Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I wonder how long it will be before delta starts putting a limit on the number of MQM's you can apply for status from Am Ex spend
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by mikeef
Thus, I'm surrendering $525 in rewards, not to mention locking myself into Delta flights for the year and a rewards currency that has no set value. I'm also dealing with the fact that, while Diamond status will make it that much more likely that I will get upgraded, Delta is actively trying to sell those upgrades to passengers who will pay for them.
Don't forget a few of the other benefits of the Reserve:

BOGO First Class (or economy) ticket
Skyclub access (if you aren't a DM already)

Those can assist making up some value for your remaining $525. The First Class Bogo being the more realisitic value here.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JayTeaBee

Those can assist making up some value for your remaining $525. The First Class Bogo being the more realisitic value here.
You could be a DM and not choose it also (I didn't).
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
My wife called to cancel her Amex Reserve today, as the annual fee just posted. After complaining about the change to the MQD waiver they offered her 25k miles or a $400 statement credit to keep the card. She choose the statement credit.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
My wife called to cancel her Amex Reserve today, as the annual fee just posted. After complaining about the change to the MQD waiver they offered her 25k miles or a $400 statement credit to keep the card. She choose the statement credit.
So they effectively cut the annual fee to $50? Wow.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Why do you assume these two things (waiver boost to $250k for DM and more FCM) are connected? If this move reduces the number of DMs, then anybody who's either (a) still going to be DM,or (b) still going to be a PM, benefits in the competition for whatever number of FC seats are available for upgrade.
They're not directly connected... my points is that FCM is ever increasing. Delta has already stated that they don't want to give away upgrades. Their goal is to sell those seats. Whoever thinks they are going to be in a better upgrade situation in a smaller pool of DMs is very shortsighted, as those upgrade seats are being sold and will be bought outright by some of the former DMs.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by rylan
They're not directly connected... my points is that FCM is ever increasing. Delta has already stated that they don't want to give away upgrades. Their goal is to sell those seats. Whoever thinks they are going to be in a better upgrade situation in a smaller pool of DMs is very shortsighted, as those upgrade seats are being sold and will be bought outright by some of the former DMs.
If we assume that people who would have made DM, but now only PM, end up buying more F seats as a response, so the total pool of seats available for upgrade shrinks as a result of this move, then:

1. If you're a PM, you're no worse off, since you wouldn't have gotten that seat anyway. The fact that it was bought by a former DM vs. that DM getting it for free, is irrelevant.
2. If you're remaining a DM, then you're still probably better off. The only scenario where you're worse off is if the no-longer-DM buys a F seat (so you don't get it), but, if the no-longer-DM were still a DM, you would have beaten that DM for the free upgrade based on tiebreakers. That might well happen in some cases, but I'm skeptical that it will outweigh the cases where the no-longer-DMs either just stick with PM, and don't pay to upgrade, or fly other carriers entirely.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee

Totally forgot about the Bogo F flight. Good point.

Mike
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:49 pm

The real downside to this.....

If there are fewer DMs we might not have near the entertainment as the "entitled" try to figure out why someone got a seat they think they deserve! (I still laugh when I think about the man who got on our flight in MSP and started quizzing every passenger in First to find who took HIS upgrade!)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by rylan
...Whoever thinks they are going to be in a better upgrade situation in a smaller pool of DMs is very shortsighted, as those upgrade seats are being sold and will be bought outright by some of the former DMs.
I agree; although, I plan to move my $$ elsewhere due to the change, I will probably purchase F when DL offers direct connections.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Question

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
The real downside to this.....

If there are fewer DMs we might not have near the entertainment as the "entitled" try to figure out why someone got a seat they think they deserve! (I still laugh when I think about the man who got on our flight in MSP and started quizzing every passenger in First to find who took HIS upgrade!)
Maybe the DM's that drop to PM that decide to buy first tickets can start hanging their new PM tags on their bags and making sure they are visible in the bins so the DM's that didn't get upgraded can start questioning if they lost their upgrade to a pm
Seabilly likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles DM
Great move

Maybe they should have just eliminated MQD waver. Though I think it is a great move. Reward those who spend money on tickets and fly a lot. I like the MQD on tickets idea. Reward those who pay. Never have a problem reaching MDQ on ticket purchase.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I wonder how long it will be before delta starts putting a limit on the number of MQM's you can apply for status from Am Ex spend
You mean the spend bonus MQM like how I get 10K MQM at 25K and just got another 10K MQM at 50K? I thought it was capped at 20K (10+10) and 30K (15+15) for Platinum and Reserve cards already? If not, I've made a huge mistake by switching spend to my Ritz card.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bergamini
You mean the spend bonus MQM like how I get 10K MQM at 25K and just got another 10K MQM at 50K? I thought it was capped at 20K (10+10) and 30K (15+15) for Platinum and Reserve cards already? If not, I've made a huge mistake by switching spend to my Ritz card.
Some people have two AmEx DL Plat credit cards and two Reserve cards, so that they can get 100,000 MQMs. In addition, Reserve card MQMs can be "gifted" (but I suspect that in some cases they're really sold, which is not allowed) in apparently unlimited amounts into a single DL FF account.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some people have two AmEx DL Plat credit cards and two Reserve cards, so that they can get 100,000 MQMs. In addition, Reserve card MQMs can be "gifted" (but I suspect that in some cases they're really sold, which is not allowed) in apparently unlimited amounts into a single DL FF account.
Thank you. I knew there was something I was missing. I am still a neophyte when it comes to cards and spend. Don't ask how long I used the Flex Perks card for after the merger; I'm not good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.