Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding After 5/1/2021

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The only resource needed to make this change is a company internal e-mail sent out to tell GAs to return to the old boarding process. It cost DL $0 to change the boarding process as the old zones still print out on everyones boarding pass.
lol - can you imagine the outrage on here if they just changed it and didn't say anything! Plus they seem to be having a hard time with just about everything these days, you really think one simple email and it all just goes back to normal? And even it it was that simple, they can't just let it be that simple.

Bottom line is I am sure it is more complicated than you make it seem, but we can agree to disagree.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
The current revenue situation does explain (but perhaps does not justify?) the current catering in F… but what is the cost to DL to revert to the pre-pandemic boarding order?
It seems pretty clear this wasn't about cost and was based on the (quite possibly flawed) reasoning that boarding from back-to-front would reduce potential Covid spread.
MSPeconomist and kavok like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by defrosted
lol - can you imagine the outrage on here if they just changed it and didn't say anything! Plus they seem to be having a hard time with just about everything these days, you really think one simple email and it all just goes back to normal? And even it it was that simple, they can't just let it be that simple.

Bottom line is I am sure it is more complicated than you make it seem, but we can agree to disagree.
It's definitely possible to make changes like this over e-mail. Over the Easter weekend, DL sent out a company memo the day before saying all capacity restrictions were being lifted and flights would be at 100% capacity the next two days and they were.
dw, MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by xliioper
It seems pretty clear this wasn't about cost and was based on the (quite possibly flawed) reasoning that boarding from back-to-front would reduce potential Covid spread.
A new study came out a few days ago actually stating that back-to-front boarding actually increases potential COVID risk by 50% vs the pre-COVID random "zoned boarding system."

https://www.businessinsider.com/back...e-study-2021-4
dw, rylan, MSPeconomist and 1 others like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:38 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
UA, WN and B6 have all transitioned back to regular boarding with no issue (I’m not sure AA ever adopted a different boarding system). If DL wanted to do it, there is really no excuse at this point.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
A new study came out a few days ago actually stating that back-to-front boarding actually increases potential COVID risk by 50% vs the pre-COVID random "zoned boarding system."

https://www.businessinsider.com/back...e-study-2021-4
Yes, I linked to the study in another post. That's why I noted that they are basing it on quite possibly flawed assumptions. There's a lot of Covid safety theater that looks to have been mostly useless or actually counter-productive. Unfortunately, a lot of this info seems to take time to filter down and result in actual changes. There are many businesses that still seem to emphasize rigorous cleanings even though current evidence suggests there is little to no spread via surface contamination. My local big box store that was formerly open 24/7, continues to play an announcement that they close every night for deep cleanings. People and businesses will often do silly and unproductive things which they believe to be good, not out of malice, but out of ignorance.
xiphoid76 and ryanm like this.

Last edited by xliioper; May 4, 2021 at 5:24 am
Old May 3, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Boarded today in MCO on a completely full 753. Those who needed extra time and assistance boarded at T-35. I boarded with F. Things were somewhat back to normal with gate checking bags and making 10 announcements to speed up, sit down and store your bags. The door was shut about 5 mins late...think they were a bit out of practice.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Lol not surprising that they'd close late on a 753 with only starting pre-boards at T-35. That plane takes forever to board on a good day... then factor in the leisure travel and kids etc, and they should've started preboards at T-45 and normal boarding at T-40.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
If boarding groups are more important then book with AA. I am not trying to be flippant, but like always if you like how the competition is dealing with this better vote with your wallet.
It's not like snapping your fingers and suddenly all of your miles and elite status transfer to AA. (plus my company's SkyBonus account) You seem to be defending Delta's stance to advertise and charge for a benefit they aren't giving to passengers. Providing them feedback is what customers should be doing.
kavok, cmd320, Yellowjj and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion, AS MVP, F9 Elite 20K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
UA, WN and B6 have all transitioned back to regular boarding with no issue (I’m not sure AA ever adopted a different boarding system). If DL wanted to do it, there is really no excuse at this point.
AS is back to regular boarding groups as well.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I flew yesterday from LAX-JFK on a 767. They actually called out C+ as being allowed to board at their leisure, just like Delta One and DM. So I boarded right after the pre-boards with no issue (I sat in C+).

The plane was so full that the idea that boarding order affected Covid transmission seems kind of silly. We all ended up spending 5 hours in the tube packed together. And waiting in line for the lav only added to the "coziness."
Old May 6, 2021, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Four flights this week.

1 of 4 skipped F/DM, but then announced could board at leisure after the line has started to form.
2 called for F/DM and the went to the back to front.
1 called for all SkyPriority and then went back to front.

Also, no more announcements about deplaning and leaving space. That appears to have stopped. 3 of my 4 flights were nearly full.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Flew 3 segments last week in F and all called for pre-boards, followed by DM/F, then back to front. I believe one segment did call military in between pre-boards and DM/F. Have 3 segments coming up tomorrow in F.

My next trip won't be until later this summer currently in a mixture of Y and C+ UGs... I am hoping regular boarding is back by then so that SKY returns.
Old May 17, 2021, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So when is DL going to stop this absurd boarding by rows from the back and go back to zones and actually giving benefits to skypriority, credit card holders and comfort+ pax?

Recently flight saw the GA refusing GM and PM skypriority status pax in C+ and making them wait until at the end when their rows were called... by which point the bins were full despite the GA announcing that they would 'reserve' bins for pax in comfort+
Old May 17, 2021, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
So when is DL going to stop this absurd boarding by rows from the back and go back to zones and actually giving benefits to skypriority, credit card holders and comfort+ pax?

Recently flight saw the GA refusing GM and PM skypriority status pax in C+ and making them wait until at the end when their rows were called... by which point the bins were full despite the GA announcing that they would 'reserve' bins for pax in comfort+
Yeah, this is completely untrue. I was in F last week on an Endeavor flight and the FA announced as people were coming aboard to just store bags in the first bin you find because the back was getting full. This was long before C+ was boarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.