Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding After 5/1/2021

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Four flight last week. (1) A220, (1) E175, (2) CR9. On the two flights with larger bins, both filled up before boarding was completed. We're not even to the busy summer travel season yet.
Everyone just needs to keep complaining to DL. I've been told by a good friend who works at DL HQ that they are aware of the issue.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Four flight last week. (1) A220, (1) E175, (2) CR9. On the two flights with larger bins, both filled up before boarding was completed. We're not even to the busy summer travel season yet.
Everyone just needs to keep complaining to DL. I've been told by a good friend who works at DL HQ that they are aware of the issue.
If they are aware of an issue and aren’t doing anything about it than I wouldn’t count on anything being done about it anytime soon. All they have to do is send out a company wide e-mail telling the GAs to go back to zoned boarding and voila this issue would be solved. Ironically on DL.com, there is no longer any mention that they are still boarding back to front as it was listed in with their seat blocking policy page and now that this is no longer active, there’s no way to find out that this is how they still board.
dw, MSPeconomist and mkstewartesq like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 2:59 pm

Yesterday's boarding process was interesting. Oh my how times have changed! They announced that due to the light load, boarding would be two zones. First class would board first, and then everyone else. Formerly a route with heavy business traffic where an upgrade to C+ would have been difficult. I was the only medallion on the flight. F cabin had 1 medallion upgrade (me), 2 paid pax, and 4 non revs. There were only two checked bags on the flight.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If they are aware of an issue and aren’t doing anything about it than I wouldn’t count on anything being done about it anytime soon. All they have to do is send out a company wide e-mail telling the GAs to go back to zoned boarding and voila this issue would be solved. Ironically on DL.com, there is no longer any mention that they are still boarding back to front as it was listed in with their seat blocking policy page and now that this is no longer active, there’s no way to find out that this is how they still board.
I can’t say specifically, but my guess from what I’ve been told is the wheels are in motion. I just can’t figure out what is taking so long or what could possibly make DL think business travelers will put up with this.

One interesting note, when I went through JFK last week they still have the Sky and general boarding lanes setup. They didn’t use separate lanes, but this is the first airport I’ve seen this. DCA, ATL, DTW, SEA have all removed these. (In my experience over the past two months)
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can’t say specifically, but my guess from what I’ve been told is the wheels are in motion. I just can’t figure out what is taking so long or what could possibly make DL think business travelers will put up with this.

One interesting note, when I went through JFK last week they still have the Sky and general boarding lanes setup. They didn’t use separate lanes, but this is the first airport I’ve seen this. DCA, ATL, DTW, SEA have all removed these. (In my experience over the past two months)
Given that DL seemed to know in advance that (middle) seat blocking would end on April 30th, they should have planned ahead for this. The bin space issue for elites and C+ customers is pretty obvious for any elite or anyone who travels frequently. Don't the people running DL ever fly on DL flights?
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Update 5/18.
I dropped a friend off at DCA this morning. He said they boarded by normal zones. Morning flight to MSP. Normal boarding announcement.
Old May 18, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I took a flight from SLC to PDX yesterday and the boarding was done with the zones,
Old May 18, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Flew JFK-LAX and back over this past weekend. In both cases, the process was: pre-boarding, then F, then C+, and then general boarding (back to front).

At JFK, they called C+ and the back rows of Main Cabin within 30 seconds of each other, but the GAs were directing C+ to the Sky Priority lane.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I predict that boarding procedures will be inconsistent throughout the summer.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta PM

Yep, I haven't seen these signs either. Hitting ATL-MSP-FAI-SEA this week, so will be on the lookout for differing experiences.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I predict that boarding procedures will be inconsistent throughout the summer.
Friend messaged me. Boarding his flight from MSP-LAX, they boarded pre-board, F, C+, they Y back to front.
Also said 100% full flight, many people not properly wearing masks while boarding.

Leave it to DL to make things inconsistent, which is nuts since they literally give FA's and gate agents a script to read these days. Flying out of JFK last week they had a script to read about the JD Power award. They've been reading a script for weeks about the new onboard beverages.
Old May 18, 2021, 10:18 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
DCA-JFK also boarded by zones and DCA-ATL gate agent also announced boarding by zones.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:13 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I suspect it'll be inconsistent. I flew OAK-LAX, and they went First/Diamond, then back to front (though of course OAK is a pretty small outstation for DL). Interestingly enough, they called the back 2-3 rows at the same time as F (though on a regional plane it doesn't make much of a difference). I did overhear a C+ passenger talking to their seatmate on the plane though that they thought the C+ came with priority boarding, as it says on the website.
Old May 18, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I got up to gate right when they started boarding for F dtw/bna last week and the agent announced First and Diamonds, not sure how they boarded after that since I wanted to make sure I had bin space and it was a full flight.

I was on a flight in april and they announced all Medallions could board with First.

My issue with boarding from back to front is that medallions who are carrying on and sitting in C+ could get screwed out of bin space since people sitting in the back tend to put their bags in the first available bin and a lot of FA's either don't care and don't enforce it or don't have the time to patrol it.
Old May 19, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Friend messaged me. Boarding his flight from MSP-LAX, they boarded pre-board, F, C+, they Y back to front.
Also said 100% full flight, many people not properly wearing masks while boarding.
It was the same on Monday from LAX to MSP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.