Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If someone has both a business and personal reserve and platinum and they go for the max mqm spends like I have done in the past it requires 220K in spend so this is only requiring an additional $30K in spend but Delta has slashed the value of skymiles so much it doesn't seem worth it. That would amount to 350,000 total skymiles if someone receives the boost from both cards (250K in spend and the 100K in mileage boosts). If there was inventory available on the routes I wanted for GUC it could be worth it's hard to find international flights that a GUC will clear on and last year I sat in coach on a couple flights I had RUC's waitlisted on.
This is what I have done for the last 3-4 years. Pushed through $220k on the cards to get to diamond. I am giving up and just look to hit platinum so my Skymiles flights are refundable. At the end of the day, that is the only perk I can't live without.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
.....and he can max out on MQMs from AmEx so as to keep his rollover as high as possible for future years.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:57 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kaw753
I am giving up and just look to hit platinum so my Skymiles flights are refundable. At the end of the day, that is the only perk I can't live without.
Ditto here on the Platinum, but, the one perk I'm REALLLLLLLLY gonna miss, is, PREM boarding. So, I was thinking . . . . It doesn't cost DL anything, so, maybe, they could do some sort of a consolation prize . . . like . . . .

Gate Agent announcement: Good afternoon. Welcome to flight 1234 to Atlanta. We are currently welcoming our PREMium zone passengers, which includes . . .

First Class passengers, Diamond Medallions, and "Platinums who were Diamond" before the Amex waiver was JACKED UP!!!

Seabilly likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Ditto here on the Platinum, but, the one perk I'm REALLLLLLLLY gonna miss, is, PREM boarding. So, I was thinking . . . . It doesn't cost DL anything, so, maybe, they could do some sort of a consolation prize . . . like . . . .

Gate Agent announcement: Good afternoon. Welcome to flight 1234 to Atlanta. We are currently welcoming our PREMium zone passengers, which includes . . .

First Class passengers, Diamond Medallions, and "Platinums who were Diamond" before the Amex waiver was JACKED UP!!!

So you want DL to create an additional tier between PM and DM? And then give it some really awkward name that could serve to embarrass those elites who get the new label?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So you want DL to create an additional tier between PM and DM? And then give it some really awkward name that could serve to embarrass those elites who get the new label?
Well, not necessarily a new tier. It would still be Platinum, with an extra perk or 2.

So, it could be called - -

Platinum +

or

SuperPlatinum???

Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would just go with DavePlatinum.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Are many people going for the $250K waiver? .......
Not a few of us spend the money anyway. Sadly, we’ll put >$500K on our AMEX Reserve *and* well eclipse the $15K MQD requirement by a factor of 2 or more, but we get nothing for it save the deluge of Sky Pesos they bestow upon we mere mortals. We won’t even get the mystical 360 phone call.

Tangent... met my first 360 fellow passenger minutes ago at RDU. He’s in his 2nd year and had the 360 brag tag, which sucked me in like a supermassive black hole.

I didn’t even know they had a 360 tag.

Dare to dream.

Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by josephstern
"If we Know Who You Are, you are welcome to board at this time"
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
^ I could live with that! ^

Originally Posted by Zorak
"If we Know Who You Are, you are welcome to board at this time"
Well, I don't know how catchy sounding - - Boarding "Zorak Medallions" would be.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
^ I could live with that! ^

Well, I don't know how catchy sounding - - Boarding "Zorak Medallions" would be.
Should Delta go off the current crypto-currency trend and go with “Bitcoin Medallion”? (And then it can be worthless in a short bit down the road).
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere

You could join the military. Active duty boards before PREM.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
You could join the military. Active duty boards before PREM.
Hmmmmmm . . . . I do remember seeing that posted here . . . . Do they actually check?!?

FYI: I'd NEVER do that!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Hmmmmmm . . . . I do remember seeing that posted here . . . . Do they actually check?!?

FYI: I'd NEVER do that!
They do check.

I figured that you could run a motor pool

Maybe the Porsche service for DL?

You could pre-board with the fake infirm.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:14 pm

Not hard to get DM

I don't know why all you think DM is so hard to get with the new requirements. Lemme break down how easy it is and you will see how it benefits delta and amex .

Get a delta reserve and plat delta amex card. Spend 110k combined on those cards and get 50k mqms. Now spend just 15k on an amex plat card only needing to earn 75k mqms and get 5x the points. Just fly from the USA to Japan once and SIN and you're covered as long as you fly domestic normal.

Last year flew the first delta a350 to NRT and back with a 1:50 layover to keep DM. This year going to SIN with a 5:45 layover .Why, to easily keep my DM .
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
The benefit I'll miss the most if I drop to PM will be the coterminal benefit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.