Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2004, 2:13 pm

UDL: Thanks for the information. This is but another example of the very helpful information you have provided on this board and I know all of us DL flyers appreciate it. My wife and I both have provisions in our wills for the transfer of these miles just to be safe. This information should eliminate any problem when the unfortunate triggering event occurs. Given the discussion elsewhere regarding DL and Chapter 11, let's hope DL is still around to accept the transfer.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 6:59 am

I take it from the sentance

-OR- BEING GIVEN TO OTHER THAN SPOUSE:

that Skymiles could be transferred to ANYONE else, not just a spouse?

Jeff
Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
I take it from the sentance

-OR- BEING GIVEN TO OTHER THAN SPOUSE:

that Skymiles could be transferred to ANYONE else, not just a spouse?

Jeff
</font>
If it is willed to someone, why not?
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
It doesn't even have to be just a spouse. When my father died a few years ago (1997), I was able to transfer his Sky Miles into my account. He did not have anything about them in his will. It was very easy to do. I was both his executor and primary beneficiary, and the part I don't remember is which of those (executor or beneficiary) allowed me to direct where they went. Regardless, I just had to send a copy of the Death Certificate and either a copy of the will or the Letter of Administration--the transfer happened fairly quickly after I did that.
Old Jan 19, 2004, 9:59 am

UDH- Thanks so much. This really helps a great deal, as I'm doing this for my grandmother, and she'll be very appreciative. You're great!
Old Jan 19, 2004, 10:08 am

Related question. Assuming you already had access to the person (say parent's) skymiles acct + pin, and there wouldn't be a lot of orphaned miles, would it be better to use their account to request a ticket for yourself or someone else after they died, or to go through the process of getting the miles transferred?

Jeff
Old Jan 19, 2004, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jwhite4:
Related question. Assuming you already had access to the person (say parent's) skymiles acct + pin, and there wouldn't be a lot of orphaned miles, would it be better to use their account to request a ticket for yourself or someone else after they died, or to go through the process of getting the miles transferred? Jeff</font>
This has been discussed many times and some people continue to use the account. Technically you probably should/could not, but since DL does not read the obits on a regular basis, who would know.

Like many of you, I personally do all the tracking and ticketing out of my spouse's account already, same with the kids. If one died, what would change?

Old Feb 26, 2004, 7:51 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
Assuming you already had access to the person (say parent's) skymiles acct + pin, ..., would it be better to use their account to request a ticket for yourself or someone else after they died, or to go through the process of getting the miles transferred?</font>
You are exposing yourself to the possibility that another beneficiary comes along with a claim that you had stolen miles which should have gone to them, especially if the will could be contested. If this is not a real possibility, then I don't see a problem.
Old May 19, 2004, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Redeeming Skymiles for deceased father

Friends,
My father recently passed away and was also a Road Warrier, a PM for many years, he was less than 100K from MM but had recently dropped down to SM due to less travel. He has around 500K in his account and I need to know the best way to manage them for my Mom.

Thanks for any insight.
Old May 19, 2004, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by flying chicken
Friends,
My father recently passed away and was also a Road Warrier, a PM for many years, he was less than 100K from MM but had recently dropped down to SM due to less travel. He has around 500K in his account and I need to know the best way to manage them for my Mom.

Thanks for any insight.
Sympathies indeed.

As I understand it, this is the one and only way that miles can be transferred between accounts. So, if your mother doesn't have an account she can get one and transferred. Or transferred to you to book for her. However, the easiest way is that if you have the PIN number just to let it remain active and book the travel out of that account. I wouldn't have any ethical issues with it and I doubt there are any legal ones (unless it would be a disputed estate which I am not getting those feelings from you) but I am not an attorney.

The leaving them alone method might be better. I don't think we have ever confirmed this but availability might be better for MM status, I suspect if they were transferred, it would lose that distinction.
Old May 19, 2004, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Sorry to hear about your father passing away, flying chicken .

When my father died in 1996 he had roughly 30,000 Sky Miles in his account. It was very easy for me to transfer them into my account. I just sent them a copy of the death certificate and instructions on where to transfer them, and it happened within two or three weeks of when I sent the request. I was both my father's executor and his main beneficiary and the part I don't remember is which made me eligible to assign them or authorized to receive them (they weren't in his will or anything). Regardless, it was very straightforward and not complicated. However, I do agree with the above post from indufan that any accumulation toward MM status would almost certainly be terminated.

Last edited by atl runner; May 19, 2004 at 5:59 pm
Old May 19, 2004, 1:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
My condolences, flying chicken.
A recent issue of Inside Flyer magazine addressed this very issue. It seems DL has one of the more liberal policies about transferring miles to family members after a death. Many of the other majors insist on both a death certificate AND a copy of the will or trust specifically instructing where the deceased wants the miles to go.
The suggestion in the magazine was to include a paragraph in your will or trust covering your wishes for any airline or hotel miles/points you may have accumulated. The more miles and points you have, the more important this obviously is. And if you wish to will your miles to a non-family member, it's almost mandatory that this be spelled out regardless of airline.
Even though most of my outstanding miles are with DL and they CURRENTLY have a liberal transfer policy, who knows what the future will bring. Better to take care of this now and not have to worry about DL changing their attitude at some point in the future.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass, Starwood SPG, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards, American Express Rewards,
How to handle miles from a deceased relative?

Hi. My father passed away about a year ago and he currently has about 21k Delta SkyMiles...I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best way to handle it. Is there any way to either transfer the miles to my mother's account or to even put in an award claim on them?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 3:49 pm

When my dad died a year ago, my mom had no problems claiming his miles. The (obvious) first step: call Delta.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 4:48 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
When my father passed away, I was able to transfer his miles into my account without problem. I just called SMS, and they explained the procedure to me. As I recall, I wrote them a letter, explaining that my father had passed away, and giving them both his SkyMiles number and my SkyMiles number. I had to enclose copies of the death certificate (Note to anyone: If you ever lose a loved one, be sure you get LOTS of copies of the death certificate. You'll use them all!) and his will. The miles transfered in about 4-6 weeks.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.