Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:37 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by pvn
Well, some portion of those DMs won't continue being DMs under this new system; I would guess they would disagree about how much of an impact this will have.
But the argument was that DMs have trouble getting upgraded today anyway. This would, presumably, weed out the lower fare DMs who are the least likely to get upgraded, so would not help OPs stated (if accurate) issue.
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:39 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by AdamNP
I hit the AA EXP 12k EQDs this year by spending less than $4k in real money. It's not hard.
(off-topic, I know) but wondering which AA partners you pulled this off with, because their %s, you are right, are not as high as some DL partners.
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:47 pm
  #108  
pvn
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MEM
Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Posts: 5,431
Originally Posted by ty97
But the argument was that DMs have trouble getting upgraded today anyway. This would, presumably, weed out the lower fare DMs who are the least likely to get upgraded, so would not help OPs stated (if accurate) issue.
This makes some weird implicit assumptions like people always fly the same fare class, which is pretty obviously not true.

The premise itself is pretty dumb, honestly, DMs get tons of upgrades still. People miss one upgrade and start complaining about the benefit being worthless.

I am almost 75% for the year on upgrade-eligible segments and I'm a PM based in a city that is notorious for a relatively large number of DMs and long upgrade lists.
pvn is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:56 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Posts: 496
I could live with a partial waiver...like...the spend threshold gets you $10k MQD credit or something.

But if they kill it completely, I'd be seriously tempted to jump ship to American. Which would be very sad, I'm almost at MM and adore Delta, but I'd be locked out of DM most years despite living in the airport. And aside from the GUCs the main perk is the extraordinary favors they do for me, constantly, on complicated ticketing and above and beyond SDC changes etc.

Being downgraded would suck extraordinary. BTW, I would also argue that DM is much more desirable and urgent for flyers like me whose employer will only pay coach.

If I could fly in paid D1...who needs perks? Such a person can surely just pay for everything anyway, most of the time. Club visits, change fees, whatever else.
flyerUSA is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:57 pm
  #110  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CVG
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by ty97
(off-topic, I know) but wondering which AA partners you pulled this off with, because their %s, you are right, are not as high as some DL partners.
Mostly CX PE, with a bit of QR J. BA also has regular PE deals that are very worthwhile. The best CX and BA PE fares are usually from Europe, particularly Scandinavia.
AdamNP is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:57 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by pvn
This makes some weird implicit assumptions like qupeople always fly the same fare class, which is pretty obviously not true.
Of course, but this is intended to weed out those who spend less on average than DL considers worthwhile which implies high fare flying is not an often occurrence. Assumptions? Based on logic, sure.

Originally Posted by pvn
The premise itself is pretty dumb, honestly, DMs get tons of upgrades still. People miss one upgrade and start complaining about the benefit being worthless.

I am almost 75% for the year on upgrade-eligible segments and I'm a PM based in a city that is notorious for a relatively large number of DMs and long upgrade lists.
That premise was not mine, I was responding to it (and taking issue with it)

I have done decently for myself as a PM as well this year. Not 75%, but I'm generally pleased.
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:49 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Programs: First and Last time ever DL DM
Posts: 62
If this goes through, guess I am only going to be DM for 2018 and that's it.

Flying from LAS to Japan, KE is looking better each and every day. 1 stop in ICN to multiple destinations vs the 2-3 stops AND a domestic connection I go through with DL.

DL was nice enough to offer Pay with Miles to offset the cost but I would rather pay what I was going to pay anyway to fly to Asia straight from my home airport.

I was going to dump my Reserve card if I made the switch to KE. I just might dump it regardless.
LAStotheWorld is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:49 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,870
I'm looking forward to having whole ROWS of FC to spread out in, once the exodus of everyone who is going to "take their business elsewhere" over this begins.

If I wasn't just a little bit lazy I would spend some time comparing the names of the folks who were leaving because of the May '16 C+ changes to the people who are leaving because of this change. It would be amusing to see if there was overlap.
CrazyEddie likes this.
Qwkynuf is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:56 pm
  #114  
IHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Posts: 5,481
Based on past announcements, how much warning will we get before the new year begins?

