Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:38 pm

Derrr

Yes you still need to make the 15k mqd but the 110k you are 50k mqms. And then only 75k MQMs so upgrade 50% and only flying 50k.

Bottom line. Either you have the money to do it or you just wine on flyer talk when you shouldn't be here complaing. Spend what it takes and stop whining about us who actually do it .
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ewsmith
Either you have the money to do it or you just wine on flyer talk
FlyerTalk has wine?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:51 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
FlyerTalk has wine?
THAT would be a huge hit!!!

LOTS of the other kind.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has to be someone's second FT name, right?
Seabilly likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sure it's a dumb plan if your poor. If you want DM it costs, that's the whole point. If you don't have the money or travel miles to get it then quit crying delta is making it so hard. The reason it's delta's 2nd highest tier is because you need money to achieve it.

Get a second job and stop crying.
Shh! The highest tier is a secret. Delta doesn't talk publicly about anything above Diamond.

However, spending $250,000 on a CC is not a dumb plan for the poor. It is the only way that the poor will be able to reach DM status. It is a dumb plan for the middle class. They would be far better off flying Biz One/FC on paid fares. Even if they don't reach DM they would get almost all of the benefits each time they flew. Of course, those of us who are a bit more fortunate either have their own jets or else use Delta Private Jets. Personally, I prefer the latter as I no longer have to keep a flight crew on salary 365 days a year. It also saves me the trouble of driving 3 hours from my home to TLV. I can board my Delta Private Jet at RPN, which is only about 25 minutes away. It also affords me the opportunity to land at smaller, less congested, airports which are usually closer to the city center (think of Orly in Paris, Linate in Milan, and TEB in (or at least for) New York City.

Obviously, you won't be able to afford this just by getting "a second job and stop crying". Just do what I did about 40 years ago -- invest a few hundred million dollars in good stocks that pay regular, and high, dividends. Between those dividends and my Social Security, I have no problem in paying for the Delta Private Jets. The only drawback is that if I have to fly last minute, they are sometimes unable to provide a plane in time. However, by having my Private Jet subscription I automatically get that secret highest tier so Delta guarantees me a Biz One seat, even if it means making someone else get off the flight. The downside is that I do have to mix with the hoi polloi on the plane and be somewhat courteous to them but, as they say, "noblesse oblige".
josephstern and gooselee like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:48 pm

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
FlyerTalk has wine?
Yes, but you don't get it as a PDB.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dovster
Shh! The highest tier is a secret. Delta doesn't talk publicly about anything above Diamond...
Actually, they do mention 360 as an "invitation only program for top tier DMs" on their website: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ion-miler.html
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If you are buying economy class fares and really want to remain diamond have you thought about buying first class fares? That will help you get more MQDS, plus you will get the bonus MQM's and not have to play the upgrade game and will have more flexibility with SDC if you want on another flight
I found a $4300 Delta One fare from JFK-ICN last week, which will earn me 4,200 MQDs, so I’m all set now. Luckily, the fare aligned with the dates I was planning to take my family to Korea for vacation anyway.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
The increase in waiver just cost Delta a little money from me. (I realize they won't notice, though)

My brother in Atlanta is having surgery next month and I am planning to flying to help and support him. Looed at fares on Google Flights (as I always do first) and saw FC on the AA nonstops are about $500 less than DL. I'll have way more than enough MQMs to requal as PM and since I'm a waiver baby I don't need MQDs so I'm trying out the DAArk Side for the first time in 15 years.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Sure it's a dumb plan if your poor. If you want DM it costs, that's the whole point. If you don't have the money or travel miles to get it then quit crying delta is making it so hard. The reason it's delta's 2nd highest tier is because you need money to achieve it.

Get a second job and stop crying.
To make an airplane analogy, the point I was making was already at 30k feet but it seems that some of us were still waiting for takeoff.

Also, I would like to try some of this FT wine everyone's talking about.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
This has to be someone's second FT name, right?
I am thinking the same thing....
Seabilly likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
I'm working on DM this year (2018). There's no way I'd be in a position to get the waiver at $250K, and would prefer not to spend an actual $15K to meet the MQD. Instead, I'm looking at discounted business on partner flights (just booked AF in Z from IAD to SIN) and Delta Vacations. In both cases, the MQD are a good value relative to the spend.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by DCAhome
I'm working on DM this year (2018). There's no way I'd be in a position to get the waiver at $250K, and would prefer not to spend an actual $15K to meet the MQD. Instead, I'm looking at discounted business on partner flights (just booked AF in Z from IAD to SIN) and Delta Vacations. In both cases, the MQD are a good value relative to the spend.
Quite agree! When I fly on MU from SFO>PVG>HKG>PVG>HKG in Business Class, booked in I, I get way more MQDs than I would if I flew on DL via SEA, and for less than half the price! Brilliant!
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
The increase in waiver just cost Delta a little money from me. (I realize they won't notice, though).
I am a Diamond and walked away from DL and I'm sure they haven't noticed my absence either. I was traveling to Europe 1-2 times per month last year, plus other Delta/ST travel and spent only $33K (not a big spender) and another $70K on the card. I stopped flying DL in August after this increase was announced and I flew booked travel. I have been Diamond every year and Doubled Diamonded three times and I have moved my business to AA, now flying weekly in the US. Though the grass isn't greener, AA has granted me EX PLAT and I get upgrades quite often. I still have 456K MQMs banked and over 1MM SMs, I sit at <60K from 2MM, so I'll be PLAT until my MQMs run out and will hit 2MM sometime next year with AMEX boost if I choose to keep the card. (I know, why keep the card?,... still will keep me at PLAT in 2019 and beyond if and when I decide to fly DL again)
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
I am a Diamond and walked away from DL and I'm sure they haven't noticed my absence either. I was traveling to Europe 1-2 times per month last year, plus other Delta/ST travel and spent only $33K (not a big spender) and another $70K on the card. I stopped flying DL in August after this increase was announced and I flew booked travel. I have been Diamond every year and Doubled Diamonded three times and I have moved my business to AA, now flying weekly in the US. Though the grass isn't greener, AA has granted me EX PLAT and I get upgrades quite often. I still have 456K MQMs banked and over 1MM SMs, I sit at <60K from 2MM, so I'll be PLAT until my MQMs run out and will hit 2MM sometime next year with AMEX boost if I choose to keep the card. (I know, why keep the card?,... still will keep me at PLAT in 2019 and beyond if and when I decide to fly DL again)
If you spend $33k on air tickets you don't need to worry about the waiver...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.