Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding After 5/1/2021

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Really absurd that DL is still using back to front when they're packing planes full now. So the rest of elites and C+ pax get to board at the end (since they're in rows closer to the front) when there is no overhead bin space left since it was all taken by BE pax?
Was on a Delta regional ex-ORD last week, and we boarded according to regular boarding groups.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 7:41 pm

Currently on a flight LGA-MCO, 100% full, boarding was still back to front. Gate at LGA was like a zoo
Old May 2, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by gbdbld
Currently on a flight LGA-MCO, 100% full, boarding was still back to front. Gate at LGA was like a zoo
Was there any overhead bin space issues onboard or did the GA mention the possibility of needing to force gate check any bags?
Old May 2, 2021, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
Was there any overhead bin space issues onboard or did the GA mention the possibility of needing to force gate check any bags?
Yeah the GA asked people to gate check their bags before boarding started and some did. Didn’t see anyone having to force check bags in the cabin, not sure about the gate.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Was on DFW-LGA last night in C+. Boarded back to front and GA specifically called out C+ passengers to wait and board last. I didn't need the overhead bin, thankfully, but the ones over C+ were full and closed when we boarded. My seatmate did and he did his best to shove his bag halfway under the seat and hoped no one would notice. (No one did, which isn't surprising since the crew also couldn't be bothered to keep bins specifically marked for C+ empty until we boarded.)
Old May 3, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I have some flights booked for early June where I will need my carry with me, and don’t want to risk gate checking it.

I am tempted to move my seat selection to the back of the plane to be safe, as I think my chances of an F upgrade are fairly low. But I would also really prefer not to sit in the “back of the bus.”

Have there been any announcements on when the process may revert to normal? Very frustrating that non-DM elites and others essentially have to board last currently.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:15 am

Boarding was a complete disaster yesterday. There were swarms of gate lice. They did not ask F to board until they got through the first few groups. About half the cabin boarded then and by that time they were already making announcements that all overhead space behind row 24 was full. By the time bulkhead F pax boarded all the bins were full and they filled the closet and squished everyone's luggage together to make room. Pax in F were storing bags well into C+ which made deplaning loads of fun.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ohhleary
Was on DFW-LGA last night in C+. Boarded back to front and GA specifically called out C+ passengers to wait and board last. I didn't need the overhead bin, thankfully, but the ones over C+ were full and closed when we boarded. My seatmate did and he did his best to shove his bag halfway under the seat and hoped no one would notice. (No one did, which isn't surprising since the crew also couldn't be bothered to keep bins specifically marked for C+ empty until we boarded.)
This is absolutely ridiculous! It’s time to start complaining to DL directly about this nonsense! Why should I pay Ed’s “premium” as an “elite” if I’m forced to board last and wait on hold for 4 hours if I need to get ahold of anyone at DL. There is absolutely NO reason why elites shouldn’t be getting priority boarding right now and a new study came out a few days ago stating B-T-F boarding actually INCREASES the risk of contracting and spreading COVID-19 onboard so this has nothing to do with safety and is pure incompetency! (https://www.aviationpros.com/airline...nt-study-shows)

Originally Posted by kavok
I have some flights booked for early June where I will need my carry with me, and don’t want to risk gate checking it.

I am tempted to move my seat selection to the back of the plane to be safe, as I think my chances of an F upgrade are fairly low. But I would also really prefer not to sit in the “back of the bus.”

Have there been any announcements on when the process may revert to normal? Very frustrating that non-DM elites and others essentially have to board last currently.
There have been no announcements on any potential changes. I assumed that BTF boarding would end with seat blocking especially since DL said they have removed all “social distancing” decals from gates, SCs, etc but it appears this was not the case. I would just board first if you really need the Overhead bin space as I doubt the GA will turn you away but it’s ridiculous as breaking the boarding process is only going to cause more gate lice and chaos at the gate.
MSPeconomist and thor343 like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
Boarding was a complete disaster yesterday. There were swarms of gate lice. They did not ask F to board until they got through the first few groups. About half the cabin boarded then and by that time they were already making announcements that all overhead space behind row 24 was full. By the time bulkhead F pax boarded all the bins were full and they filled the closet and squished everyone's luggage together to make room. Pax in F were storing bags well into C+ which made deplaning loads of fun.
It’s time to complain to Delta about this, this is unacceptable! I was on a few flights where they didn’t even call F/DMs to board first and it lead to chaos and many disobeyed the order and boarded when all the pax sitting in the back of the aircraft did, leading to mass crowding at the gate (and this was while seat-blocking was still in affect)!
Old May 3, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
I have some flights booked for early June where I will need my carry on with me, and don’t want to risk gate checking it.

I am now tempted to move my seat selection to the back of the plane to be safe, as I think my chances of an F upgrade are fairly low. But I would also really prefer not to sit in the “back of the bus.”

Have there been any announcements on when the boarding process may revert to normal? Very frustrating that non-DM elites and others essentially have to board last currently, while basic economy pax are awarded bin space.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kavok
I have some flights booked for early June where I will need my carry on with me, and don’t want to risk gate checking it.

I am now tempted to move my seat selection to the back of the plane to be safe, as I think my chances of an F upgrade are fairly low. But I would also really prefer not to sit in the “back of the bus.”

Have there been any announcements on when the boarding process may revert to normal? Very frustrating that non-DM elites and others essentially have to board last currently, while basic economy pax are awarded bin space.
Just board anyway. They're highly unlikely to turn you away. If they do, just say you need extra time and were late arriving from the lounge.
rylan likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Just board anyway. They're highly unlikely to turn you away. If they do, just say you need extra time and were late arriving from the lounge.
It’s pretty sad we are having to revert to this. Sadly the OP won’t be the only one doing this and many fellow medallions/C+ pax will do the same thing, leading to mass crowding of the gate whenever the first group is called (wether it’s FC or the back rows). It’s time to go back to the old boarding order.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
My first trip of the month is tomorrow. Fortunately I got both of my F upgrades, but I plan on submitting a complaint through DL.com about boarding zones. And anyone paying for a DL Amex should call Amex and complain since early boarding is a published benefit.

Bring back the boarding pillars.
DCAhome likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
My first trip of the month is tomorrow. Fortunately I got both of my F upgrades, but I plan on submitting a complaint through DL.com about boarding zones. And anyone paying for a DL Amex should call Amex and complain since early boarding is a published benefit.

Bring back the boarding pillars.
Even being in F isn’t guaranteed to get called to board first these days! I was on a few flights where the GA never called FC to board first and started with the last row and it sounds like other have reported the same here!
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Might as well just join the gate lice and board when they start the cattle call for rows 30 and higher.
cmd320 and viz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.