Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I am speechless. This is the biggest FU to come from DL in quite some time. AMEX platinum card is now worthless. I'll likely cancel it and shift my card spend over to my AA card. If DL wanted to thin the herd this was a good way to do it. It's clear my loyalty to DL is one-sided. Not any more.

Anyone spending a quarter million dollars on a single credit card is unlikely to need or be very interested in any airline's "elite" status. They will either be flying private (an increasingly attractive option) or buying premium tickets. So this threshold looks both silly and pointless.
BamaGirl, Seabilly and hi55us like this.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
In a way, this makes Platinum really easy to maintain for many years to come.
I wonder whether DL thought to consider that.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
Just got the email from Delta.

For a Platinum AMEX card the waiver limit goes from $25K in a year to $250K. Holy crap!

Is this the same for Reserve card? Not sure its worth it to keep the DL Platinum AMEX at this point except for miles. Does it earn at the same rate as gold?
I just got that email too, holy crap that is a lot of money for a DM waiver...

FYI all this is JUST for DM. FO, GM, and PM still have the $25,000 spend waiver.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:31 am

Do most people hitting Diamond even need the waiver? $15K MQD sounds like a lot, but it seems like you're going to spend close to that to fly 125K MQMs.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Overall I'm not thrilled with this degradation but I think it might actually help me. I resumed travelling after a sabbatical last year. I'm not a high roller but I usually travel from mid-market to mid-market on shorter hops that are over-priced, so my MQD will easily be over $15K this year and assuming I keep same routes (likely), then it will not be an issue. I fly every other week and at $600-800 per trip with 3-4K MQM, I'm easily going to hit $15K. Then just do a MR to round up at end of year after Amex MQM bonuses post.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So DL can move KE to Group 1 with full MQMs and there will still be a big disincentive to using KE.

Now many people will need to watch their MQDs a lot more than MQMs for DM.
huh? what is "KE"?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Interesting and I guess not surprising. As a lowly DL-hub-trapped sort-of frequent flier who seems to spend in the range of $11K-$13K MQDs yearly, this will put me in the position late next year of deciding whether to do a "status run", basically booking an overseas trip or two in Business that I would have done in cheap Coach, to keep Diamond status.

May or may not be worth it! We will see. I am pushing 55 and have enjoyed the decade of playing the games to maintain status.

Delta AMEX is going bye-bye, most likely. Not sure if worth it based on just the companion certificate, likely not.

I do have to say at least Delta gave us plenty of lead time for this.

Programs: DL DM
This 10x increase is crazy. It's designed for most of us not to hit it.
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Wow Renes Points broke this over 2 months early

(Just got the email)
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I will make Diamond by next month, but it will be really close to hit the $15k by the end of the year since I had a fair amount of roll over MQMs. Curious though, I'm moving from SLC to Dallas and have three options - try to get a status match on AA out of DFW or WN out of DAL, or stick with DL to enjoy DM. I'll definitely have to do more connecting, and I'm guessing ticket prices will be much cheaper out of DFW than SLC... So what's the right thing to do? With this change, the Reserve card has far less value. And I'll have SkyClub next year anyway. I suppose I could also stop flying DL this year and switch now, thus rolling over almost 50,000 MQMs.

I'll be traveling a bit less, so what would everyone recommend? Stick with DL and probably be GM or PM in 2019? Switch to WN and RR Visa? Switch to AA and their Citi Card? Have to also mention I'll live pretty close to Love Field.
Check the precise details, but IIRC there's a big AAdvantage to doing an AA status match/challenge in the second half of the year.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Anyone spending a quarter million dollars on a single credit card is unlikely to need or be very interested in any airline's "elite" status. They will either be flying private (an increasingly attractive option) or buying premium tickets. So this threshold looks both silly and pointless.
That's not entirely accurate. Service professionals, like business consultants and lawyers, often have large client expenses that can be passed through a credit card. In other words, the clients are paying the expenses that rack up so much card spend, not the actual credit card holder. I'm far from rich but I put about $200,000 through my cards. I don't think I want to put all of that on Delta cards, however, so even if my business grows and I can put an additional $50,000 in spend on credit cards next year, I don't think Amex is going to get my business much longer.

Last edited by GatorBlues; Sep 26, 2017 at 10:43 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
Originally Posted by ND76
I just cleared the DM hurdle on this weekend's travel; I now have 126,105 MQMs (including a 29,000+ rollover) on a spend of $7,854.00 (I cleared the $25k AMEX waiver a few weeks ago). I probably will spend another $2k or so before the end of the year, and will probably end up with around 140k MQMs and about $10k MQDs.

As long as I have pre-check, get a free checked bag and lounge access on SkyTeam partners, I'll be OK. I won't travel as much as I currently do, but on the trips I take to the west coast, I'll use FCM deals when I feel that I need F seating.
I'm almost there as well.
I will be making DM for the first time this year. I will see if next year I can make it on only MQD alone.

the only reason I have Reserve card is for SC access and bonus MQMs.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:35 am

It will significantly impact me, in two ways: (1) a large proportion of my miles are earned on relatively low-cost TPAC flights. (2) Next year, I anticipate less travel than this year, and was counting on rollover miles to keep my status at Diamond. The rollover benefit is significantly devalued by this radical change.

I'd love to hear from others thinking about cancelling or downgrading their Delta AmEx cards.
Seabilly and anasek like this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: HH G, SPG G, DL PM
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Do most people hitting Diamond even need the waiver? $15K MQD sounds like a lot, but it seems like you're going to spend close to that to fly 125K MQMs.
YOUR 2016 NUMBERS (FOR 2017 STATUS)
126,694 MQM's
41 MQSs
$7,985 MQDs
$70,779 AMEX CARD SPEND

I did...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.