Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by marcworld
Meanwhile some cranky FT poster is off in the corner making a Nelson Muntz "ha ha!" while I get demoted and booted out of my seat?
By the way, not everyone questioning the wisdom of this move is some cranky FT poster. I'm not losing any sleep over it. Now that Delta has realigned its program, I'll move $150K of my $200K in annual spend to other credit cards where the rewards will be more valuable to me. I'll still be Platinum, but will be more likely to buy a cheaper fare or better flight schedule from another carrier in the future. The perks will no longer be worth it (to me) to pay the up charge incurred to fly Delta on many occasions. In short, the change will decrease the profit Delta receives from me, but not because I'm bitter or offended. The incentives changed, and like any rational businessperson, I adjust my behavior to stay aligned with what's best for me. Whether Delta demoting me will lead to increased profits overall, despite decreased profits from me, remains to be seen.

So why do I bother weigh in? I used to work for Delta, I flew frequently before and still do now after my tenure with the Company, I still have friends who work there, and thus, I am interested in the industry's business issues.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
China Air is part of SkyTeam, I've received MQMs and MQDs from their flights. Perhaps you're thinking of EVA Air? They are the only other airline (to my knowledge) that flies JFK-TPE, and they are, in fact, Star Alliance.
I know: China Air, based in Taiwan, is a member of SkyTeam.

The post I quoted said Air China, not China Air. In fact, knowing that Air China is based in mainland China, I specified that going from JFK to TPE would have connections at PEK or PVG.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know: China Air, based in Taiwan, is a member of SkyTeam.

The post I quoted said Air China, not China Air. In fact, knowing that Air China is based in mainland China, I specified that going from JFK to TPE would have connections at PEK or PVG.
Even better, China Air has historically been a DL partner via SkyTeam.

Air China is now a member of *A, but IIRC was previously a partner of NW before NW joined SkyTeam.

Then there's China Eastern (and subsidiary Shanghai Airlines), China Southern, China United, and Grand China Air....it gets pretty fun keeping track of them all.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by gooselee

Air China is now a member of *A, but IIRC was previously a partner of NW before NW joined SkyTeam.

Then there's China Eastern (and subsidiary Shanghai Airlines), China Southern, China United, and Grand China Air....it gets pretty fun keeping track of them all.
Never heard of China United and Grand China Air.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 6:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee

As I'm sure you know, China Southern (CZ) and China Eastern (MU) are Sky Team members, with MU having a somewhat closer partnership with DL.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta
I know that some consulting firms have agreements with Delta that give their employees different criteria for hitting status tiers, particularly Platinum. It’s laughable how easy it is for some of them to hit it.
Renes Points likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by JB1000
I know that some consulting firms have agreements with Delta that give their employees different criteria for hitting status tiers, particularly Platinum. It’s laughable how easy it is for some of them to hit it.
There are also customized status matches (not challenges) at some corporations with lots of employee travel.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you are really flying Air China (CA) JFK-PEK/PVG-TPE, you should *not* be receiving any MQMs, MQDs, MQSs, or DL RDMs. The mainland Chinese airline Air China belongs to *A, not SkyTeam.
You're right. I meant China Air. They have a direct JFK-TPE flight and J usually cost around $6k. Of which, I only earn 25% MQDs and 100% MQMs.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by DP-340
100% with you
After much consideration, I'll probably cancel the AMEX DL Reserve since the key benefits aren't very useful to a < $250K DM.

They'll lose my credit card revenue, gain a little bit of MQD next year (I hit around $12K in 2017), but lose any travel for the rest of 2016 (why spend money this year when I need the MQD for next year?)

How many people are having luck complaining to AMEX and getting the ($400?) statement credits?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
I'm late to the party but man does this rub me the wrong way. I switched all of my spending over to my Delta AMEX, primarily to get this waiver. I have over $50k in spend this year but apparently that's not something Delta cares about. Well that's $50k in spend I'll be taking to another card with better rewards next year.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
I'm late to the party but man does this rub me the wrong way. I switched all of my spending over to my Delta AMEX, primarily to get this waiver. I have over $50k in spend this year but apparently that's not something Delta cares about. Well that's $50k in spend I'll be taking to another card with better rewards next year.
Why did you switch more than $25k over to the Delta Amex?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Why did you switch more than $25k over to the Delta Amex?
Mostly laziness, a lot of my spend is for work so it's easier for me to keep track of all of the expenses I have to report if it's on one card. So I tend to use one card for all of my work expenses and then by habit tend to reach for it without thinking at home as well.
Saj8986 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AKABrownBear
Mostly laziness, a lot of my spend is for work so it's easier for me to keep track of all of the expenses I have to report if it's on one card. So I tend to use one card for all of my work expenses and then by habit tend to reach for it without thinking at home as well.
Am I missing something? We get the second 10K bonus MQM at $50K spend.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by PirateJeff
After much consideration, I'll probably cancel the AMEX DL Reserve since the key benefits aren't very useful to a < $250K DM.

They'll lose my credit card revenue, gain a little bit of MQD next year (I hit around $12K in 2017), but lose any travel for the rest of 2016 (why spend money this year when I need the MQD for next year?)

How many people are having luck complaining to AMEX and getting the ($400?) statement credits?
I have slowly been escalating the issue at AMEX. They seem very aware and well scripted as you move up the chain. Waiting for the next level to call me back. As they purchase a lot of DL miles they hate hearing that you are considering moving your business to AA or UA.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by DP-340
I have slowly been escalating the issue at AMEX. They seem very aware and well scripted as you move up the chain. Waiting for the next level to call me back. As they purchase a lot of DL miles they hate hearing that you are considering moving your business to AA or UA.
I'm sure DP-340 is calling Amex because he thinks they value his business more than Delta does. He'd be right!

I'm pretty sure raising the waiver was Delta's decision, not Amex's. A low waiver means more happy cardholders. I bet the reason that Delta raised the Diamond waiver to $250,000 instead of just eliminating it completely is that they were contractually required by Amex to keep it in some form -- even a ridiculous one.

Here is my household's planned airline travel will change:
Previously, wife and me both hold Amex Delta Platinum cards. She's plat with 75k MQM's and I'm Diamond with 150k MQM's

Next year, wife cancels her Amex card. I keep mine (need it for business anyway), and double up spending to 50k for two 10k MQM bonus. I fly 30k MQM's (mostly SAN-SEA) for easy Plat status (30k flying + 20k Amex + 25k rollover). Wife mostly stops flying Delta for no status at all.

It is the rational decision. The asian carriers want to sell me cheap biz class fares for transpacific travel and United wants to sell me cheap basic economy for domestic. Both are a superior value proposition to Delta.

I got a call back from a Delta customer service rep in Atlanta this week in response to my complaint about the new $250,000 waiver. It was polite and perfunctory -- and clearly makes zero difference to Delta's decision calculus. They don't give a rip and neither do I anymore.

Last edited by Bowgie; Oct 27, 2017 at 11:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.