Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I had a couple large purchases last week that aren't showing up on the status bar but not too concerned. According to the T&C on Delta's site it is combined on all card:
Eligible Purchases will be combined across multiple Eligible Cards of the Basic Card Member if those Card accounts are linked to the same SkyMiles number. Eligible Cards are the following: Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles, Delta Reserve Credit Card, Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card from American Express.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
The T&C specifically says it combines card amounts

Eligible Purchases made by Additional Card Members on the Basic Card Member's Eligible Card will count toward the Eligible Purchase threshold. For purposes of calculating the Eligible Purchase threshold, Eligible Purchases will be combined across multiple Eligible Cards of the Basic Card Member if those Card accounts are linked to the same SkyMiles number

I will not be able to "test" this though as I dumped my second card when this new waiver was announced.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I had a couple large purchases last week that aren't showing up on the status bar but not too concerned. According to the T&C on Delta's site it is combined on all card:
Eligible Purchases will be combined across multiple Eligible Cards of the Basic Card Member if those Card accounts are linked to the same SkyMiles number. Eligible Cards are the following: Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles, Delta Reserve Credit Card, Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card, Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card from American Express.
Mine has a date for the last update. If your activity was after that date (mine is currently 3/11/18) it won't show.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by C6H0
I did not pay much attention to the new MQD waiver as I qualified as Diamond both ways last year. About three weeks ago, my estimated AMEX spend on my Skymiles account went from appoximately $45,000 down to $23,000. After two calls to Delta and two to AMEX, I was informed that the $250,000 waiver is only on one card and different cards are not combined as they are separate cardholder agreements. I had made the waiver last year by combining my personal and business AMEX. I will probable spend the $15,000 this year so shouldn't need the cc spend waiver. However, for future reference, is there any work around on this? Thanks.
Originally Posted by C6H0
Within 30 minutes of my post I received a private message from the SkyMilesTeam telling me I may have been misinformed and that they would research my account to see what had happened. I will post later as soon as I get an answer.
The shocking part is the number of times you got bad info and the number of reps.

I did DM Delta about your post.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs

I will not be able to "test" this though as I dumped my second card when this new waiver was announced.
While I haven't yet dumped my second card (Business Reserve), I haven't put any charges on it this year, and will get rid of it at renewal time. I've shifted my business expenses to my Business Marriott Visa.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I have both Reserve and Platinum. Charges to both are reflected in my Delta MQD waiver total -- a little over $140K thusfar in 2018.

It doesn't matter regarding the waiver, as I'm about at the $15K MQD for 2018 now, and should surpass that in a few weeks. But for a data point, if others are being told you can't accrue waiver dollars from multiple cards.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
I've spent $112K on my Delta cards this year, but I'm stopping. I won't reach $250K without trying to do manufactured spending, which I don't have the time to do. This change has already cost Delta several flights so far this year that I've booked on American instead. For years, I flew Delta exclusively, but not any more. My MQM spending will drop from around $12K to around $8K to $9K, at least.

What has everyone else done? Found ways to spend more on the cards, stuck with Delta despite only being able to reach Platinum, or moved some or your flights elsewhere like I've done?
JesseRohr likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
the waiver change is a good reason to dump a credit card. but not a good enough reason to dump Delta, i don't think. luckily I have a shot at making Diamond again through MQDs, already hit platinum through real MQDs / without the waiver, and my Delta amex has gone mostly unused all year. Will probably cancel it, unless Amex entices me to keep it. (they often have generous retention offers which can offset the annual fee.)
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I've spent $112K on my Delta cards this year, but I'm stopping. I won't reach $250K without trying to do manufactured spending, which I don't have the time to do. This change has already cost Delta several flights so far this year that I've booked on American instead. For years, I flew Delta exclusively, but not any more. My MQM spending will drop from around $12K to around $8K to $9K, at least.

