemiles account without complete certainty as to the member's passing.

So I rather expect that this never happens in practice unless someone is foolish enough to send a death notice to Delta. Or in the rare instance where Delta sends something through the mail that is returned with an addressee deceased marking.

There is a benefit to Delta, as diemiles are essentially on the books as deferred revenue so it's kind of like an inheritance for them.

David
And in the case of reincarnation here on Earth? Will Delta reinstate then?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:26 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
passing of a spouse- miles transferred?

Upon passing of a spouse, does Delta choose to transfer the Miles to the spouse, if requested? One other airline chose to honor this and was very gracious about it.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Don't report it to them. DL closes the account upon death. The miles simply go away.

If you know the password, just login and book tickets. If you don't know it, can request a new password online if you know the account number. They can even snail mail one if you can't answer the security questions.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can usually reset the password if you don't know it if you have access to the email account associated with the FF account.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
I do know the password and can gift the miles to myself. hopefully for one segment of a flight. I was thinking if there were a few left, I could carry them over. Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nanp
I do know the password and can gift the miles to myself. hopefully for one segment of a flight. I was thinking if there were a few left, I could carry them over. Thanks.
Don't transfer the miles to yourself; the fees are more than the miles are worth. Just book award tickets in your name as a gift from your late spouse. It's best if you can do this yourself online rather than phoning DL, where the agent could ask to speak to your husband for approval. Also, you might want to do this pretty soon just in case DL notices the death somehow or the linked credit card is cancelled.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
If my sisters screw up and tell Delta I died I swear I will come back and beat them over their heads with two million SkyMiles.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Sorry for your loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.