Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
If you spend $33k on air tickets you don't need to worry about the waiver...
That’s not entirely true. The waiver adds significant value to rollover MQMs that you have banked.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
If you spend $33k on air tickets you don't need to worry about the waiver...
Originally Posted by acrophobia

That’s not entirely true. The waiver adds significant value to rollover MQMs that you have banked.
Plus the fact that in one is abandoning the Delta Reserve card this could mean less upgrades from holding card in addition to the 25k spend upgrade tie-breaker as well. Just spending MQD is not as rewarded as Amex spend with Delta (unless you make Delta360 clearly).

I know many don't like this but those are the rules.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 6:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Beyond hitting the $15k spend??? How?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pvn
Maybe the OP means for a tie breaker for an upgrade? Is Delta still using $25K in Am Ex spend a tie breaker factor for diamonds or is it now $250K to be in line with the new waiver requirements? But I think it would be extremely rare that someone would get an upgrade they normally wouldn't for having $25k in Am Ex spend. If someone has a Plat Am Ex and has $25K in spend they'll also have the 10K MQM boost which can nice to roll over but if someone is putting over $30K in spend in on tickets they are probably easily meeting the 125K MQM requirement anyway
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that "significant value"?

I'm definitely interested to hear here. Renee? Acrophobia? Can you guys enlighten us?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by josephstern
Is that "significant value"?

I'm definitely interested to hear here. Renee? Acrophobia? Can you guys enlighten us?
I don't consider it significant value as far as the tie breaker goes. Not sure how it adds any value to the MQM rollover unless someone is using an Am Ex that gives MQMs and won't be able to make diamond that next year and the MQM rollover will help them keep Platinum.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Originally Posted by pvn
The value of rollover MQMs is to smooth out any "down years" you might have in your travel patterns. With the waiver at $250,000 vs $25,000, the MQM rollover is now only useful for maintaining platinum in down years, rather than diamond. For me, that is a significant step down in the value of the rollover MQMs. I wasn't too impressed with my brief stint as a platinum, personally.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Maybe the OP means for a tie breaker for an upgrade? Is Delta still using $25K in Am Ex spend a tie breaker factor for diamonds or is it now $250K to be in line with the new waiver requirements? But I think it would be extremely rare that someone would get an upgrade they normally wouldn't for having $25k in Am Ex spend. If someone has a Plat Am Ex and has $25K in spend they'll also have the 10K MQM boost which can nice to roll over but if someone is putting over $30K in spend in on tickets they are probably easily meeting the 125K MQM requirement anyway
25k spend across any and all DL AX cards where you are the primary is still the number for one of the list of tie-breakers for upgrades

Originally Posted by josephstern
Is that "significant value"? I'm definitely interested to hear here. René? Acrophobia? Can you guys enlighten us?
You tell me - depending on the number of segments you fly per year - what are 1, 2 or more upgrades vs. missed upgrades worth to you. That is a personal valuation.

For me I will still knock out 30k this year on my Reserve card to have the best shot at upgrades. My upgrade percentage this year (24 segments with a shot ie no CRJ200s etc) as a Diamond is ~60% and that is WAY down from last year that was north of 80%.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
The value of rollover MQMs is to smooth out any "down years" you might have in your travel patterns. With the waiver at $250,000 vs $25,000, the MQM rollover is now only useful for maintaining platinum in down years, rather than diamond. For me, that is a significant step down in the value of the rollover MQMs. I wasn't too impressed with my brief stint as a platinum, personally.
If you're having a down year, doesn't it in some ways make sense to save the extra 50k MQM in your rollover "bank" and endure less travel at PM?

DM is of course better, but in general I'd think if there's any year you want to have lower status, it's the year you're travelling less.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The value of rollover MQMs is to smooth out any "down years" you might have in your travel patterns.
You're talking about something that is completely inapplicable to the poster in question. He was spending $33k until he decided to stop flying DL because of the waiver (that he didn't need), and he apparently wants to keep platinum instead of diamond for now while he's dormant (his rollover will last significantly longer at platinum than at diamond).

In this case, having a different diamond waiver actually helps him, since he can hit the platinum waiver without activating diamond.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are many people going for the $250K waiver? I wonder if Delta will eliminate the waiver altogether next year if a lot of people still qualify. I'm hoping Am Ex will have a lot of 2018 diamonds cancelling their account or cutting back their previous $60K to $220K a year spend to $25K so they can put some pressure on Delta to reduce it to a reasonable amount of like $100K in spend.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I can't imagine many going for the waiver unless it is a small business and they were already spending more than that on the card previously.
There are much better rewards cards than getting what amounts to 1% back in the form of skymiles.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: DL DM PM

Sorry, you've lost me.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
I can't imagine many going for the waiver unless it is a small business and they were already spending more than that on the card previously.
There are much better rewards cards than getting what amounts to 1% back in the form of skymiles.
Fixed that for you.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
If someone has both a business and personal reserve and platinum and they go for the max mqm spends like I have done in the past it requires 220K in spend so this is only requiring an additional $30K in spend but Delta has slashed the value of skymiles so much it doesn't seem worth it. That would amount to 350,000 total skymiles if someone receives the boost from both cards (250K in spend and the 100K in mileage boosts). If there was inventory available on the routes I wanted for GUC it could be worth it's hard to find international flights that a GUC will clear on and last year I sat in coach on a couple flights I had RUC's waitlisted on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.