Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta: Refund/Mileage Redeposit/Cancellation/Rebooking During COVID19

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Airlines are in a mad dash to grab as much cash as they can to survive the current crisis. I highly doubt they will EVER refund money for a cancelled flight. A voucher, sure. Extend the voucher? Perhaps. But a full refund? No way.
Got nearly $12,000 refunded for 12 people traveling, back to my credit card.
If flights are canceled, you can get a refund. If you are just changing your flight, they typically do the credit, but sometimes you can get a refund if you get the right agent.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dszrew
Got nearly $12,000 refunded for 12 people traveling, back to my credit card.
If flights are canceled, you can get a refund. If you are just changing your flight, they typically do the credit, but sometimes you can get a refund if you get the right agent.
I suppose I was too early with cancelling/changing flights. Next time, I will just wait for the inevitable cancellation by DL instead of being proactive. Clearly, being proactive doesn't pay off in the USA.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:46 pm

I have a trip in June booked for my wife and I. One ticket booked with miles and one ticket booked with cash.

Delta just changed the schedule to have a very long layover and also changed equipment so we were downgraded from F to E+ On one segment.

Am I eligible for a no fee mileage redeposit on the award booking and a refund on the cash booking? I cannot find terms anywhere and when I click on modify in either of the bookings it does not say what the cancelation options are. I would prefer not to call given that others are in more immediate need of customer service but I already know I do not want the trip.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
My travel for my company is still up in the air - no unnecessary travel but if the client requires it I go (all domestic). I only have one trip scheduled right now at the end of the month, when things may have settled down a bit. If it does go on longer one of my concerns are any ticket funds that are scheduled to expire - I have one in April. Normally it would be no problem using the funds, but if there is no travel I'd hate to lose them.

PP
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have some family members of mine that are currently in the U.K. right now and where scheduled to return back on 3/19 on DL59 (LHR-BOS) in D1. When the U.K. was added to the travel ban, I texted them to see if they were planing on coming back early and they said that since US citizens are exempted, they were planning on staying put for now. Well now that DL is only flying to LHR from ATL & JFK, it looks like that they are going to have to change and I told them to keep updating their app. They sent me a text this morning stating that they still haven’t been automatically re-booked yet and the only change visible in their reservation so far was an aircraft swap on DL59 from a 764 to a MD-88, although the seat map is showing an error message and they no longer have a seat assignment. Obviously the flight won’t be operating as scheduled, but how much longer should it take for the system to automatically re-book, especially for a flight this week? They are hoping that they don’t have to call and re-book if at all possible.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Any idea/experience on how long after a flight has been zeroed out does it officially get cancelled? Right now it shows sold out when you search it on the DL website - but is still active in our record..
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Schmoops
Any idea/experience on how long after a flight has been zeroed out does it officially get cancelled? Right now it shows sold out when you search it on the DL website - but is still active in our record..
Usually the changes happen on Saturday, and by the time everything percolates, the CX is reflected by Sunday or Monday AM at the latest. However, due to the ongoing situation and the unprecedented number of flight cancellations, there's some anecdotal evidence that some cancellations are taking over a week to filter through the system (i.e. the next weekend). If your flight is 2-3 weeks away or more, I wouldn't worry yet unless it's a very complex itinerary.
Schmoops likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:53 pm

Basic economy award cancellation online with miles redeposit?

I need to cancel DL domestic award basic economy tickets (event cancellation in April as expected). Delta sent an e-mail asking not to call if not travelling in the next 72 hrs, and I understand it and don't want to make it worse for folks trying to get home or deal with flights that just got cancelled.

I have seen people saying calling got them miles refund back on basic economy tickets. My question is whether it can be done online with mileage refund or the system is not programmed for this yet. I don't want to cancel online only to have to call later anyway.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nyurka
I need to cancel DL domestic award basic economy tickets (event cancellation in April as expected). Delta sent an e-mail asking not to call if not travelling in the next 72 hrs, and I understand it and don't want to make it worse for folks trying to get home or deal with flights that just got cancelled.

I have seen people saying calling got them miles refund back on basic economy tickets. My question is whether it can be done online with mileage refund or the system is not programmed for this yet. I don't want to cancel online only to have to call later anyway.
I just cancelled a basic economy award ticket online not even ten minutes ago. It was issued originally in early March. No problems whatsoever and miles are back in my account.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
We had a schedule change happen for a flight to Europe in June that result in a 14 minute connection. I can't change the itin online, so I called really only to check on the wait time... i was quoted 5 minutes for a call back?? I didn't have alternative routings ready yet so hung up, but was a bit shocked. Anyone else experience wait times starting to decrease? I was quoted 5 hours on Wednesday when calling for something else (before the EU restrictions were announced).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You have plenty of time. Your flight is not for five days. If you want to call, just put your phone on speaker + mute and multitask.
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth
I just cancelled a basic economy award ticket online not even ten minutes ago. It was issued originally in early March. No problems whatsoever and miles are back in my account.
Thank you. Was able to do the same and miles are now back in my account.

Last edited by Nyurka; Mar 15, 2020 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Nyurka
Mine shows a message that it cannot be cancelled online and need to call. At this point I will wait a bit to do so.
Was it issued prior to March 1? I couldn’t cancel on the app but the desktop site worked fine.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth
Was it issued prior to March 1? I couldn’t cancel on the app but the desktop site worked fine.
Corrected my response. Yes, the ticket was issued prior to March 1. No glitches after I logged in, everything goes smoothly and you see the refund clearly before you hit cancel. Miles have already been returned to my account.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Often1
You have plenty of time. Your flight is not for five days. If you want to call, just put your phone on speaker + mute and multitask.
With the update just emailed, if you don't take your flight, a full credit will automatically be given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.