What has everyone else done? Found ways to spend more on the cards, stuck with Delta despite only being able to reach Platinum, or moved some or your flights elsewhere like I've done?
Paying taxes on Delta cards, paying other bills via services that let you put those on credit cards, up to about $150K so far and on track to hit the $250K right in December.

This is "manufactured" in some sense and isn't free. I will net out to 350K miles for about $4500 of cost, something like 1.3 cents / redeemable mile. Given they can't be worth less than 1 cent and can be worth 2, 3, 4 at times I find this tradeoff acceptable, even though it's somewhat revolting to have to do this. (Incidentally, my in-air miles will exceed 100K with current travel patterns; my MQDs will not remotely get close to $15K... had 25K rollover MQMs and, obviously, cards produce many more).

It would please me immeasurably if Delta changed things so you could get, say, $3000 MQDs for every $25K of spend on their cards. That seems really fair and would result in less of this nonsense going forward.

But given the cost is mostly paid for in RDMs, I'm OK with it as all the other Diamond perks are gravy, including $200 worth of voucher and 25K more SkyMiles, worth minimum $250.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I've changed nothing. I continue to book any non-ULCC (including WN) based on price/schedule/route, and I will use my DL card for everything except travel (airfare on Amex Plat; other travel on CSR) right up to $60k each year to collect some buffer MQM.

I easily hit DM MQDs every year since MQDs have been a thing, but this year will be the first that I also have the requisite MQMs. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have spent that much on my Reserve this year as I ordinarily would rather have PM+rollover vs. DM+less rollover, but whatever.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gooselee
I've changed nothing. I continue to book any non-ULCC (including WN) based on price/schedule/route, and I will use my DL card for everything except travel (airfare on Amex Plat; other travel on CSR) right up to $60k each year to collect some buffer MQM.

I easily hit DM MQDs every year since MQDs have been a thing, but this year will be the first that I also have the requisite MQMs. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have spent that much on my Reserve this year as I ordinarily would rather have PM+rollover vs. DM+less rollover, but whatever.
Obviously if you spend the necessary MQDs directly with Delta, the card spend issue is irrelevant. I was simply wondering what others who historically topped off from Plat to Diamond through the card waiver are doing now. There were many predictions that those who claimed we would cut back on Delta flights were bluffing. At least in my situation, that isn't true. I still fly Delta the most, but no longer as much as I used to. I've found American to be the better option for my flights to Texas and for my upcoming trip to Cabo. I'm no longer willing to take a substantially less convenient schedule, or a moderately more expensive flight, to stay on Delta.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm no longer willing to take a substantially less convenient schedule, or a moderately more expensive flight, to stay on Delta.
I think this decision is a good one, and the right one, and wish more people would make it.

Airlines are able to charge higher fares and devalue their loyalty programs specifically because they know people will pay more and go out of their way to stay "loyal" to one carrier.

Will I pick DL if all other factors are functionally equal? Of course. Will I pay $100 more and take an extra connection to go from MIA-ORD or something to stay on DL? Absolutely not, status be damned.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just like changing cell phone providers or insurance companies - the change is hard, so customers are sticky.

Also: bank accounts, home mortgages, investment accounts. Plenty more.

Companies know we don't want to make these changes, so they can nudge up their prices.

There are definitely large savings to be had if you comparison shop these kinds of things.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I confess guilt to not even looking at anything other than Delta. I will have accrued enough MQMs this year alone to guarantee DM through 2022, so I could easily fly multiple airlines that are likely more convenient and have better pricing, but it’s like I can’t bring myself to look.

Weird. Defies logic, but there you go.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheHorta
I confess guilt to not even looking at anything other than Delta. I will have accrued enough MQMs this year alone to guarantee DM through 2022, so I could easily fly multiple airlines that are likely more convenient and have better pricing, but it’s like I can’t bring myself to look.

Weird. Defies logic, but there you go.
Perhaps you just really appreciate their wine selections.
strickerj and TheHorta like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.