Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:01 pm

The agent isn’t going to care that you used the 70,000 miles. Worst-case scenario they cancel the tickets.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
The agent isn’t going to care that you used the 70,000 miles. Worst-case scenario they cancel the tickets.
Hopefully before you leave and not while you are somewhere far away.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Sorry for your loss. I’m surprised the account is still open. I’ve only experienced this once after a friend of mine lost his wife to a stroke a few years ago. DL was pretty quick to close her account, although he never even contacted them to let DL know of her passing. She was a DM and Reserve cars holder at the time of her passing. He thinks (although no evidence of this) that either Amex notifies DL when he called them to close and settle her account or that perhaps DL found out when her Passport and Nexus docs were cancelled. Not sure, but he never notified them of her passing before her account was closed.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl
Sorry for your loss. I’m surprised the account is still open. I’ve only experienced this once after a friend of mine lost his wife to a stroke a few years ago. DL was pretty quick to close her account, although he never even contacted them to let DL know of her passing. She was a DM and Reserve cars holder at the time of her passing. He thinks (although no evidence of this) that either Amex notifies DL when he called them to close and settle her account or that perhaps DL found out when her Passport and Nexus docs were cancelled. Not sure, but he never notified them of her passing before her account was closed.
AMEX must have snitched.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by speede racer
You said "it would not look good" to spend the miles, which points to a moral compass. And in the grand scheme of things 70,000 points ($700 dollars) is not a lot of money. Claim the e-credit but forgo the miles.
The miles were her husband's to use. DL doesnt place restrictions on who can book award travel for. This isnt like she's trying to use a deceased coworker's account.

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
The odds of them blinking an eye about using miles prior to calling about the eCert are slim to none. If they do blink an eye, tell them you didn't know. It'd be awfully crass of them to dispute this with you
As long as they're not being sold, DL won't care.

Originally Posted by Often1
Hopefully before you leave and not while you are somewhere far away.
Simply put not going to happen in this case. Miles weren't sold or bartered.

Airlines arent notified by governments when travel documents are canceled. At best either AMEX informed (which has been suggested in another thread) or another family member (perhaps an adult child) contacted them about using them.

Bottom line, if DL actually wanted to strictly enforce this they could. DL could simply upload the various government databases of death, match names/DOB and cancel accounts. However they dont do this. The death policy has more to do with ensuring the miles dont remain as a liability for infinity. It allows them to make an estimate and say each year X miles are no longer usable. They dont care that a wife uses her husbands 70k mile balance, they care about the fact the airline has to carry on their balance sheet millions of miles that have no actual possibility of being redeemed.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Sale or barter" has zippo to do with this.

The simple creepy fact is that the miles expired when the account user died. Any ticket purchased with those miles after death is invalid.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
"Sale or barter" has zippo to do with this.

The simple creepy fact is that the miles expired when the account user died. Any ticket purchased with those miles after death is invalid.
I disagree. The points were earned so they should be used. Policy is to close the account once DL is notified. Nowhere is it written that award tickets for other passengers will be cancelled.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL GM/Hilton Gold
Redeem the miles. Go somewhere he always wanted to go or see family. 70,000 miles can go futher than you think if you're willing to travel off peak and in main cabin (heck, I recently got ALB > PRG for 40,000 miles in main and only paid 879 to upgrade to D1 both ways on the international segments).

Then seek refund on credit.

I'm sorry for your loss.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I disagree. The points were earned so they should be used. Policy is to close the account once DL is notified. Nowhere is it written that award tickets for other passengers will be cancelled.
The terms page say DL reserves the right to close. It doesnt say it will be closed. Also it says it reserves the right to close once notified. Until notified the account is in good standing.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I am very sorry for your loss. Do your best to use the miles and then seek the credit, it's probably what he would have wanted.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
My husband of 29 years passed away last month with 70,000+ SkyMiles and an e-certificate for $800 in his Delta account. Thanks to a FlyerTalk search, I know the miles are officially forfeited, and I also know that some people manage to use them anyway. I have not, however, been able to find out if it is possible for someone to use the e-certificate which he obtained when he had to cancel a trip due to his final illness. It is good through April of next year if that matters. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Sorry for your loss. If you have access to his SkyMiles account you can book the ticket in your name or even Uncle John's name and pay the taxes with your credit card.Delta won't know if your husband died if you did not inform thrn.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Airlines arent notified by governments when travel documents are canceled. At best either AMEX informed (which has been suggested in another thread) or another family member (perhaps an adult child) contacted them about using them.
I’m going to say AmEx was the culprit. At the time of his wife’s passing, their daughter was 16 and their son was 4. Perhaps since the Reserve card was attached to a Delta SM account, AMEX automatically notifies DL of the reason the account was closed, at least in circumstances of death, and perhaps a few others. Just a guess...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I’m going to say AmEx was the culprit. At the time of his wife’s passing, their daughter was 16 and their son was 4. Perhaps since the Reserve card was attached to a Delta SM account, AMEX automatically notifies DL of the reason the account was closed, at least in circumstances of death, and perhaps a few others. Just a guess...
It would make sense. DL likely would like to know the reason.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:30 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Just use the miles and the certificate as needed. Do not call Delta and inform them your husband is deceased. There is no need for this. Those miles can be used for anyone and Delta won't really care.
People need to not always follow the policies and just do. Better to ask for forgiveness in my opinion.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Just use the miles and the certificate as needed. Do not call Delta and inform them your husband is deceased. There is no need for this. Those miles can be used for anyone and Delta won't really care.
People need to not always follow the policies and just do. Better to ask for forgiveness in my opinion.
And don’t tell AMEX either!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.