Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding After 5/1/2021

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I wish they would just implement this simple boarding process.

PRE BOARDING - Self Explanatory
FIRST - FC/D1, DMs and PMs
SKY - C+/PS, GMs, FOs, STE+, STE, and DL AMEX holders
BACK TO FRONT - with groups for every 5-10 rows.
A question here would be whether preboarding includes children, children under a certain age, strollers, car seats, or what? Or is it only wheel chairs and elderly?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Back to front is fine with me as long as loads are light and/or they continue to defend bins. I would like to minimize my time on board (and minimize the time in either C+/F where someone is standing right above me breathing down).

The problem is back to front becomes problematic when Ma, Pa and Kid Kettle decide to bring 4x giant carryons and stuff them in the bin. Assuming we eventually get back to that scenario as loads return, F/D1/PM/Sky/C+ at least need to be given the option to board before everyone to get bin space if they require it (and if they are just traveling with a backpack they can wait until the end if desired).
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:57 am

So I have noticed that when they call First Class that on a plane with 5 rows of First Class there are 40 people boarding. And when I get on I notice that Comfort is well seated.

So those of you who apparently have been waiting for your row to be called are not in the majority.

And I am sorry but quit blaming Ma and Pa Kettle. The elite frequent flyers are just as bad if not worse. Yes, I know you are DM but that doesn't mean you get 3 carryons (Ladies, a PURSE is a carry on, it's not computer bag, carry on and purse) Men, just because you don't call it a purse if you have an 'overflow bag" with your shoes hanging off your carryon, it's a bag LOL! (And screaming at the gate agent DYKWIA is not becoming when they call you out on your extras)

And I have been told more than once by a DYKWIA elite that 'since you are an elite you can put ALL your bags in the overhead' when I put my smaller bag under my seat LOL
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would expect they'll have to go back to traditional boarding zones. Otherwise as others mentioned, this will create a situation where the basic econ and no status consumes the overheads and there is little to nothing left by the time the 'preferred' status seats and C+ boards.

There is zero justification for having back to front boarding when they stop seat blocking. Same for the deplaning process where they want you to stay seated and wait for pax to be 6 ft away. Meaningless
El Boocho and cmd320 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rylan
I would expect they'll have to go back to traditional boarding zones. Otherwise as others mentioned, this will create a situation where the basic econ and no status consumes the overheads and there is little to nothing left by the time the 'preferred' status seats and C+ boards.

There is zero justification for having back to front boarding when they stop seat blocking. Same for the deplaning process where they want you to stay seated and wait for pax to be 6 ft away. Meaningless
The traditional zones are still printed or listed out on BPs so it does sound like they have a plan to go back to it eventually; the big question remaining is when?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect GAs will make their own decision.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I wish they would just implement this simple boarding process.

PRE BOARDING - Self Explanatory
FIRST - FC/D1, DMs and PMs
SKY - C+/PS, GMs, FOs, STE+, STE, and DL AMEX holders
BACK TO FRONT - with groups for every 5-10 rows.
This is very similar to what United had been doing. Supposedly they went away from it as of April 15th, but that was not my experience on flights on and after that date. I thought it worked fairly well.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One obvious problem that there are too many PMs to board with FC/D1 on DL flights. On some routes/days/times, this could be almost half of the flight.
cmd320 and ExArkie like this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
So I have noticed that when they call First Class that on a plane with 5 rows of First Class there are 40 people boarding. And when I get on I notice that Comfort is well seated.

So those of you who apparently have been waiting for your row to be called are not in the majority.

And I am sorry but quit blaming Ma and Pa Kettle. The elite frequent flyers are just as bad if not worse. Yes, I know you are DM but that doesn't mean you get 3 carryons (Ladies, a PURSE is a carry on, it's not computer bag, carry on and purse) Men, just because you don't call it a purse if you have an 'overflow bag" with your shoes hanging off your carryon, it's a bag LOL! (And screaming at the gate agent DYKWIA is not becoming when they call you out on your extras)

And I have been told more than once by a DYKWIA elite that 'since you are an elite you can put ALL your bags in the overhead' when I put my smaller bag under my seat LOL
A purse is a personal item, like laptop bag or suitcase (business type).

As for "overflow bag" GA have consistently IME (when enforcing rules anyway) told people as long as it's connected together with say rollaboard, you have only 1 carryon. (Ie overflow bag doesn't count as another item) Strange though since hooked together you normally now have an oversized carryon. They ignore that issue.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One obvious problem that there are too many PMs to board with FC/D1 on DL flights. On some routes/days/times, this could be almost half of the flight.
The other issue, pre-covid, DL put C+ ahead of Sky. This made for a strange boarding process in some instances when I had to buy last minute business travel tickets and C+ was full.
In my recent flights I'm not sure how many Diamonds or PM's there have been. Last week to SEA I got 2 of 4 F upgrades and on the two I missed I was at the top of the UG list as a PM. The two F upgrades I got were DTW-SEA and SEA-DTW. The two I missed were the DCA-DTW-DCA.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
In my recent flights I'm not sure how many Diamonds or PM's there have been. Last week to SEA I got 2 of 4 F upgrades and on the two I missed I was at the top of the UG list as a PM. The two F upgrades I got were DTW-SEA and SEA-DTW. The two I missed were the DCA-DTW-DCA.
I don’t think recent flights are going to be a very good indicator of the normal level of DM/PM/GM.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by cmd320
I don’t think recent flights are going to be a very good indicator of the normal level of DM/PM/GM.
I agree. But I’m referring to travel in the next couple of weeks, not six months from now. I have five upcoming trips in May/June. All business.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 2:31 pm

I've been flying first every other week for business travel. For some flights they say first class are welcome to board anytime. Other on short/regional flights ask us to board last. I always board in the middle between groups and haven't been stopped yet. Only exception was SLC to ATL on Delta One, had first board as the first group.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Wednesday, on my mid-day LGA-ATL there were over 30 on the UG list for F on an A320.

The lead FA made it a point to individually thank the DM's on the flight and to provide us with connection information. That group was comprised of myself and 1 person in C+.

As has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, the number of PM's will be huge, especially because of the 2020 to 2021 rollover and the Accelerator. IMO, including PM's in the D1/F/DM boarding group would be a disaster.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Originally Posted by Keith2004
When I have been in comfort plus I go up to board right after first class has boarded. In almost 20 comfort + flights this year never been turned around.
I have also been doing this and out of 6 recent flights, I have never been turned away.
DeltaFan4Now likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.