I ask because I am in the process of booking a trip to JNB in January and was going to fly on VS in PE for the credit to DL. I can also book PE on BA for the same price but wanted to try VS.
355F1 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:58 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Posts: 438
Originally Posted by AdamNP
Also... Delta needs to do something, because from all I've read, being DM is basically worthless as far as upgrades go. As an AA EXP, I am 29/31 on upgrades this year.
FWIW, I am CLT based and have a very high percentage of upgrades (90% or so). Mostly on LUTV fares as well. Typical flight schedule is CLT-ATL-Southeast US. Depart Tuesday AM and return Thursday PM.
youvesaiditall is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:24 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Posts: 449
I realize this is my third negative post in a row. But many of you are chasing something that won't exist in a few years. 80percent is the paid f goal. And by all accounts it looks like they will hit it. Yeah you may be diamond. But you probably will not get upgraded often. Things are changing. John Doe is going to take your upgrade for an extra 79 bucks. And he only flies once a year
micstatic is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:41 pm
  #117  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Look up - On a ✈ DELTA ✈ jet NOW!
Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Posts: 4,174
Unhappy

Originally Posted by micstatic
I realize this is my third negative post in a row. But many of you are chasing something that won't exist in a few years. 80percent is the paid f goal. And by all accounts it looks like they will hit it. Yeah you may be diamond. But you probably will not get upgraded often. Things are changing. John Doe is going to take your upgrade for an extra 79 bucks. And he only flies once a year
It pains me to say it: +1 - THIS!

Those who remain - those who are yelling "Thin the herd"

They will be the ones fighting for a C+ middle seat "upgrade"

While FO's will pay $79 to sit in one of the 20x2020 1st class seats!
Renes Points is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:51 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CVG
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by Renes Points
It pains me to say it: +1 - THIS!

Those who remain - those who are yelling "Thin the herd"

They will be the ones fighting for a C+ middle seat "upgrade"

While FO's will pay $79 to sit in one of the 20x2020 1st class seats!
I agree with you. I thought AA's elite program was far better than DL's before this, and now it is just more so. I matched DL because I have a Skyteam flight that will fulfill the challenge, so why not?

AA EXP upgrades are nearly constant, you can just select MCE, not wait for an "upgrade" to it, and OW Emerald gives you real and serious benefits, whereas ST Elite+, not so much. You can also use AA miles for longhaul J on partners for very reasonable amounts. I'm certainly not leaving AA anytime soon.

I just chimed in on this thread because I think it's actually a good move by Delta. Certainly terrible for AMEX though.
AdamNP is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:55 pm
  #119  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Posts: 4,406
Originally Posted by AdamNP
I agree with you. I thought AA's elite program was far better than DL's before this, and now it is just more so. I matched DL because I have a Skyteam flight that will fulfill the challenge, so why not?

AA EXP upgrades are nearly constant, you can just select MCE, not wait for an "upgrade" to it, and OW Emerald gives you real and serious benefits, whereas ST Elite+, not so much. You can also use AA miles for longhaul J on partners for very reasonable amounts. I'm certainly not leaving AA anytime soon.

I just chimed in on this thread because I think it's actually a good move by Delta. Certainly terrible for AMEX though.
I switched to DL from AA last year (pros and cons to both, as with everything. DL works for me at the moment. No hard feeling against AA at all, just where life took me at this point). The one thing I'm shocked by (and pleased by for AA fliers) is that AA has not implemented FCM yet like DL/UA. I can't expect that will last forever though (but hope it does for AA fliers!)
ty97 is offline  
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:00 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: MCO
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 4,257
Originally Posted by ty97
I switched to DL from AA last year (pros and cons to both, as with everything. DL works for me at the moment. No hard feeling against AA at all, just where life took me at this point). The one thing I'm shocked by (and pleased by for AA fliers) is that AA has not implemented FCM yet like DL/UA. I can't expect that will last forever though (but hope it does for AA fliers!)
I think the main reason AA hasn't gone to pushing for more FCM is AA aircraft generally have less F seats compared to others. AAs A319s only have 8F vs DLs 12F, AAs A321s have 16F vs DLs A321s/757s with 20F.
MCO Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.