Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:57 am
  #1576  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Posts: 15,386
Originally Posted by Ewsmith
I don't think the metal plat gives mqms. I use it to get 5x points I can transfer to virtually any airline. And yes I know the reserve is not that big of a deal but it does give you 30mqms year if your spending the money anyway. All I am saying is that making the DM spend waiver 250k and the MQD for DM to 15k is a very smart thing for delta to do b/c it forces folks to get the mqms and mqds if they want DM. Why, b/c there are way too many DMs that got their status spending only 25k on the reserve card. However, in 2019 the number of DMs should go way down and thus DMs will get upgraded much easier.

To the question of how does booking early or having the reserve card help with upgrades? Read how delta ranks upgrade priority and then watch your fare class closely. It's really not that hard to get to DM.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-upgrades.html
The date of request ranks lowest on how upgrades are given out. If I'm booking a ticket six months out on my own dime I'm going with the cheapest fare class available. Any higher fare classes booked at t-6 days will trump me booking a lower fare at 300 days out. If I'm on my own dime I'm sure as hell not going to book a Y fare if a V fare is available for a better chances at an upgrade that may never happen. If I'm going to waste the money on a higher fare class for an upgrade that isn't guaranteed I'm going to just book a first class ticket and be done with it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
jamesteroh is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:59 am
  #1577  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Posts: 15,386
Originally Posted by pvn
yall postin in a troll thread, yall.
I noticed the poster only has six posts and looks like it's only in this thread Also noticed he has a problem typing so wonder if it's someone that had too much booze at the skyclub and is deciding to have some fun.

Or maybe Lizbeth is back That writing style is like hers
jamesteroh is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:11 am
  #1578  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 8
I got on the thread b/c I was researching something and this thread popped up and I found it interesting that others don't find these changes for DM to be positive. Wouldn't you rather be a DM with 50% less DMs next year? I do. Same thing with limiting skyclub access next year. Wouldn't all you business travelers like to see a 50% reduction in skyclub attendance?

As for the fare class to choose, that's the tricky part and I've played with many different iterations of what fare class works the best. And frankly, it seems to be almost segment specific and I have tried to locate just how they calculate the upgrades on deltas website but to no avail. As well, the agents play as though they know nothing as well. A few weeks ago I was going DEN-DTW (extremely hard to get upgrades) with 40 people behind my wife and I trying to upgrade and we got it right away. I'll go back and look at that fare code and let you know. But as I mentioned, it seems to change by the lane segment.

As for typing....I was on a phone with big fingers so sorry for the typos.
Ewsmith is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:39 am
  #1579  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: HSV
Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by pvn
Why are you putting that much on the reserve card??? It sounds like you don't need the waiver, so after you hit the 2nd milesboost at 60k you should move that spend to another card.
Honestly, because Im lazy. I memorize one card and use it for everything. Im content with getting the pittance of Pesos they vomit forth upon me. I usually get >200K MQMs already the old fashioned way, so its not a priority.

My business partner is even more pathetic. Neither of us are very good at maximizing our travel value.
TheHorta is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:57 am
  #1580  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,730
Originally Posted by Ewsmith
I got on the thread b/c I was researching something and this thread popped up and I found it interesting that others don't find these changes for DM to be positive. Wouldn't you rather be a DM with 50% less DMs next year? I do. Same thing with limiting skyclub access next year. Wouldn't all you business travelers like to see a 50% reduction in skyclub attendance?

As for the fare class to choose, that's the tricky part and I've played with many different iterations of what fare class works the best. And frankly, it seems to be almost segment specific and I have tried to locate just how they calculate the upgrades on deltas website but to no avail. As well, the agents play as though they know nothing as well. A few weeks ago I was going DEN-DTW (extremely hard to get upgrades) with 40 people behind my wife and I trying to upgrade and we got it right away. I'll go back and look at that fare code and let you know. But as I mentioned, it seems to change by the lane segment.

As for typing....I was on a phone with big fingers so sorry for the typos.
You said you fly every week and get upgraded every time. What was your example last week or the week before? What about this week?

Please do let us know about those fare classes for that trip as well as perhaps a few of your upcoming ones that were booked 10 months ago. I'm truly curious to know what you're paying up to when you book that far out that would trump other, late-booking DMs on a route in and out of a hub like DTW.
jamesteroh likes this.
gooselee is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:15 am
  #1581  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 9,904
Originally Posted by TheHorta


Honestly, because Im lazy. I memorize one card and use it for everything. Im content with getting the pittance of Pesos they vomit forth upon me. I usually get >200K MQMs already the old fashioned way, so its not a priority.

My business partner is even more pathetic. Neither of us are very good at maximizing our travel value.
Without diverting the discussion too much, you really should consider just a 2% cashback card to make it simple and be done with the Delta card.
TheHorta likes this.
josephstern is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:28 am
  #1582  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Posts: 15,386
Originally Posted by gooselee
You said you fly every week and get upgraded every time. What was your example last week or the week before? What about this week?

Please do let us know about those fare classes for that trip as well as perhaps a few of your upcoming ones that were booked 10 months ago. I'm truly curious to know what you're paying up to when you book that far out that would trump other, late-booking DMs on a route in and out of a hub like DTW.
Obviously this poster isn't flying DTW/LAX or SFO on cheap fares seeing I've missed a couple upgrades on higher fares being waitlisted on RUC's. Last time I flew LAX/DTW home in the afternoon I was on an S fare and was number 4 for two seats waited listed on an RUC at t-24 checking and end up being 4 for zero at the gate (I think some people SDC;d). Seeing there are many reports of RUC's not clearing it would be impossible for him to clear on those routes with an instrument. Unless he is flying some route like DTW/ORD but if that's the case he wouldn't be getting nearly enough MQMs or MQD to qualify for diamond.

As far as the skyclub goes, I don't see the changes having any bearing on the overcrowding. Most diamonds already have an Am Ex that gets them in anyway and if someone choses the diamond choice to bring in guests it will only get worse. If someone is flying enough to be diamond and doesn't have another means to enter the skyclub and are hub based they are going to chose the skyclub membership.
MSPeconomist likes this.
jamesteroh is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:55 am
  #1583  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 8
Delta changed the SC access starting in 1/19 making it more difficult to get in as you know, so this should reduce the numbers. If only they would do what amex did in nov with the centurion lounges. To answer your question, last week was to DFW on a full fare 1st, tomorrow will be to DEN on an SU fare, so I will let you know tomorrow how that goes b/c in general this is a route that has a lot of business DM going home on Friday. Sunday will also be an SU fare so I let you know as well.

I have been trying to figure deltas fare class game and how the system upgrades based on fare codes. And yes, I know it's last in the list for priority but it does matter and no one at delta seems to know how exactly....or they just wont say.
Ewsmith is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:58 am
  #1584  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by Ewsmith
I have been trying to figure deltas fare class game and how the system upgrades based on fare codes. And yes, I know it's last in the list for priority but it does matter and no one at delta seems to know how exactly....or they just wont say.
lol

you figured out how to beat the system, but nobody else knows how it works.

OK, story checks out
josephstern and jamesteroh like this.
pvn is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:00 am
  #1585  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 100,164
Originally Posted by Ewsmith
Delta changed the SC access starting in 1/19 making it more difficult to get in as you know, so this should reduce the numbers. If only they would do what amex did in nov with the centurion lounges. To answer your question, last week was to DFW on a full fare 1st, tomorrow will be to DEN on an SU fare, so I will let you know tomorrow how that goes b/c in general this is a route that has a lot of business DM going home on Friday. Sunday will also be an SU fare so I let you know as well.

I have been trying to figure deltas fare class game and how the system upgrades based on fare codes. And yes, I know it's last in the list for priority but it does matter and no one at delta seems to know how exactly....or they just wont say.
OK, I'll bite: What's a SU fare?
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:09 am
  #1586  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Upper Sternistan
Posts: 9,904
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OK, I'll bite: What's a SU fare?
Upgrade to C+ from U.
josephstern is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:14 am
  #1587  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OK, I'll bite: What's a SU fare?
It isn't a fare, it is what shows when you are upgraded to Comfort +
BusTrav8yrs is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:15 am
  #1588  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CT
Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by josephstern
Upgrade to C+ from U.
No, any coach fare, just like RU is upgrade to F, not an Upgrade to F from a U fare.
BusTrav8yrs is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:09 pm
  #1589  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: HSV
Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Posts: 1,493
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
No, any coach fare, just like RU is upgrade to F, not an Upgrade to F from a U fare.
Ahhh... the coveted FU fare. I feel like I Delta gives me FU far more often than I deserve.
CKDGM and NotHamSarnie like this.
TheHorta is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:16 pm
  #1590  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,730
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
No, any coach fare, just like RU is upgrade to F, not an Upgrade to F from a U fare.
+1. Still waiting to hear what fare was actually purchased. This can be viewed by looking at the receipt for the trip on DL.com.

Originally Posted by TheHorta
Ahhh... the coveted FU fare. I feel like I Delta gives me FU far more often than I deserve.
LOL ^^
gooselee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.